Do you rely on online reviews?

Another Fan

I trust Amazon product reviews. Restaurants reviews rarely, live and learn is my dining approach.

Reviews of Doctors never, I know enough Professional people in the health field to properly guide me. 

4.5-5 star resorts, hotels, B'n'B's only. Movies never. Not because of the review but because of who goes.

Edited by I am the egg man

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Ever read some 1 star reviews? "UPS delivered a day late!"  How in the world does that matter to the product performance.  

I LOVE reading the 1 star novels; absolutely hilarious. These are the people holding up lines all over the country with ridiculous complaints. 

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Yes, I read them, no I do not necessarily rely on them.

Ever read some 1 star reviews? "UPS delivered a day late!"  How in the world does that matter to the product performance.  

I do find myself reading 1-2-3 star reviews more often than 5-star reviews, however. If a product/service sucks, I want to know why. After reading, I then make my decision. For local restaurants? I ask my brother.  He's an exterminator. If he tells me "Do NOT eat there", we listen (sucks because he told us that about one of our favorite Thai restaurants). 

Off topic but this reminded me of something that happened when I worked at Olive Garden in Amherst when I was in college. They had a real bad roach problem and a few of them decided to walk across an occupied table. The guests complained and were given gift cards. They came back the next day and ate. They were everywhere it was gross. 

The galleria mall food court was much worse. Never eat at those Chinese restaurants. 

• Like (+1) 1

I feel like the utility of reviews in general started out as a great concept in theory but given the ease with which they can be manipulated or skewed unfairly, forces me to look at them with a jaundiced eye. So much so that they will barely register in terms of a final decision, which is sad. The wifey on the other hand really goes by them so I guess we balance out in the wash? 

17 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I used to base approximately 90% of my purchases for expensive items on reviews, but now I kind of take them with a grain of salt due to being able to use external sources to completely skew the reviews. ....someone posted a good piece a few weeks ago about how ***** Yelp is an how its basically extortion.  A good read.

The poster who did that was me, @Limeaid.  

And I take them with grain of salt now.

Edited by Limeaid