going to DC for a family trip

my parents are meeting my wife and i in dc, where my sister lives. Anyways, i've been there a million times and done all the tourist crap. My wife hasn't though, so i should expect a butt load of monuments and government buildings. Has anyone been to the spy museum or the holocaust museum? I haven't been to either, and both intrigue me. Also, the thought of driving 15 minutes to get some molson canadian, labatt blue, perry's ice cream, and a wegmans turkey sub also gets me pretty fired up.

Also, the thought of driving 15 minutes to get some molson canadian, labatt blue, perry's ice cream, and a wegmans turkey sub also gets me pretty fired up.

277581[/snapback]

Nothing in D.C. or the surrounding area is within a 15-miute drive. Both Wegmans are really busy here, by the way.

I've been to the Spy Museum. It is a bit expensive, but it very interesting. The Cherry Blossom Festival runs from March 26-April 10. It is a great party. There is a new exhibit about American military actions at the American History Smithsonian that is certainly worth a visit. And come back sometime after November 10. The new Marine Corps National Museum at Quantico wil be open then. It is going to great. You'll be able to see it from 95 if you're coming up that way.

my parents are meeting my wife and i in dc, where my sister lives.  Anyways, i've been there a million times and done all the tourist crap.  My wife hasn't though, so i should expect a butt load of monuments and government buildings.  Has anyone been to the spy museum or the holocaust museum?  I haven't been to either, and both intrigue me.  Also, the thought of driving 15 minutes to get some molson canadian, labatt blue, perry's ice cream, and a wegmans turkey sub also gets me pretty fired up.

277581[/snapback]

I went to the holocaust museum about 7 years ago. It is very well done. I would highly reccomend spending a few hours there. I been to DC twice with my parents and we did all the museums and tours and such but the one that really stuck with me was the holocaust museum.

i think i meant miles, not minutes...  oh well.  Anyways, that's what my sister told me.  I really could care less though, anything within a 3 hour drive for one of those subs is worth it.

277758[/snapback]

I here 'ya. Why is it that I have such a tough time outside WNY finding a decent sub. I am reduced to telling myself Quiznos is good.

my parents are meeting my wife and i in dc, where my sister lives.  Anyways, i've been there a million times and done all the tourist crap.  My wife hasn't though, so i should expect a butt load of monuments and government buildings.  Has anyone been to the spy museum or the holocaust museum?  I haven't been to either, and both intrigue me.  Also, the thought of driving 15 minutes to get some molson canadian, labatt blue, perry's ice cream, and a wegmans turkey sub also gets me pretty fired up.

277581[/snapback]

Check out the WWII memorial. I haven't done so yet, but I hear it's very well done.

Are you sure the Wegmans there has all of those things?

Send me a PM about when you'll be around. Maybe we can meet up for dinner or drinks.

I here 'ya. Why is it that I have such a tough time outside WNY finding a decent sub. I am reduced to telling myself Quiznos is good.

277766[/snapback]

Quiznos is good and expensive, that's about it. Their subs are so overrated.

Check out the WWII memorial.  I haven't done so yet, but I hear it's very well done. 

Are you sure the Wegmans there has all of those things? 

Send me a PM about when you'll be around.  Maybe we can meet up for dinner or drinks.

277814[/snapback]

R. Rich - Wegmans in Fairfax has ALL of those things and more! It is easily the biggest Wegmans to date.....I even went home with 30 pack of Genny Cream Ale.

Bought Zwiegles, too!

The best route for a day on the Mall that we have found to take visiting family is starting at Union Station, walk to Supreme Court, Library of Congress, US Capitol. Then make youre way down the mall (center) and choose museums of your liking/s; Air and Space, History, Art, Natural History, you can't do them all, walk by the Washington Mt., you are now on top of the WWII Memorial, (DETOUR to the White House if you like) then make your way to Veitnam memorial and then Lincoln Memorial and then finish at Korean memorial. At this time you'll want a cab to take yourself off the mall.

277766[/snapback]

Scribo, try the Pub over on RTE 3 in the Food Lion shopping center. Best subs and burgers in town.

forget attractions, go the Brickskellar in NW near all the embassies. Great beer selections, might be up there sunday myself!

277581[/snapback]

One thing to be sure to do is go down to Georgetown and get some ice cream at Thomas Sweet on the corner of P and Wisconsin. Good stuff. Especially the butter brickle. If you're looking for a good hotel to stay look at the Sheraton National in Arlington. It's cheaper than staying in the city, has GREAT beds, and a free shuttle that will take you to the metro.

There is a museum devoted to building construction near the MCI center that looked interesting.

Also, right behind the MCI center, on the corner of 6th and H (I'm pretty sure) is CHINATOWN EXPRESS. It's a little dump of a restaurant with a guy making noodles by hand in the window. Have the dumplings! They were the best I ever ate, and they are 10 for $4.95! You can also get a 2lb lobster dinner there for $16.95.

Like I said, it's a hole in the wall, but the food is awesome.

PTR

Couple of thoughts.

There are bike tours of DC. You get to pack quite a bit in a very short time and see some things that you would not normally see. Plus, you get some exercise.

One other thought is the Marine Corps drill team "show". This is done at night (Fridays, I think) at the Naval barracks, near the river. Tickets are very hard to come by.

Quiznos is good and expensive, that's about it.  Their subs are so overrated.

277816[/snapback]

If you're looking for good subs. Orestes in Rossyln are warm subs, and great. Also, Atrium is a little sub shop across from the 1st police HQ. Also great. Best two in the are, IMHO. Neither is open weekends.

If you're looking for good subs.  Orestes in Rossyln are warm subs, and great.  Also, Atrium is a little sub shop across from the 1st police HQ.  Also great.  Best two in the are, IMHO.  Neither is open weekends.

278196[/snapback]

The are? They have a pirate section?