Peterman will never live down the 5-pick half . . .

Dr. K

50 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

not sure where you get this from. Bills were top 1/3 in the league in scoring in 2015 and 2016.  Then something changed and scoring went way down. It wasn't Hotrod.

Shady also dropped 1.4 yards from his ypc last year btw.

You see the pattern right?   The scoring and yards per season kept dwindling.   Teams learned how to defense against him.    Make him a QB was the phrase often spoken by the opponents defenses. 

yeah, blame Shady.  

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Last preseason, Peterman was 43 of 79, 54% completion for 113 YPG.

This year for 3 games, Peterman is 33 for 41, 80.5% completion for 143 YPG.

(per NFL.com  stats)

There are two kinds of statisticians - Baysian statisticians and the other kind :).  The former include all available information into their calculation of odds - which would include preseason stats.  Yes, overall, the odds of a late round QB succeeding in the NFL are poor, but that's quite a preseason improvement between last year and this.  I'd like to see the odds on 5th round picks that are given a chance and show that kind of improvement between their 1st and 2nd season.

While I'm no way a Peterman fan, I can't understand the reluctance to give the man props for the way he's played through TC and preseason.  My main concern about Peterman is whether he's yet learned to recognize his limitations, throw the ball away, and live to play another down.  Because he's spent parts of preseason throwing against next month's burger flippers, that remains TBD in my opinion.

This is a fair position on Peterman.

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Last preseason, Peterman was 43 of 79, 54% completion for 113 YPG.

This year for 3 games, Peterman is 33 for 41, 80.5% completion for 143 YPG.

(per NFL.com  stats)

There are two kinds of statisticians - Baysian statisticians and the other kind :).  The former include all available information into their calculation of odds - which would include preseason stats.  Yes, overall, the odds of a late round QB succeeding in the NFL are poor, but that's quite a preseason improvement between last year and this.  I'd like to see the odds on 5th round picks that are given a chance and show that kind of improvement between their 1st and 2nd season.

While I'm no way a Peterman fan, I can't understand the reluctance to give the man props for the way he's played through TC and preseason.  My main concern about Peterman is whether he's yet learned to recognize his limitations, throw the ball away, and live to play another down.  Because he's spent parts of preseason throwing against next month's burger flippers, that remains TBD in my opinion.

Bravo, well stated!!    (and yeah I know you weren't a big fan ;))   I've been trying to inflect that on the TBD doubtful  this past month. 

It is a 50/50 deal.  He'll either suck (more if that's even possible by some), or he'll prove to be adequate, maybe adequate enough for another team to garner interest. 

38 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

preseason is a key word here.

Below is a list of top performers from 2017 preseason based on QB rating.  

Where are the preseason stats for you know who?  

They were as horrific as they were in 4 games last season.  under 50 rating. (the higher one) 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

7 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

You see the pattern right?   The scoring and yards per season kept dwindling.   Teams learned how to defense against him.    Make him a QB was the phrase often spoken by the opponents defenses. 

yeah, blame Shady.  

We scored more points in 2016 than 2015 though. 20 more points, 109 fewer yards. Then we got Dennison and scoring dropped by 97 points and yards dropped by 824...

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

yeah, blame Shady.  

How much did the new OC contribute to the problem?  He WAS fired less than 24 hours after the season was over.  I was just noting a drop off in the entire offense from 2016 to 2017, not just one guy.

Let's review the pattern:

In 2015 we scored 379 points

In 2016 we scored 399 points (kind of a backwards dwindle)

In 2017 we scored 302 points.

What changed in 2017?  It was also coupled with Shady's 1.4 ypc drop.  What changed on the offense between 2017 and 2018?  It wasn't because of one player falling off a cliff IMHO. 

FYI - You can look it up here: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2015/index.htm

If I had to blame it on one guy, it would be Denison. 

Edited by reddogblitz

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

We scored more points in 2016 than 2015 though. 20 more points, 109 fewer yards. Then we got Dennison and scoring dropped by 97 points and yards dropped by 824...

one right one wrong my memory didn't serve well enough 2 years back. 

First I saw blame Shady and now its the OC.    That doesn't change the fact that defenses knew how to stop Taylor in 2017. 

3 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

What changed in 2017?  It was also coupled with Shady's 1.4 ypc drop.  What changed on the offense between 2017 and 2018?  It wasn't because of one player falling off a cliff IMHO. 

If I had to blame it on one guy, it would be Denison. 

Did I say Taylor fell off the cliff?   (nice try)   I said what I said again above. 

Christ if it wasn't for Hauschka it would have been even worse in PPG.  

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

one right one wrong my memory didn't serve well enough 2 years back. 

First I saw blame Shady and now its the OC.    That doesn't change the fact that defenses knew how to stop Taylor in 2017. 

Serious question: Do you think the changes the OC made between 2016 and 2017 had any effect on defenses knowing how to stop Hotrod in 2017?

4 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Serious question: Do you think the changes the OC made between 2016 and 2017 had any effect on defenses knowing how to stop Hotrod in 2017?

2017 - Rate 89.2 QBR 60.0
2016 - Rate 89.7 QBR 61.4
2015 - Rate 99.4 QBR 65.3

The OC the OC .... Why was Roman fired when he was the best OC?  

Who pushed for it in week 2?   Rex, or maybe the offense? 

Do we know for sure the more points weren't because of facing weaker defenses?  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

First I saw blame Shady and now its the OC.

Did I say blame Shady (nice try).

I was making an observation that other parts of the offense regressed substantially along with Taylor and scoring.

If it weren't for kickers, the Patriots would have only won maybe 3 super bowls.  Fail to see the point on this one. 

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

It's not tyrods fault.

It never was and it never will be.

You know that right?

You have to know that by now.

It's obviously not Tyrod's limitations as a QB that contributed to the decline.

Nope.

Not him.

Never him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

You have to ask Rex about that.    I have not idea.

The only stat I care about are wins.

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

Did I say blame Shady (nice try).

I was making an observation that other parts of the offense regressed substantially along with Taylor and scoring.

If it weren't for kickers, the Patriots would have only won maybe 3 super bowls.  Fail to see the point on this one. 

Hokie another VT fan did

Just now, SouthNYfan said:

It's not tyrods fault.

It never was and it never will be.

You know that right?

You have to know that by now.

It's obviously not Tyrod's limitations as a QB that contributed to the decline.

Nope.

Not him.

Never him.

Do you think anything besides Hotrod's performance affected last years drop of 97 points from 2016?

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Because his approach to game prep was awful. Too many plays.

too many plays YET the best offense with Taylor!!!   

a poor excuse Hokie.

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

not sure where you get this from. Bills were top 1/3 in the league in scoring in 2015 and 2016.  Then something changed and scoring went way down. It wasn't Hotrod.

Shady also dropped 1.4 yards from his ypc last year btw.

See what you did.   You made me blame Hokie when it was you that put part of the blame on Shady 

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

No, I did nothing of the sort.

my apologies ...  see above 

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

Do you think anything besides Hotrod's performance affected last years drop of 97 points from 2016?

Absolutely.

-OC

-Wr talent purge

Definitely affected it.

The league realizing that forcing Tyrod to play from the pocket and "be a QB" was the biggest factor.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

too many plays YET the best offense with Taylor!!!   

a poor excuse Hokie.

Roman legitimately had the offense preparing 80+ plays per week in 2016. In weeks 1 & 2 we ran ~50 plays in the entire games. Lack of repetitions was leading to poor execution.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Roman legitimately had the offense preparing 80+ plays per week in 2016. In weeks 1 & 2 we ran ~50 plays in the entire games.

and they had seemingly the best offense 

Why would Tyrod  seemingly stop passing late in games with 3 separate OC's?    

I can name 2 key games where he was killing it in the passing game then stopped in the second which inevitably knocked the Bills from the WC spot. 

'15 was the lead then loss @ Chiefs  and in '16 it was the lead and loss @ Raiders

Are all OC's that stupid? 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1