Automated Balls and Strikes

Another Fan

Would you like MLB to adapt an automated balls and strike system?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like MLB to adapt an automated balls and strike system?

• Yes
    • No

In the Atlantic League locally the Somerset Patriots have started or are going to start automated balls and strikes.  I might be wrong but I believe MLB wants to see how its going to work out and if that's something they want to pursue.

https://www.mycentraljersey.com/story/sports/baseball/patriots/2019/05/16/somerset-patriots-nj-test-mlb-new-automated-umpiring-system/3669083002/

What are your thoughts on it?  On the one hand it should I reiterate should give a fair ball and strike zone.  On the other hand more and more of the human element is taken from the game.

I'd be more in favor of somehow tracking fair versus foul balls.  Though Santana may not have gotten the 1st and only Mets no hitter.  

The nuance of the game allows for a flexible strike zone based on the variables of each pitch

so grateful umps call it differently on 3-0 and 0-2 pitches to make players earn a walk or K

and as always, if you are convinced your team is being conspired against on every call, nothing will make you feel better

• Like (+1) 1

• 6 months later...