Buffalo Bill's

6 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

The Fair Use Act that you linked to was never passed and it wouldn't have applied even if it had passed. I'm not looking to bash you about it but just noting that your link is irrelevant and there is no Fair Use Act. Fair Use is a defense to copyright infringement, not likely applicable for B-Man. 

The DMCA wouldn't shield B-Man, as I said. 

begrudgingly, i have to say you are technically correct.

however, the is a fair use doctrine of the copyright standard promotes the unlicensed use of copyrighted materials as long as they adhere to the guidelines. that being that a link is provided back to the sourced material and that no more than 50% of an article is copied. all of which assumes that it is being done for  to comment upon, criticize, or parody.

the DCMA speaks primarily to service providers but there is a trickle down effect which ultimately affects website owners who could then be liable and subjecdt to being served with a takedown notice.

4 minutes ago, Foxx said:

begrudgingly, i have to say you are technically correct.

however, the is a fair use doctrine of the copyright standard promotes the unlicensed use of copyrighted materials as long as they adhere to the guidelines. that being that a link is provided back to the sourced material and that no more than 50% of an article is copied. all of which assumes that it is being done for  to comment upon, criticize, or parody.

Some of what you said is right, but the 50% thing is not. And when B-Man posts an image of a cartoon, which is about half his posts, he posts no link and shares 100% of the copyrighted content regardless. 

4 minutes ago, Foxx said:

the DCMA speaks primarily to service providers but there is a trickle down effect which ultimately affects website owners who could then be liable and subjecdt to being served with a takedown notice.

SDS could probably use the DMCA. B-Man could not. That's why SDS has a ToS on point. Let's drop this so as not to create any further issues for anyone. 

12 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Some of what you said is right, but the 50% thing is not. And when B-Man posts an image of a cartoon, which is about half his posts, he posts no link and shares 100% of the copyrighted content regardless. 

SDS could probably use the DMCA. B-Man could not. That's why SDS has a ToS on point. Let's drop this so as not to create any further issues for anyone. 

the more you use the less fair your use is likely to be. 50%m is a general rule of thumb.

B-Mans images most certainly contain a link back to the source. said images are also in the 'public domain'.

SDS could be affected by DCMA and thusly trickle down to B'Man if a takedown were issued.

Just now, Foxx said:

the more you use the less fair your use is likely to be.

Yes.

Just now, Foxx said:

50%m is a general rule of thumb.

No.

Just now, Foxx said:

B-Mans images most certainly contain a link back to the source.

Nope.

Just now, Foxx said:

said images are also in the 'public domain'.

Not even close.

Just now, Foxx said:

SDS could be affected by DCMA and thusly trickle down to B'Man if a takedown were issued.

No. Let's drop it. 

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I believe it was handled with a perma-ban the last time someone doxxed a board member.

Yep. All 3 of them that started threads. I'm assuming me again?

I'm ***** famous. ????

50 minutes ago, Foxx said:

we are talking about TBD, correct? you can perma ban a user id but perma ban an individual that can easily change their IP and create a new user id, no.

sDS brought this up at a tailgate. Each new member that's approved has their IP address shown and when it's shown it automatically shows any former handles they have had iirc

Edited by Boyst62

4 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Yep. All 3 of them that started threads. I'm assuming me again?

I'm ***** famous. ????

sDS brought this up at a tailgate. Each new member that's approved has their IP address shown and when it's shown it automatically shows any former handles they have had iirc

most forum software has that ability. what it can not account for is someone resetting their IP. you can force it if you know how.

53 minutes ago, Foxx said:

most forum software has that ability. what it can not account for is someone resetting their IP. you can force it if you know how.

What kind of lonely desperate attention or would go to such lengths?