what's stronger?

Vicodin (aka Oxycondon) is stronger, but doesn't last as long. Percocet lasts longer and isn't as addictive as Vicodin and is usually prescribed more. Percocet does destroy the stomach lining, and thus you should take with food. To make it feel better, drink plenty of alcohol for a great experience.

just had arthroscopic knee surgery (second time in 14 years)

they gave me percocet and it ain't doing anything for me, but killing my gut. i'm no strangerto vicodin, but isn't percocet supposed to be stronger?

285429[/snapback]

Wimp!!

JK, Perc's are stronger I had two ACL's within 6 months a few years back, trust me. Talk to your Doctor. :huh:

they gave me percocet and it ain't doing anything for me, but killing my gut. i'm no strangerto vicodin, but isn't percocet supposed to be stronger?

285429[/snapback]

Get prescriptions for both and when you're completely healed you'll have plenty of each left. PM me for the address where to send the leftovers for proper disposal. :huh:

285429[/snapback]

Assuming both surgeries were on the same knee, it sounds like you may have a total knee replacement in your future. I had 4 scopes over 20 years and you'll get to a point where there's nothing left in the joint but bone on bone! It's not the most fun I've ever had, but the pain is totally gone! Good luck with it! :huh:

285429[/snapback]

I had foot-surgery senior year of high school. Chopped up my toe and took out a bone, long-story. Anyway, they gave me Vicodin and it just made me sleepy and only took away the pain, not the swelling. Motrin handled both better, I found out.

Vicodin (aka Oxycondon) is stronger, but doesn't last as long.  Percocet lasts longer and isn't as addictive as Vicodin and is usually prescribed more.  Percocet does destroy the stomach lining, and thus you should take with food.  To make it feel better, drink plenty of alcohol for a great experience.

285451[/snapback]

Actually that's not correct. Vicodin is Hydrocodone (as is Lortab) and Percocet is Oxycodone. Oxycodone/Percocet is stronger.

ByTor, if your pain is not adequately controlled there are other options. Verbalize it to your doc and s/he can help you out. There is a Fentanyl patch that may be an option, but it just depends on your doc's preference. Either way, you are entitled to have your pain managed to an acceptable level (as determined by you).

thanks to everyone for the opinions. as for the alcohol suggestion, i'm wayyyy ahead of you, but the gut is still bugging me.

a little history about this left knee of mine, i 1st ruptured my ACL playing football near a lot at Rich Stadium 14 years ago. it was after a game, we were waiting for traffic to die down before we headed back to Rochester. we played a spirited game of tackle, me and 6 brothers and a few very game strangers. Well, after a 7 yard burst by yours truly, I took the shot by my brother right at the left side of my left knee. Snap, thud, OW!

since that time, it's given me problems and I have sustained a severe case of arthritis, medial miniscus tear, my knee cap cracked, and my MCL is partially torn....oh and the ACL appears to have disintigrated.

a complete reconstruction is imminent,but they wont do thatto a 38 year old.

thanks again, and protect your knees!!!!

I'm three months after a total shoulder replacement.

Had a similar situation with Oxycodon and Vicodin.

Double up on your med and you get a buz, but the pain's still there and you're nauseous.

I stopped taking that crap after about a week.

What works for me is ice and lots of it. (I know that sounds a little wierd in the context of TSW)

My advice is find a good physical therapist and get there often.

Good luck with the rehab.

ahh finally a question right up my ally since i am a opharmacy student. Percocet is much stronger than vicodin. Vicodin is a combination of tylenol and hyrocodone and is classified as CIII. Percocet is oxycodone with tylenol and is classified as a CII meaning the MD has to prescribe it on that opretty purple piece of paper called an ONYSRX. just make sure your dont take any other tylenol products or anything that contains acetaminophen while useing perc or vic because of the risk of acetaminophen toxicity. and dont use alcohol because it will potentiate the adverse effects.

285429[/snapback]

Read the little directions on the bottle: TAKE WITH FOOD, and you'll be fine.

285429[/snapback]

Check your dosage per pill. You may need to double up.

285499[/snapback]

I blew out my left ACL in a pick-up basketball game in college. Reconstruction was recommended, but if I did that I would have lost my ROTC scholarship. So I gutted it out for 3 years with a brace for sports. I didn't have the $ or time to get it done and the brace was working fine. 4 years ago the right ACL went in a softball game, so that was it for sports for me until. That is, until I met a guy in my alumni group that works for a company that makes knee braces. He hooked me up with two spanking new braces and I signed up for softball again. 20 minutes into my first practice, I broke my pinkie finger on my glove hand (no idea what happened).

That's it. The gods don't want me between the lines.

It all depends.

Did they give you the 5 mg blue ones or the (twice as powerful) 10 mg white ones? Also, a lot of people will disagree with me but I swear the generic ones are not as good as the non-generic. I ALWAYS get the non-generic because they are easier on my stomach and they work better.

If you just got your knee done NOW is the time to call the doctor's office back and get them to write you another Rx for somethign stronger/better than what you have now. If they will do it at all they will do it now. After a few days they'll start to turn deaf to your requests and point you to the over-the-counter crap regardless of your continued pain.

And when they ask you to raet your pain on the 1-10 scale DON'T say anthing less than an 8. Remember you are an 8!

thanks to everyone for the opinions. as for the alcohol suggestion, i'm wayyyy ahead of you, but the gut is still bugging me.

a little history about this left knee of mine, i 1st ruptured my ACL playing football near a lot at Rich Stadium 14 years ago. it was after a game, we were waiting for traffic to die down before we headed back to Rochester. we played a spirited game of tackle, me and 6 brothers and a few very game strangers. Well, after a 7 yard burst by yours truly, I took the shot by my brother right at the left side of my left knee. Snap, thud, OW!

since that time, it's given me problems and I have sustained a severe case of arthritis, medial miniscus tear, my knee cap cracked, and my MCL is partially torn....oh and the ACL appears to have disintigrated.

a complete reconstruction is imminent,but they wont do thatto a 38 year old.

285499[/snapback]

I have gout (fancy name - goutty arthritis), and take allopurinol which reduces uric acid levels, the excess of being the prime cause of gout. When I have an acute attack (caused by beer/ciggies/bad diet, I might add - anything that stresses the kidneys), I've taken indomethacin (a script NSAID), percocet, etc. for pain, but have found that naproxin sodium (brand name: Aleve) works best and reduces the inflammation over time. Normal dose is 1 to 2 tabs per day, but I've taken up to 4 per day. YMMV.

Actually that's not correct. Vicodin is Hydrocodone (as is Lortab) and Percocet is Oxycodone. Oxycodone/Percocet is stronger.

ByTor, if your pain is not adequately controlled there are other options. Verbalize it to your doc and s/he can help you out. There is a Fentanyl patch that may be an option, but it just depends on your doc's preference. Either way, you are entitled to have your pain managed to an acceptable level (as determined by you).

285498[/snapback]

Correct, except hydrocodone and oxycodone are equianalgesics. Both have equivalencies of 30mg equivalent to 10 mg IV morphine sulphate. Both are highly addictive. I would suggest the patch also, but you would have to start at the lowest dose (25mcg/hr) or you will likely experience nausea and sedation. Good luck. :angry:

I have gout (fancy name - goutty arthritis), and take allopurinol which reduces uric acid levels, the excess of being the prime cause of gout. When I have an acute attack (caused by beer/ciggies/bad diet, I might add - anything that stresses the kidneys), I've taken indomethacin (a script NSAID), percocet, etc. for pain, but have found that naproxin sodium (brand name: Aleve) works best and reduces the inflammation over time.  Normal dose is 1 to 2 tabs per day, but I've taken up to 4 per day. YMMV.

287630[/snapback]

I've got gout also, I once had a doctor in in different city where I am now, who said gout is not caused by alcohol (the doctor had gout too, so I took that with a grain of salt). My father, his brothers and my grandfather all have/had gout. But I do like my beer, so i think that definetly has something to do with it. :angry:

I had menningitis once, about 10-15 years ago. the doctor gave me percocet. A six pack and a percocet - hoo boy - that was the ticket. 0:)