Bills vs. Packers All-22 Coaches Film Reviews

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Did the OL look truly truly bad at times?  Oh yeah.  Also yes.  There really can’t be any reasonable argument on this point.

I think this is harsh.

I think a big problem is Allen not getting his linemen into the right protections. He's not properly evaluating what the defense is doing pre snap, and it's on the QB to evaluate where he thinks a blitz might be coming from so that the line can adjust the protection.

Free rushers are usually a result of one of two things; either the QB didn't set the protection to pick it up, or a RB misses a blitz pick up.

If the correct protection is called, NFL linemen aren't going to ignore their job and let guys rush free at the QB. They might get beat, and they might miss blocks, but free rushers who no one picks up in the pass protection are a result of the protection call, and that's on the QB. 

The QB needs to read the defense pre snap and decode what he's seeing on the field vs what he's seen on film. He needs to ID where pressure will come from, how many guys he thinks will be rushing, how many blockers he has into pick it up, and ultimately how long he'll have to throw the football before he's going to get blasted. Those answers determine where he needs to go with the football, and as things are going right now Allen just isn't seeing the field well enough or fast enough to make the correct protection calls.

On 10/2/2018 at 9:54 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

TBH in the all-22 gif above, it's hard for me to sort who had what responsibility.  It's part of what I mean by saying I see a massive whirling ball of confusion on who has what responsibility.   At the start of the play, Mills and Miller are double-teaming 1 guy leaving Lee alone on the LB.   Fackrell beats Lee to the inside, but does Lee expect to have RT help on that side?  Mills appears to be late, slow, and out of position to pick up a block Lee may (?) expect him to help with, leaving Lee with the choice between watching his QB get nailed, or committing the hold.

On his part, it appears to me that Allen was late to move up in the pocket and if he stepped up earlier, he would have evaded the smash long enough to hit the throw.

I'm not saying it's all-world blocking by Lee, but asking any TE to hold an extended block 1:1 on a charging LB is asking a lot.  The best can do it perhaps?

I hope the Bills D is taking that personally.  Because the other side of it is we should have had what, 3 picks and two fumbles on him? 

These sound like OC/OL Coach issues to me - every blocker needs to know their assignments. While Allen should be recognizing pressures and calling out protections, the OL still looks lost on their assignments. While this could also likely be due to Allen's calls or lack thereof, it seems more systemic than simply having a rookie QB on the field a full season before he's ready.

On 10/2/2018 at 9:04 PM, Nihilarian said:

Yes, it's clear that Allen missed that read with the free Blitzer on the LoS.  He also missed his outlet receiver that didn't block that Blitzer but had turned around as an outlet and alas he never did look left for some reason. Also, if the receiver decides to pick up that free Blitzer and it's not a fast sack. 

Although, isn't the center supposed to help with those calls too. If not just the center when a linemen sees a potential threat coming unblocked they used to yell "fire" "fire" or something to get the QBs attention to that free Blitzer on the line.

To me this is just bad coaching all around QB, Line, WRs. It's just a hot mess of an offense. 

Indeed. When all units from the QB to the Line to WRs have issues, it becomes COACHING as the main culprit.

On 10/3/2018 at 9:10 AM, uticaclub said:

What do people expect? This is how Allen look in college against teams that werent San Jose State. He was drafted for his physical tools, not performance. There's a reason he go no offers out of HS, was a backup in JUCO and then only had one offer to play in Wyoming. He's the ultimate project and he surrounded him with questionable coaching and worse player personnel

Ha will you stop? Haven't you see Allen play like a superstar against the VIKINGS while his receivers still dropped passes?

On 10/3/2018 at 2:16 AM, John from Riverside said:

At no time did Josh Allen EVER at Wyoming beat a team as good as the Minnesota Vikings

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/4/2018 at 8:39 AM, jrober38 said:

I think this is harsh.

I think a big problem is Allen not getting his linemen into the right protections. He's not properly evaluating what the defense is doing pre snap, and it's on the QB to evaluate where he thinks a blitz might be coming from so that the line can adjust the protection.

Free rushers are usually a result of one of two things; either the QB didn't set the protection to pick it up, or a RB misses a blitz pick up.

If the correct protection is called, NFL linemen aren't going to ignore their job and let guys rush free at the QB. They might get beat, and they might miss blocks, but free rushers who no one picks up in the pass protection are a result of the protection call, and that's on the QB. 

The QB needs to read the defense pre snap and decode what he's seeing on the field vs what he's seen on film. He needs to ID where pressure will come from, how many guys he thinks will be rushing, how many blockers he has into pick it up, and ultimately how long he'll have to throw the football before he's going to get blasted. Those answers determine where he needs to go with the football, and as things are going right now Allen just isn't seeing the field well enough or fast enough to make the correct protection calls.

Rookies make the mistakes you are talking about here.....should we ignore the fact that Allen is a rookie?

On 10/4/2018 at 8:39 AM, jrober38 said:

I think this is harsh.

I get Allen's issues with pre-snap reads, adjustments, and protections, and certainly don't disagree. But the OL aren't mindless pions who will only do what the QB dictates. The Center can call out protections and shifts that he might see as well, and NFL lineman aren't just awaiting the QB to tell them what to do. They also play positions that demand immediate recognition and adjustments to cover free rushers, fill gaps, and be self-aware of the pocket protection being created. I also don't get how anyone can think that Allen can come in as a rookie, regardless of what conference he played in, and be solely responsible for calling protections. Since when have we had a QB that can do that since Jim? Guaranteed Wood and previous Centers were anchoring those lines of the past. For Allen's sake of development, we need the line to be able to call out and cover protections more than the QB.

To be honest, I can't remember too many times where Taylor didn't just walk out of the huddle and immediately start the cadence while wood and richie pointed out pressures.

You're seeing a combination of a rookie QB, and an otherwise hapless Offensive Line which shows more disconnect with Castillo and Daboll than true fault on Allen's part. 

Edited by ctk232