Another question: WR corps

Evans looks like "the Man," but of course Josh Reed did his first year too. Can Evans beat the Sophmore jinx, and can Reed get past the "dropsies?" Or was it that Drew was throwing the ball wrong, causing Reed to drop it?

And of course, what about Moulds? I had good hopes for him last year, as it was an even year, and we all know that Moulds only plays well on the even years....Has he not recovered from the injury in '03? Will he ever recover? And I can't believe I am saying this, but rudy's question was a good one, is this his last year in a Bills uniform? I had always heard that TD was vehemently against restructures, but yet he did it with Moulds and only bought us a year of keeping Moulds at a reasonable cap hit...

Behind those three, what do we really have? Can Fast Freddie make it as a receiver, or will he just be a return man? Will Aiken step up as the #3 if Josh shows that maybe it wasn't Drew that was the problem?

And "the rest..." anyone see NFL Europe assignee LaDaris Vann in the CFL or AFL or at the U of Cincinnati? And George Wilson?

Is this an area we need to address in the draft? Do we need to be looking for our Moulds replacement now?

To me, we don't need BOTH Josh Reed and Sam Aiken. Let them battle it out for which one stays. Neither has a lot of speed or has shown they truly belong and could now start if necessary. Fast Freddie surprised me with his shiftiness and Mularkey and TC will likely find ways to use him as the #4 or #5. I would love to see them bring in Kevin Johnson for a look, or draft a guy with some size and speed in the 3rd or 4th round if we cannot pick up a vet.

Nothing would make me happier than to see Josh Reed get over the sophomore hump and become a viable #3. It takes balls to go over the middle consistently, and if he could just be more reliable, it'd be great to have him and Aiken playing well.

What I don't understand, and have never understood, is how a guy can play so well one year and play so poorly the next. It's not like he wasn't able to get open. He just flat out couldn't grab the ball anymore. I suspect some of that has to do with his getting demoted, with of course plays with your psyche.

Who knows.

Nothing would make me happier than to see Josh Reed get over the sophomore hump and become a viable #3. It takes balls to go over the middle consistently, and if he could just be more reliable, it'd be great to have him and Aiken playing well.

What I don't understand, and have never understood, is how a guy can play so well one year and play so poorly the next. It's not like he wasn't able to get open. He just flat out couldn't grab the ball anymore. I suspect some of that has to do with his getting demoted, with of course plays with your psyche.

Who knows.

298497[/snapback]

Actually it started happening when he was promoted not demoted. He was quite efficient and reliable as a rookie and playing the slot as a #3 between Moulds and Peerless. When we started 2003, with him starting opposite Moulds, even in the opening slaughter of the Patsies Josh dropped the flea flicker right in his hands, and one (and arguably two) slant passes right in his hands, one of which would have gone for a TD. He then dropped another or two in the following blowout over Jacksonville, and hasn't been consistent since.

He did ?

298502[/snapback]

Let me put it another way: Josh was catching everything that came his way the first year. While it was clear that he was a possession type receiver rather than a speed demon, it appeared (to my feeble eyes at least) that the Bills offense was better with him on the field than off the field. Maybe "the man" was too strong, but there, in my eyes, was a marked difference between '03 and '04 in what we saw in Josh Reed. I'd want the '03 Josh Reed as at least my #3 receiver, and I think, with no other option when Moulds retires, could be the complement to Evans. The '04 Josh Reed can make sure my burger doesn't have pickles.

Evans looks like "the Man," but of course Josh Reed did his first year too.  Can Evans beat the Sophmore jinx, and can Reed get past the "dropsies?"  Or was it that Drew was throwing the ball wrong, causing Reed to drop it?

And of course, what about Moulds?  I had good hopes for him last year, as it was an even year, and we all know that Moulds only plays well on the even years....Has he not recovered from the injury in '03?  Will he ever recover?  And I can't believe I am saying this, but rudy's question was a good one, is this his last year in a Bills uniform?  I had always heard that TD was vehemently against restructures, but yet he did it with Moulds and only bought us a year of keeping Moulds at a reasonable cap hit...

Behind those three, what do we really have?  Can Fast Freddie make it as a receiver, or will he just be a return man?  Will Aiken step up as the #3 if Josh shows that maybe it wasn't Drew that was the problem? 

And "the rest..." anyone see NFL Europe assignee LaDaris Vann in the CFL or AFL or at the U of Cincinnati?  And George Wilson? 

Is this an area we need to address in the draft?  Do we need to be looking for our Moulds replacement now?

298466[/snapback]

Fast Freddie had 78 catches for 1138 yards his senior year at GA Tech, I think he definately could be a 3rd WR in the NFL but think his best role for 2005 is as our primary punt returner. Reed and Aiken should be 3rd/4th or vice a versa. Aiken's size makes him a better end zone target then anyone other then Moulds on the roster. This is also his 3rd year which is typically when most WRs "Put it all together" we can hope it's the case.

Let me put it another way: Josh was catching everything that came his way the first year.  While it was clear that he was a possession type receiver rather than a speed demon, it appeared (to my feeble eyes at least) that the Bills offense was better with him on the field than off the field.  Maybe "the man" was too strong, but there, in my eyes, was a marked difference between '03 and '04 in what we saw in Josh Reed.  I'd want the '03 Josh Reed as at least my #3 receiver, and I think, with no other option when Moulds retires, could be the complement to Evans.  The '04 Josh Reed can make sure my burger doesn't have pickles.

298521[/snapback]

You're thinking of the 2002 Josh Reed. Both the 2003 and 2004 bobblehands sucked.

To me, we don't need BOTH Josh Reed and Sam Aiken. Let them battle it out for which one stays. Neither has a lot of speed or has shown they truly belong and could now start if necessary.

298482[/snapback]

I may have a case of faulty memory obscuring fact, but from the little I've seen out of Aiken, I like him - I think he belongs. Reed, on the other hand, seems like he's had every opportunity to succeed, but somehow manages to fall on his face.

I hope that Reed snaps out of it and becomes a reliable option - but I wouldn't be surprised if Aiken replaces him as the 3rd WR this year.

You're thinking of the 2002 Josh Reed. Both the 2003 and 2004 bobblehands sucked.

298527[/snapback]

Sorry, you're right, it's all a blur. :doh:

It doesn't matter, it was Bledsoe throwing the ball wrong anyway, so having JP in there will automatically fix it....right....?

Let me put it another way: Josh was catching everything that came his way the first year.  While it was clear that he was a possession type receiver rather than a speed demon, it appeared (to my feeble eyes at least) that the Bills offense was better with him on the field than off the field.  Maybe "the man" was too strong, but there, in my eyes, was a marked difference between '03 and '04 in what we saw in Josh Reed.  I'd want the '03 Josh Reed as at least my #3 receiver, and I think, with no other option when Moulds retires, could be the complement to Evans.  The '04 Josh Reed can make sure my burger doesn't have pickles.

298521[/snapback]

Point taken. I think Evans will be a true star in this League. Great hands to go with blazing speed.

I'm not sure how the Bills view the slot WR position anymore. With a 1st year QB, the Bills should be running more to set up the pass. If they use the FB frequently to block for MaGahee, then it's not a big concern.

Reed and Aiken may be getting their last chance to show something, prior to opening day. Freddie Smith serves a role as a return man but these 2 would be wise to play with a sense of urgency this summer.

If Reed, Aiken and Fast Freddie falter during the spring mini-camps, look for TD to bring in a vet journeymen WR like a Tai Streets. I don't have the link(here at work) to a free agency site that is updated regularly, but I know there are numerous vets out there who could fill in for a year or so as a #3 or #4.