Bellichick uses "Padding Games" for developing young coaches...how prevalent do you think this is league wide?

Big Turk

18 hours ago, klos63 said:

They've got many rings as assistant coaches and that's pretty good for what Belichek is out to accomplish.  His job isn't to groom head coaches, it's to make his organization the best as possible. 

That's not the point, of course I doubt BB is the type of person who is trying to help others in his staff become him or better.

The point is that they say this is a teaching tool to make them better and understand the games better, but looking at the results, it doesnt seem to be helping cause once these guys step away from NE, they dont last so are they really learning anything about the game from this or is it just a better, cheaper, more efficient way for BB to get as much info and detail as he can?

14 hours ago, westside said:

How did chris long beat out jj watt for man of the year award?

Maybe Chris Long does alot of charity work all over, just doesnt get as much hype and publicity as Watt raising money on Social media to help out his teams home after disasters?

Who cares, I doubt either would be upset not getting the award, and either way, people, groups, areas, etc. Are getting helped

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:23 PM, DC Tom said:

However, it may also be the reason Pats coaches that move on to other teams tend to not be as successful.  Diagramming plays for critique is a great learning tool, but a very narrow learning process In particular, if it's bottle-necked through Belichick, as you describe it, he's creating a sense of dependency in coaches on himself, and denying other coaches the opportunity to learn how to teach the way he does.  

I don't think he cares. He's the boss and his thing is to win. Most of his ex-assistants are probably rich in any event.

On 2/3/2019 at 9:44 AM, westside said:

Enough BB ball washing. So tired of hearing how great they are. I could care less about how his coaches are. They all seemed to suck when they go to another team. 

Like a few posters already said. They can't take TB with them when they leave. How much success would BB have with the QBs we've had the last twenty years? How many superbowls would he have won? My guess would be zero. 

Maybe no superbowls, but I bet he would have made the playoffs more than once...

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't know about how common this is.  But there's this: Typically, the team plays on Sunday.  As I understand it, they watch film on Monday, take Tuesday off, then Weds start walking through the new game plan. 

So if the assistants have to "pad" every play of the game, and it takes a few days....either they are not part of the normal film break down and game planning, or, they are doing this in the off-season, or, they are not sleeping.   Did the article say?

If you are a championship team with your pick of assistants, you can probably enforce the expectation that the assistants will work day and night, especially if that's what your HC and coordinators are doing.  If you're a bottom team, maybe not.

In the off-season I would think it would be great.

I'd probably go the route of "not sleeping" as there are several comments about it "pushing you to the brink" in there.

49 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

That's not the point, of course I doubt BB is the type of person who is trying to help others in his staff become him or better.

The point is that they say this is a teaching tool to make them better and understand the games better, but looking at the results, it doesnt seem to be helping cause once these guys step away from NE, they dont last so are they really learning anything about the game from this or is it just a better, cheaper, more efficient way for BB to get as much info and detail as he can?

Maybe Chris Long does alot of charity work all over, just doesnt get as much hype and publicity as Watt raising money on Social media to help out his teams home after disasters?

Who cares, I doubt either would be upset not getting the award, and either way, people, groups, areas, etc. Are getting helped

As I pointed out it isn't that simple.  Bellichick's system is that it encompasses EVERYTHING.  From players fitting certain roles, to players working their asses off, to coaches working their asses off, to coaches noticing every little detail, to being able to morph their offense/defense from game to game and in some cases from series to series to ensure that they can take away what you do best but that you can't take away what they do best, etc...

A person might be able to do one or two of these things well, but there are exceeedingly few people who can do ALL of them well.  For Bellichick's system to really work, EVERYTHING matters...but when people try and implement what he does but can only do it at a 50% or lower threshold, it doesn't work...

They might be able to notice the details and get other coaches to notice the fdetails but don't understand how to get the right players for each role. Fail.

They might be able to get the right players for each role but not se the details. Fail.

They might be able to change the offense/defense every game but not get their coaches to teach it right. Fail.

It's not just a single thing they have to do well, they have to do ALL of it well and that's the hard part.  Bill doesn't give up all his secrets...he keeps some in his back pocket for himself..or maybe he even gives them mis-information at times so that down the line they believe what he has told them but then find out it doesn't work...who knows...all I know is that when you see something like this it is because other people are simply not able to do everything well that a head coach needs to do well running his style of system.

Edited by matter2003