Position battles to watch in preseason game 1 vs Carolina

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Oh I agree.  I've been saying that since they signed him.  

AJ #1, Keep Nate the #2 through at least half the season to give Josh time to learn and acclimate to the NFL and watch the speed of the game.  

If McDermott sticks to his guns about not putting a rookie out there too soon then imo Josh won't see the field in the regular season unless things get really really bad.  (like the 4 game skid last season) 

I too think he can manage the game with a solid running game and a good defense to back the team up.   

i agree that a.j. gets the start. he's worked with bodine and he's also game prepped for baltimore several times and is familiar with the stadium.  those reasons i believe, are the most appealing to starting him week 1.

however, i'm not gonna rule out nate until they say so for sure. a.j. could always get hurt...or take a ton too many sacks and just not be able to move the chains through pre season.

i see a.j.   on an 80 yd. drive as a 6-10  5:30 t.o.p. type.   

i see nate on an 80 yd. drive as a 7 or 8 -10 2:30 t.o.p. type.

i think he has a quicker, sharper release and more likely to be able to complete those 20 yarders more often whereas i see a.j.'s bread and butter in the 7-10 yd. range.

there's also the possibility of injury around the league which would make moving a.j. and his contract an easy sell. can't wait to see these guys tonight!

On 8/9/2018 at 12:10 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think the Bills signed him fully guaranteed $1M, plus an additional $1.75M in signing and workout bonuses, to make him the 3rd string.

I agree they see a lot of potential in him, or at least needed to pay him that to sign him.  But I also don't think this coaching staff and FO care how much they are paying a player.  They will play the best one.  

On 8/8/2018 at 9:07 PM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Ivory is no slouch 

Never said he was.  Cadet looked good last year.  We could have a better backfield than most think.  

On 8/8/2018 at 10:14 PM, YoloinOhio said:

I might have an unpopular opinion here but I’m not sure it’s much of a race. I think AJ is going to start the season and they know that. Josh has looked ok (better than i thought i would, frankly) but I don’t think they believe he’s ready to get thrown in there game 1 and I agree with that approach. However, if AJ gets hurt or falls on his face and it’s 5-6 games in... I wouldn’t be surprised to see Josh leapfrog Nate and just get the party started. Might as well depending on his progress to that point. Jmo 

AJ is no world beater but if the other components - running game, D are playing well, he can manage a game. Josh is on a different level talent wise but just think he needs some time. 

Most importantly  they are building a young core with a QB, LT, CB and MLB in place... will draft their pass rusher in 2019...arguably the most critical positions in place... it’s pretty exciting 

On 8/9/2018 at 7:26 AM, ShadyBillsFan said:

Oh I agree.  I've been saying that since they signed him.  

AJ #1, Keep Nate the #2 through at least half the season to give Josh time to learn and acclimate to the NFL and watch the speed of the game.  

If McDermott sticks to his guns about not putting a rookie out there too soon then imo Josh won't see the field in the regular season unless things get really really bad.  (like the 4 game skid last season) 

I too think he can manage the game with a solid running game and a good defense to back the team up.   

Yeah, seriously, I agree with you both, if we are being really honest.

Just taking a shot I'm thinking it may go, in this order:

Game 2: AJ-1/3, Nate-1/3, Allen-1/3

Game 3: AJ-60%, Nate 20%, Allen 20%

Game 4: AJ- possibly 2 series, Nate a full quarter or slightly more and Allen the rest.

Although I would love it if Allen got at least two series with all second stringers or higher.

4 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I agree they see a lot of potential in him, or at least needed to pay him that to sign him.  But I also don't think this coaching staff and FO care how much they are paying a player.  They will play the best one.  

Never said he was.  Cadet looked good last year.  We could have a better backfield than most think.  

No problem with that!! 

• Like (+1) 1