How many posters wing it on facts

A disturbing trend I've noticed is a lot of posters wing it on their memories and post totally erroneous information as facts in their posts when discussing NFL drafts/games/stats/history. The latest example today is a post which names 3 out of the 5 players who were 1st day selections by TD in Pittsburgh as 2nd day selections.

My question is: how many of you don't give a rat's @ss what the truth is & will post anything to increase your # of posts & how many feel some sense of responsibility to get it right when you post "facts" This obviously does not apply to opinions, only stuff you can look up somewhere.

I feel posters should have a sense of responsibilty. Whenever I'm posting facts, I try to look it up if I have any questions as to the accuracy of my statements about the Bills/NFL. If I can't find the answer in one of my publications, I'll say something that clearly gives the reader the information I'm not 100% sure of my statement about history.

We need to be a little more diligent when giving out information.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A disturbing trend I've noticed is a lot of posters wing it on their memories and post totally erroneous information as facts in their posts when discussing NFL drafts/games/stats/history.  The latest example today is a post which names 3 out of the 5 players who were 1st day selections by TD in Pittsburgh as 2nd day selections.

My question is: how many of you don't give a rat's @ss what the truth is & will post anything to increase your # of posts & how many feel some sense of responsibility to get it right when you post "facts"  This obviously does not apply to opinions, only stuff you can look up somewhere. 

I feel posters should have a sense of responsibilty.  Whenever I'm posting facts, I try to look it up if I have any questions as to the accuracy of my statements about the Bills/NFL.  If I can't find the answer in one of my publications, I'll say something that clearly gives the reader the information I'm not 100% sure of my statement about history. 

294370[/snapback]

I'd answer, but my microwave just dinged so I have to go get my hot pocket. :angry:

A disturbing trend I've noticed is a lot of posters wing it on their memories and post totally erroneous information as facts in their posts when discussing NFL drafts/games/stats/history.  The latest example today is a post which names 3 out of the 5 players who were 1st day selections by TD in Pittsburgh as 2nd day selections.

My question is: how many of you don't give a rat's @ss what the truth is & will post anything to increase your # of posts & how many feel some sense of responsibility to get it right when you post "facts"  This obviously does not apply to opinions, only stuff you can look up somewhere. 

I feel posters should have a sense of responsibilty.  Whenever I'm posting facts, I try to look it up if I have any questions as to the accuracy of my statements about the Bills/NFL.  If I can't find the answer in one of my publications, I'll say something that clearly gives the reader the information I'm not 100% sure of my statement about history. 

294370[/snapback]

Shockingly, I agree with this. When someone states something as fact, I believe it. If I'm out at a bar, or just BSing about the Bills at work, I wouldn't hesitate to use a piece of information someone here claimed as fact in my conversations.

That being said, reading Marv Levy's book shows that even the guy who ran this machine for many years has plenty of memories that aren't exactly reminicent of what happened at the time. . .

Hey, move this post to PPP, buddy.  I think it's most appropriate there.

294384[/snapback]

That's why I limited my statements to NFL/Bills. You can find anything in print to support a political view, be it totally true or totally false, but if a guy was drafted in the 1st round or rushed for 100 yards on a given Sunday, you can't revise history-call him a 2nd day pick or say he rushed for 40 yards and find anything to support your statement.

294370[/snapback]

I plead the 6th

You can find anything in print to support a political view, be it totally true or totally false, but if a guy was drafted in the 1st round or rushed for 100 yards on a given Sunday, you can't revise history-call him a 2nd day pick or say he rushed for 40 yards and find anything to support your statement.

294389[/snapback]

It's still the same point - take a fact, ignore salient points that detract from your preconceived position, and voila, an opinion is formed.

What's the difference in whether a guy is drafted on a Sunday or whether there's no Social Security trust fund?

294370[/snapback]

All right, I'm the culprit that messed up. When we first hired TD, I saw an article about how successful he'd been on the second day of the draft while in Pittsburgh. I thought I'd remembered the names correctly, but I must have been mistaken. (I guess there's always a chance the article was mistaken, but chances are the problem was me.)

But a complaint about people trying to get their number of posts up is a little hard to swallow considering the accuser has over 2000 posts, and the accused has less than 50.

Guest BackInDaDay
Shockingly, I agree with this. When someone states something as fact, I believe it. If I'm out at a bar, or just BSing about the Bills at work, I wouldn't hesitate to use a piece of information someone here claimed as fact in my conversations. 

That being said, reading Marv Levy's book shows that even the guy who ran this machine for many years has plenty of memories that aren't exactly reminicent of what happened at the time. . .

294380[/snapback]

Not sure who to pat on the back for this post.. the man, the myth, or the legend.

If I may elaborate on your point...

This forum is a collection of many such barroom and water-cooler discussions, flavored with exaggeration and personal bias. That's cool. I don't come here expecting my fellow posters be factual. Hell, I don't even trust ESPN to be factual.

I think the best we can do as fans is to remain passionate about our team, shoot from the hip, and be thick-skinned when we're called. :)

294370[/snapback]

I think most posters here have responsibility when they post, but I believe there are a handful here that just want to stir things up and get a rise out of people with outlandish comments

Guest BackInDaDay
I think most posters here have responsibility when they post, but I believe there are a handful here that just want to stir things up and get a rise out of people with outlandish comments

294463[/snapback]

Damn kids today! :)

Guest BackInDaDay
It's called revisionist history! It has become almost second nature on College Campuses across the Country. I guess there could be a little bleed through on any "open" site like this one....

294481[/snapback]

Like I said before, if someone's posting something as fact, and you have a hard time swallowing it, call 'im on it. Ask where he gets his facts from. Why should this be any different from watching the network news. I can watch the same event covered by both FOX and CNN, be bashed by two conflicting adgendas, and be hard-pressed to tell you the actual facts beneath the piles of BS.