An all too early look at the 2019 off-season

Truthfully next year will be a make or break offseason for Beane and co.  And offseason preparations are already underway with the likes of the McCarron trade.

So next year we are looking at:

81 million in cap space
19 open roster spots 
10 2019 draft picks 

let’s say 7 of our draft picks make the 53 man roster so we probably have ~ 70 mil to spend on 12 roster spots

Who would I like the Bills to target:

DL

Demarcus Lawrence DE DAL - 26 years old, has been inconsistent as a pass rusher but last year made a major leap forward and was a dominant DE.  If he performs at a high level again this year he will be looking at a contract of at least 16 mil a year, minimum.  Will be difficult to sign and especially with a team like Buffalo, it would be an overpay for a position that has been shown the money as of late

Eziekel Ansah DE DET - 29 years old, 44 sacks through 5 seasons, would be who I'd target over Lawrence just because he'd be slightly cheaper and I think he's more attainable for us.  He'd be a bridesmaid in the DL sweepstakes of 2019, but he might end up being a better signing than the bride.

OL

Mike Iupati G AZ - 31 years old, get this !@#$ing guy. So far has been an early standout this year, could be poised for a big year if he stays healthy, has been mauling guys. Sportrac showing that he miiiight have a team option 2019 season with AZ, so there's a potential scenario here where at the trade deadline I'd like to see Beane trade KB13 for Iupati + pick. In the past AZ has loved the idea of big WRs, so give them the big guy. I'm done with KB he's not a #1 option and we don't have the luxury of paying him what he thinks he's worth. We are stuck with Ducasse until 2020, im happy to have him as a backup, but if the only way to have Ducasse removed from this starting lineup was me having to put him through a pasta maker machine and eat all of him he’d be gone last week.

Rodger Saffold G LAR - 30 years old...like did the !@#$ing Rams turn the salary cap slider off?  Eventually they're gonna have to start letting people walk, and this would be a good guard option to look into

Ramon Foster G PIT - 33 years old, didn't have the greatest year last year but is known to be a solid pass protecting guard, and now that we have our golden god Allen for the foreseeable future, let's try protecting him

LB

Anthony Barr OLB MIN - 27 years old, likely to be resigned but if available would love for the Bills to throw 8 figures at this guy.

K.J Wright OLB SEA - 29 years old, Seattle is a very odd team with how they handle their personnel he could end up available.

Shaquil Barrett OLB DEN - 26 years old, an undrafted find for the Broncos in 2015, he might be the odd man out with Bradley Chubb inserting himself into the depth chart over there.  Wouldn't be expensive for us

DB

Jason Verrett CB LAC - 27 years old, tore ACL week 1 in 2017, tore achilles in training camp this year.  I doubt the chargers are going to resign him after all that.  Might just let him walk, he's got bad juju but what better place to lift a curse than Buffalo NY lmao. I'd love to see the Bills offer him a 1 year team option 2 year prove-it deal to him.  Bills love cheap options, this would be the best gamble at the CB position

Darqueze Dennard CB CIN - 27 years old, starting to look like the player Cinci hoped they drafted in the 2014 first round, however because of that, it's possible they attempt to re-sign him

Bradley Roby CB DEN - 26 years old, finally getting his shot starting with Denver this year, we'll see what happens with this kid

Just a few I'd like to re-sign:

Eddie Yarborough - good pass rush depth, has shown flashes

Jordan Mills - hopefully depth at the T position for us

Groy - a 3 position depth/fringe starter.  We haven't seen the depth chart but he's probably our starting C this year, regardless we'll see what he's made of this year he's likely to have a good sample size finally.

DRAFT:

We have 10 picks as of now, before we inevitably blow our team up just a little more by the trade deadline (I'm assuming we're gonna be 2-6 3-5 at the deadline) 

Not gonna get into a 7 round mock, just some ideas for day 1 and 2 positional picks

Positions and players to target:

DL: Would like to address our DE situation in FA with proven talent but if we are somehow in the top 3 of this draft, and Ed Oliver or Nick Bosa are available, say !@#$ it and grab one of them

LB: Another position of certain upgrading, one that I hope we do in FA rather than high in the draft this year.  Get some 4-6 round depth, maybe Khalil Hodge from UB in the 6th

OL: If we are a little lower in the draft, perhaps top 10 still.  Look towards Greg Little Ole Miss, Trey Adams Wash, Jonah Williams Alabama, and David Edwards Wisc as potential OT fits.  Jonah Williams has played multiple positions, and is switching from RT to LT this season.  Really like Jonah as a potential fit here with Buffalo, and probably would be available in the 8-10 range where I see us picking realistically.  If we go OL round 1, still go OL/OG (depending on what we did in FA) day 2.  Michael Jordan G OSU, Michael Deiter G Wisc are a few that come to mind that I'd like.  I'd probably draft a G also in the 4th too. This franchise needs to show commitment to getting better in the trenches, and letting Allen know that we got his back.

WR: There are a few that could go in the 1st, AJ Brown is polished to all hell, Deebo Samuel might slip in the bottom part of the 1st.  Marquise Brown too because he'll probably run a 4.33 at the combine/proday.  I'd like to get someone in day 2 if possible, maybe Riley Ridley from Georgia, Parris Campbell WR OSU or Ahmmon Richards WR Miami

RB: This might be the year we draft a RB, hopefully not until day 3 though.  If we went early, Rodney Anderson RB OK is a favorite of mine, as is Bryce Love.  But i'd lose my **** if we drafted a RB in the 1st or 2nd round.  4th round give me Myles Gaskin WASH or Wes Hills Slippery Rock, looks real polished despite being in division II

CB: Seriously, will we ever be done with drafting this !@#$ing position?  Every year I feel like we draft 5 of them.  I wish this team was in good standing in most positions so we could just say !@#$ it and draft Greedy Williams mid 1st round because with that name alone he's a certified HOF candidate.

Edited by Laughing Coffin
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Mike Iupati? As the guy who has stunk in Arizona? No thanks. He used to be a very good player, he has been terrible for years

You draft DBs every year because it's basic common sense. You need a lot of them, and they cost a fortune if you have to pay FAs. They tend to be coachable so you get starters late in the draft.

Edited by Mountain Man
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

Mike Iupati? As the guy who has stunk in Arizona? No thanks. He used to be a very good player, he has been terrible for years

Watch him this year, he's been the best player in AZ this preseason and if he stays healthy he's going to maul people all season.

2 minutes ago, Laughing Coffin said:

Watch him this year, he's been the best player in AZ this preseason and if he stays healthy he's going to maul people all season.

And? The Browns went 4-0 in the pre season, and then went 0-16. Pre season means nothing.

Iupati is precisely the sort of player YOU DON'T SIGN.

Old, expensive because of his reputation 3 years ago. Bad teams and GMs sign players like Iupati

1 minute ago, Mountain Man said:

And? The Browns went 4-0 in the pre season, and then went 0-16. Pre season means nothing.

Iupati is precisely the sort of player YOU DON'T SIGN.

Old, expensive because of his reputation 3 years ago. Bad teams and GMs sign players like Iupati

So you're not worried about individual players playing ability in the preseason, simply because it's preseason?  Did I say anything about W-L record?  I'm talking about player performance, which you know, 1184 people were just evaluated on based on their practicing and preseason performances.

OL play well into their 30s, at a high level.  There's not many 26-27 year old All-pro OL that hit the market.  It's crazy that Jason Peters is still in the damn league I felt like we had him 20 years ago 

2 minutes ago, Laughing Coffin said:

So you're not worried about individual players playing ability in the preseason, simply because it's preseason?  Did I say anything about W-L record?  I'm talking about player performance, which you know, 1184 people were just evaluated on based on their practicing and preseason performances.

OL play well into their 30s, at a high level.  There's not many 26-27 year old All-pro OL that hit the market.  It's crazy that Jason Peters is still in the damn league I felt like we had him 20 years ago 

I've seen what Iupati is, he is shown exactly what he is in Arizona. Past it. He is about as close to being an All Pro right now as John Miller is

I'll judge multiple regular seasons, and not a part role in 4 pre season games.

3 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

I've seen what Iupati is, he is shown exactly what he is in Arizona. Past it. He is about as close to being an All Pro right now as John Miller is

I'll judge multiple regular seasons, and not a part role in 4 pre season games.

Fair enough, it's slim pickins this offseason for premiere OL, we might just need to have the most boring draft ever and take OL round 1 and OL round 2

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Laughing Coffin said:

Fair enough, it's slim pickins this offseason for premiere OL, we might just need to have the most boring draft ever and take OL round 1 and OL round 2

Possibly. I think you are right to target O line in FA, but go throw money at someone on the up, not living on past glories.

1 hour ago, Laughing Coffin said:

Don't trust in players that only play  great in their contract year. It's no a good business

41 minutes ago, Laughing Coffin said:

Quality WR's and CB's are a whole lot easier to come by in FA (if you have the cap space) than even G's and C's these days. You are 100% correct. 

4 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

You draft DBs every year because it's basic common sense. You need a lot of them, and they cost a fortune if you have to pay FAs. They tend to be coachable so you get starters late in the draft.

...Mike having tough time bouncing back from injuries/surgeries the problem?....

....thought Stanford RB Love would show up as early Heisman favorite....instead this WR kid shows up..............

Brad Shepard -BR:

Love struggled, taking a major knock to his Heisman hopes with just 29 rushing yards.

Most of those went to 6'3", 225-pound senior receiver JJ Arcega-Whiteside, who finished with six catches for 226 yards, three touchdowns and a two-point conversion in the 31-10 win. It was the most yards for a Stanford receiver since Troy Walters in 1997.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy