Couple of interesting stats from last year and my POA for 2019.

BidsJr

On 2/16/2019 at 3:19 PM, BidsJr said:

This is why I set Allens extremely impressive sack per attempt data alongside of this.

Post injury he was sacked 7 times in 181 attempts.  This did not include drop backs that turned to scrambles that went for positive gain.

I did not intend to do an exhaustive analysis on this, but simply to bring up a couple of points that I had not yet seen brought up.

It's nothing less then astonishing to see how much better Allen was at avoiding sacks after his injury then before.  And we can all agree that this wasn't because the O-line was improved.  In less then six full games before his injury Allen was sacked 21 times!  After the injury and playing 6 FULL games Allen was only sacked 7 times.

To me this amazing reduction in sacks was due to Allen getting better at seeing the field and feeling the pressure.  Importantly, Allen started trusting his athletic ability again.  Before the injury Allen often had a deer in the headlights look which was not so surprising given how little he played with the 1st team in the preseason.  I think after the injury Allen came back realizing that he had elite NFL level athleticism and that he could do some of the same stuff with his legs in the NFL that he did at Wyoming.  And guess what he was right as he demonstrated over & over again.

On 2/15/2019 at 9:05 AM, BidsJr said:

1st one is pretty obvious, Bills were 5-5 in Allen's last 10 starts with garbage all around him. If Clay catches the TD that is 6-4.

2nd one isn't so obvious, but it something that I always pay attention to with QB's. Sacks per pass attempt.

Bills QB's have been atrocious at this forever while Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers, Rodgers etc have managed to get the ball off without taking the big negative play.

Josh really excelled at this after returning from the injury. 181 pass attempts and only sacked 7 times. That is a sack taken every 26 attempts and an outstanding ratio.

My plan of action for next season would be this:

FA C
FA RT
FA #2 OR Slot WR.

Draft
R1 Trade back and pickup TJ Hockinson TE Iowa. If no trade back is available take him at 9.
R2 Guard or WR
R3 RB or whatever wasn't selected in R2 (G/WR)

Do this and we are a playoff team.

To add some context to the sack numbers

Pass attempt per sack
Allen 25.8 
Brady 19.8
PManning 30.9
Brees 24.8
Rivers 17.0
Rodgers 13.3
Favre 19.4

Recent Bills QB's
Tuh-Rod 9.5
Fitzpatrick 10.5
Manuel 12.5
Losman 8.8
Bledsoe 14.4
Johnson 5.7
Flutie 20.1
Kelly 14.8

I will add one more interesting stat about the overall effectiveness of Allen last year.

People have talked about the completion percentage ad nauseam and I am not going to go into that.

But if you add together the passing and running numbers from Josh to get an idea of overall effectiveness it comes out something like this.

258/409 for 63.0% 2705 yards 18 TD's and 13 INT's/FL

I really believe the future is very very bright.

Rob Johnson.  LOL!!

In 1998, Doug Flutie had 354 pass attempts and was sacked 12 times.

Rob Johnson had less than 1/3 the pass attempts with 107 but was sacked 29 times. 

In 2000. Flutie had 231 pass attempts and was sacked only 10 times. Johnson had more attempts with 306 but was sacked almost 5 times as much with 49.  The O-linemen must’ve really hated him.  I remember him running out of bounds on a 4th down play at the end of a game,

On 2/17/2019 at 6:16 AM, BillsFan1988 said:

I agree with u to an extent but u have to realize the scrambles are not sustainable.  Defenses will adjust to what Allen does best this off-season that's why it's imperative he adjusts his game and works on his weaknesses. 

In other words a QB is only as good as he is at his weaknesses because sooner or later that's all defenses are gonna give him. 

Almost all the potential adjustments I can think of would hurt the defense in other areas.  Afraid to play man and turn your back to him so you play more zone?  Leave one or two spies near the LOS?  Have your pass rush just push the pocket and fail to work upfield ala Detroit?   All these things just open more space on the field or limit the effectiveness of the pass rush.  Sure, take away his scrambles and suffer the consequences elsewhere.  Yes, he does need to become more capable of exploiting those advantages but that's what usually happens from year one to year two.

On 2/17/2019 at 5:55 PM, CincyBillsFan said:

I think after the injury Allen came back realizing that he had elite NFL level athleticism and that he could do some of the same stuff with his legs in the NFL that he did at Wyoming. 

Funny thing is too, he wasn't even this dominant a runner in college. I posted the stats before in another thread, but Allen's six games to finish the season may be the greatest six game stretch any QB has ever had in terms of rushing yards, rushing TD's and efficiency rushing. Only Mike Vick has one six game stretch that is on par with the one Allen had to finish the season last year.

• Like (+1) 1