Trout Mask Replica Turns 50 Years Old

T&C

Your take:  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Your take:

• This one is so great I wish it were a triple Lp.
    • I just listened to it for the first time and suddenly feel the need to take a shower.
    • A good listen every year or two.

Came out in 1969 obviously... I can't think of anything that even comes close to this one. Produced by FZ, this would be around the Uncle Meat/Wild Man Fischer days. Some of it makes me laugh to this day but really can only handle it once a year or so. "The Blimp" will always be a classic though. Below is a review by people I've never heard of but it might be helpful to some, I don't know.

From the "Show More" of this video:

Trout Mask Replica, by Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band was inducted into the Library of Congress' national recording registry in 2010 - nearly 40 years after it's release. The album has been widely cited by artists of all kinds as a shining point of creativity and original thought - it also is very very hard to listen to. It's the musical equivalent of a Jackson Pollock painting. Its discordant rhythms and motifs sound made up on the spot by a child, but every sound and riff you hear on the album was arduously rehearsed over the course of a year by a group of young musicians who were remarkable in their own right. 

The Gem itself:

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

Every year or two, or unless I needed to clear out a lot of unwanted guests in five minutes

Why would you have a lot of unwanted guests in the first place, should have had this playing at the front door. Once all wanted guests are safely in, switch to: ___________. Or,  __________.

This is a "one of its kind" deal imo... probably why FZ signed on. Musician wise this is pretty genius... despite the sound this was a hard one to play. The Magic band looked like a bunch of weirdo's but they for sure had talent at their respective instruments.

The diversity on this Board is amazing. We have a guy who guards our inland waters (not even our borders or coastline), a Mets fan who believes he’ll see a Championship before the second coming, another guy whose idea of ribs is three packs of Lloyd’s on a smoker, and now this. You guys make me appreciate life. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, T&C said:

Why would you have a lot of unwanted guests in the first place, should have had this playing at the front door. Once all wanted guests are safely in, switch to: ___________. Or,  __________.

This is a "one of its kind" deal imo... probably why FZ signed on. Musician wise this is pretty genius... despite the sound this was a hard one to play. The Magic band looked like a bunch of weirdo's but they for sure had talent at their respective instruments.

I just look forward to a quiet day off, watch some meaningless Bowl games, and next thing I know there’s people around.

14 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Wasn't "Clear Spot" recorded in one long take?

I couldn't tell you... never got into Beefheart other than TMR, Safe as Milk, and stuff he did with Zappa (Bongo Fury, etc.). Someone else may know.

1 hour ago, dickleyjones said:

great music. i prefer a live performance, these are some amazing musicians in action:

I know that's Estrada on bass but is that Art Tripp on drums? If not it sure looks a lot like him.

An invasion of German TV in 1972.

Never the same since.

Will give TMR a spin during a tick and bob audit afternoon.....

has to be the longest 1:41 to open an album ever