McCarron and Peterman injured?

Pasaluki

11 hours ago, Gugny said:

I haven't sprained my ankle since I was 12.  How do you sprain yours all the time? 

I was getting out of my backhoe one winter, my work boot hit the ground the wrong way and all 220 lbs of me proceeded to tear my ankle to shreds.  This was when I was in my early 30's. 

It was the same ankle I shredded playing football in cleats in the winter when my foot got stuck in the snow.  Once you destroy the ligaments in your ankle, it becomes ever increasingly easy to sprain it in the future.  There are exercises to strengthen the surrounding muscles, but you don't get the virgin ligaments back...

Edited by Magnetar
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Gugny said:

I haven't sprained my ankle since I was 12.  How do you sprain yours all the time?

I really messed mine up in high school in a soccer game. I think I did ligament damage and heard some popping. I think the trainer misdiagnosed it. My younger brother had the same trainer tell him his knee was fine for 2 years. He'd always be hurting when he ran. Finally got a second opinion, turns out the cartilage wore out and he was scraping bone on bone.

Anyways, I played through college on it, getting it taped once it went all the time. I play pick up basketball, and it seems I tweak it cutting all the time. It'll go so it's perpendicular to the floor. I've been told once it goes it goes. Just something I deal with. Not complaining just explaining my point of view on it.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Magnetar said:

I was getting out of my backhoe one winter, my work boot hit the ground the wrong way and all 220 lbs of me proceeded to tear my ankle to shreds.  This was when I was in my early 30's. 

It was the same ankle I shredded playing football in cleats in the winter when my foot got stuck in the snow.  Once you destroy the ligaments in your ankle, it becomes ever increasingly easy to sprain it in the future.  There are exercises to strengthen the surrounding muscles, but you don't get the virgin ligaments back...

Same problem here.  Really messed up my right ankle in a motocross crash at 15 and many years later to this day my ankle turns easily sometimes just walking on uneven ground. 

18 hours ago, Magnetar said:

Mostly true.

If you've fully torn the ligaments though, you can't sprain that ligament anymore, but you can still damage others structures, or another ligament.

The most common with a rolled ankle (inversion) is the atfl (anterior talofibular ligament).

Another common one after your bork the atfl is the calcaneofibular ligament, or cfl.

Once these have been stretched out repeatedly (grade1 sprains), partially torn (grade 2), or fully popped (grade 3), it's just a ticking time bomb to roll due to instability from that point forward.

You can def strengthen the muscles, but as you correctly stated, nothing will fully stabilize it without surgery.