How many posters wing it on facts

Like I said before, if someone's posting something as fact, and you have a hard time swallowing it, call 'im on it.  Ask where he gets his facts from.  Why should this be any different from watching the network news.  I can watch the same event covered by both FOX and CNN, be bashed by two conflicting adgendas, and be hard-pressed to tell you the actual facts beneath the piles of BS.

294485[/snapback]

I do (frequently), but get attacked because of it (also frequently). For example, I always bring up the newspaper article from last year that said something like, "The Bills have passed the ball on 1,385,385 straight 3rd and 2 or less plays." Guess what? Completely false. Didn't stop everyone and their brother from posting it as gospel. Drives me up the wall (no pun intended :) ).

CW

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All it means is, if it's something like what round a player was drafted or how many yards a player ran for in a given game if I'm not 100% sure I look it up to be sure I'm accurately stating something that happened.  If I vaguely remember something but can't verify it I'll say something like "he fumbled in the double digits" as I did recently referring to Henry since his fumble stats weren't readily available. 

Since I have access to about 20 Bills media guides & draft orders publications since the merger, I prefer not to wing it when discussing absolute events. 

The post's origin really had nothing to do with ego.  It was the result of viewing a lot of inaccurate statements over the offseason on a variety of boards that I visit & in the media.  Unfortunately, Pac_Man's post was the one I specifically cited, although I didn't see his post as any different than other's which had me building up to my post.  (Sorry for singling you out Pac_Man)  The frustrations of an offseason of people saying things a lot worse than Pac_Man got me to the point that I had to say something.  The members of the national media are among the biggest offenders & I'd had enough.

There was nothing I feel that was egotistical about demanding an attempt at accuracy when someone makes a statement.  Most things stated on this board are opinions, and anyone is entitled to think & post whatever they want (Although if someone says we're going to trade the team to SF to draft a QB they should expect a lot of negative feedback).  But when you are stating historical facts, you should be more careful.  If you're stating an absolute but can't verify it just say "I think" before the statement & that tells others you recall to the best of your abilities but didn't verify it.

294742[/snapback]

No problem, bro. My post about TD's Pittsburgh late round picks was indeed careless, so your original criticism was justified. I intend to make sure that magnitude of error will remain a one-time thing.

I thought I had read/heard Levy saying something along the lines of having run into about 300,000 (or some absurd number) people who were at the Comeback game during his travels....

Kinda like how everyone who was alive in the '60's went to Woodstock...

:doh:

294734[/snapback]

Facts:

I watched the Comeback Game at Hitchcock's bar and never left.

I did not go to Woodstock because my friend's car broke down.

:)

If I am expressing my opinion, I am always right. :doh: