Presidential Comission

I do not agree. NSA and NRO need to be part of the same intelligence structure. Why would they be separate?

292973[/snapback]

Because NSA and NRO have completely different missions from the others.

Especially NRO, which is in charge of the spy satellites.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because NSA and NRO have completely different missions from the others.

I don't agree there. NSA's cryptology and SIGINT fall under intel gathering. If you want to remove the IA (Information Assurance) part of NSA, then fine. You need to keep the remainder of the organization under one line of command.

Especially NRO, which is in charge of the spy satellites.

292975[/snapback]

IMINT is used by the intel agencies. Why would the gathering of intelligence via IMINT be separated from the gathering of intel via HUMINT, etc.? This all falls under S&TI which belongs under one line of command.

I don't agree there. NSA's cryptology and SIGINT fall under intel gathering. If you want to remove the IA (Information Assurance) part of NSA, then fine. You need to keep the remainder of the organization under one line of command.

IMINT is used by the intel agencies. Why would the gathering of intelligence via IMINT be separated from the gathering of intel via HUMINT, etc.? This all falls under S&TI which belongs under one line of command.

292983[/snapback]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't NRO around for the purpose of ensuring satellites get built and maintained, not fro the management of the imagery they produce?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't NRO around for the purpose of ensuring satellites get built and maintained, not fro the management of the imagery they produce?

293032[/snapback]

It gathers intel along with building the satellites.

Thanks. I have been studying the DPRK for several years.

292944[/snapback]

You're welcome. The DPRK is one of the few subjects on which I can speak with authority, and I can recognize when someone has done their homework.

Having said that, one of the only other topics I know anything about is the US intelligence structure. There are quite a few suggestions being made about reorganizing the US intel structure in this thread. Some of the points raised have merit, but some display a misunderstanding of the specific roles of the agencies mentioned. Overall structure and working relationships between agencies can be analyzed to an extent by the casual observer, but there are suggestions to combine specific agencies (such as the FBI and CIA) that frankly would be out of the question. Lastly, I would suggest that internal workings of agencies is impossible to know without actual experience.

You're welcome. The DPRK is one of the few subjects on which I can speak with authority, and I can recognize when someone has done their homework.

Having said that, one of the only other topics I know anything about is the US intelligence structure. There are quite a few suggestions being made about reorganizing the US intel structure in this thread. Some of the points raised have merit, but some display a misunderstanding of the specific roles of the agencies mentioned. Overall structure and working relationships between agencies can be analyzed to an extent by the casual observer, but there are suggestions to combine specific agencies (such as the FBI and CIA) that frankly would be out of the question. Lastly, I would suggest that internal workings of agencies is impossible to know without actual experience.

293084[/snapback]

What is your opinion of my recommendation to eliminate the police officer role of the FBI and keep them in the intel business?

I looked at Saddam the same way as Kim Jong Il. A guy who has a strong amount of control over a small region of the country and less to none the further you got from the main city. The good thing about it was he was basically isolated, until the invasion which drew together the nation (much as it did ours after 9/11). The inspections were thorough and were working. The idea that we had to attack NOW never sat right with me b/c that's the argument someone uses when they want you to make a decision based on less than the facts.

I didn't advocate involvement w/ Iraq much as I didn't advocate being World Cop in Somalia and Bosnia. And how I don't advocate attacking NK and causing a tide of nationalism that would make the daily parades seem like standard maneuvers. It's actually sad to see the Repubs who once said Live and Let Die (But If You So Much As Come Near Us, You're Effin' Toast) change places with the bleeding heart Liberals.

Saddam killed his own people. Wah. Finland doesn't attack us b/c the BTK serial killer was a Town Dog Catcher. The humanitarian reasons were the only ones I ever actually bought as being the truth, and they stunk.

292243[/snapback]

I was against the war at first, but we acted on what we had. The intelligence was wrong, but hindsight is 20/20. What if the intelligence was correct, and we didnt act on it? You can't have it both ways.

I think what we'll be looking at is promotions and career advancements. One of the hallmarks of this administration is that the worse your blunder, the higher the rewards. Bremer got a Medal of Freedom. The primary mover & shaker in the torture controversy is now Attorney General. The guy who spearheaded the movement to tell the UN to "piss off" is now our UN Ambasador. My guess is that they'll identify the person who told the most and the worst lies, and make him the Director of the new Department of Truth.

I think what we'll be looking at is promotions and career advancements. One of the hallmarks of this administration is that the worse your blunder, the higher the rewards. Bremer got a Medal of Freedom. The primary mover & shaker in the torture controversy is now Attorney General. The guy who spearheaded the movement to tell the UN to "piss off" is now our UN Ambasador. My guess is that they'll identify the person who told the most and the worst lies, and make him the Director of the new Department of Truth.

293105[/snapback]

hasn't the UN actually begun to acknowledge its own corruption though? I admit myself, I was one of the MOST critical people of the administration, and attimes I can honestly say that I hoped they would fail.

After seeing some of the results, I admit I was wrong, and am embarrassed about the stance I took.

I'm against combining the intelligence agencies. The current alignment allows for a check and balance system between the agencies. I don't like the prospect of having one super intelligence agency with a huge black budget. It's just too much power to give to a secret part of government.

293105[/snapback]

Also Paul Wolfowitz is about to become head of the World Bank.

293105[/snapback]

Ah, the refreshing sounds of the voice of reason. So nice to have you back. :devil:

What is your opinion of my recommendation to eliminate the police officer role of the FBI and keep them in the intel business?

293091[/snapback]

Frankly, I don't know. The FBI is not one of the 'three-letter agencies' I'm familiar with. But I believe a couple of the major functions they perform in federal-level law enforcement and domestic intelligence are necessary, and I'm not sure how you would separate these. As separate as they may be, a level of cooperation is necessary. The law enforcement aspect may be split off and assumed by say, federal marshalls (which I know even less about), but there's a lot of crossover between law enforcement and domestic intelligence gathering.

Was there an breakdown in intel? Yes. What was the cause, though?

I fully admit to not being read-up on the topic, but is it not at least possible that whatever WMD Iraq had under Saddam are now in Syria?

Is it not possible these weapons were in Iraq-pre-war?

292248[/snapback]

Heavy reliance upon the use of technology to gain intelligence began during George Bush Sr's term and progressively worsened during the Clinton's term. HUMINT takes years and sometimes decades to foster. Without credible HUMINT, GWB was flying somewhat blind.

Not an opinion, just a fact.

Well then, in THAT regard GW has made good on his promise to run gubmint like a bidness. Because anyone here who's been in business, and is honest, knows that it's not unusual that the kudos and promotions go to empty suits who talk the talk, say what the boss wants to hear and toe the party line.

I used to work with a guy who was a blow-dried, pinstriped suit with not much under his hat, who ran our business into the ground. Yet when he left he subsequently became president of, in order, a major consulting firm and a big software company and is now the CEO of the American branch of a well-known software company. I snicker every time I think of pretty boy and his empty platitudes.

Such is life. Medals, trash and trinkets to all. And wreaths for the graves.