Do you firework?

On 6/24/2019 at 11:05 PM, Gugny said:

They sell them on every corner and in every supermarket.  Not illegal at all.

We do the quiet ones.  Dog across the street has serious anxiety from loud noises.  Unfortunately, multiple redneck neighbors don't have the same consideration.

yeah, they opened up the limited legality of them a few years back, in 2015 i think maybe.

On 6/25/2019 at 9:06 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Notice the states that permit exploding and aerial fireworks are FOR THE MOST PART "Red States":

The following states permit the sale of all or most types of consumer fireworks to residents: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, and West Virginia.

What New York sells are non-exploding, non-aerial novelties:

"The following states allow the sale and use of non-aerial and non-explosive fireworks (also called "safe and sane") like novelties, fountains and sparklers, etc.: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Maryland, Minnesota, New York, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, Virginia, Wisconsin, and the District of Columbia."

Feels_047353_6367797.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/25/2019 at 11:42 AM, KD in CA said:

We were up in ‘red state’ California over the weekend.  Ain’t nobody got nuthin on some of the redneck fireworks action up in Plumas County.

That's pretty much the western Southern Tier.  Between being cheek-to-jowl with Pennsylvania and Ohio, with West Virginia a few hours south, as well as having a couple of Seneca Nation of Indians reservations in Cat County, fireworks of the aerial and boom kinds are easy to obtain, and fireworks' illegality doesn't seem to enter into the minds of anybody, not even law enforcement.  Maybe the local gendarmes figure better the rednecks shoot off ordinary fireworks -- as long as they don't burn anything down -- than they "improvise".    

On 6/25/2019 at 12:26 PM, Not at the table Karlos said:

I haven’t in a while but my neighbors put on a show the last two years that was better than any professional event.

I think a few of them put a few grand each in and go nuts, it’s very impressive. The first year it was close to an hour, consistent and you couldn’t see a lot of the lower ones after 5 mins because of the smoke. The entire neighborhood was blanketed in it. They did it right in the middle of the street I don’t know how the police didn’t shut them down. The second year they spread it out over a couple days 15 mins at a time. 

Or Pennsylvania where only out of state customers can buy. Illegal in pa and ny but they have a ton of them on the pa/ny line

edit- pa recently changed their law allowing certain fireworks similar to NY

I usually go with a friend to her brother's shindig in his house that overlooks Chautauqua Lake.  He sinks probably $3-4 grand into his show, and his richer neighbor spends at least 2 or 3 times that.  Between them, they probably put on a better show than most of the little burgs around here.   Most of the folks at this party, especially the ones doing the fireworks, are at least in their thirties so there's a whole lot less alcohol involved than there were at some of my family events a few decades ago. 

• Like (+1) 1