Josh Allen coins #SabresMafia

8 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Fans calling themselves the Bills Mafia doesn't make them organized crime?  I think everybody understands that.  The point is the term mafia is in poor taste.  I've known 100's of Italian-American people and I never heard one use the word mafia casually to describe blood relation or even community such as a neighborhood heavy with Italian-Americans.  I always figured if they don't use it casually then I probably should not either.

If you were an old fashioned poll taker standing in downtown Buffalo or downtown Rochester doing a survey and asked what the word mafia meant I doubt that a significant number of people would regurgitate the wiki origin you listed and that is the point.  

I get your argument about being in "poor taste", but that is certainly not why I dislike the term.

I just think the term bills mafia (or sabres mafia) is cheesy and, to use the technical terminology, dorky.

But you can't kick a nickname, so we will forever be called the Bills Mafia until it get swallowed by political correctness.

8 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

If you were an old fashioned poll taker standing in downtown Buffalo or downtown Rochester doing a survey and asked what the word mafia meant I doubt that a significant number of people would regurgitate the wiki origin you listed and that is the point.  

This is true, but I am pointing out it meant "swag" before it meant organized crime. The connotation of a word often times dictates a new denotation of the word. Obvious examples are many bigoted words used for gays. "Queer" being a word which is used still based on the older denotation meaning "odd." I guess, what I am saying is that words do have new meanings, but that shouldn't cheapen their origin. Also, it WILL not change the fact some words will continue to develop new denotations based on a contemperary connotation, in this case "mafia" meaning less organized crime and more a band of brothers. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Paulus said:

This is true, but I am pointing out it meant "swag" before it meant organized crime. The connotation of a word often times dictates a new denotation of the word. Obvious examples are many bigoted words used for gays. "Queer" being a word which is used still based on the older denotation meaning "odd." I guess, what I am saying is that words do have new meanings, but that shouldn't cheapen their origin. Also, it WILL not change the fact some words will continue to develop new denotations based on a contemperary connotation, in this case "mafia" meaning less organized crime and more a band of brothers. 

Hard to say.  Words remained and definitions changed in part because society collectively was isolated until the last few decades.  Now we have 24/7 worldwide media and commentary along with political correctness.  Swastika was a very benign word and symbol until the Nazi's came along but there is no rescuing that word away from being connoted with a hate group.  Just the world we live in and maybe we could use a few absolutes in terms words that mean negative things.  As long as we don't get carried away with things which is probably asking too much.  

20 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Wow, then it’s a good thing the Bills mafia is just a bunch of people who like rooting for a football team ?

...not to worry 'Crispy....just talked to my "Uncle Nunzio"....we're gonna adopt him into the "family" but as a consigliore ONLY......there currently are no openings in "Exterminating", "Knee Adjustments" or "Sakrete Footware"...he'll be fine.............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...not to worry 'Crispy....just talked to my "Uncle Nunzio"....we're gonna adopt him into the "family" but as a consigliore ONLY......there currently are no openings in "Exterminating", "Knee Adjustments" or "Sakrete Footware"...he'll be fine.............

Sshhhhh...make sure he’s aware that we only put the name “Bills” in front of the term “mafia” as a cover for the REAL operation...I’ll be at Hot Dog Charlie’s around midnight...tell your “uncle” to drop the loot behind dumpster in the back, capiche?

Edited by JaCrispy

6 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Sshhhhh...make sure he’s aware that we only put the name “Bills” in front of the term “mafia” as a cover for the REAL operation...I’ll be at Hot Dog Charlie’s around midnight...tell your “uncle” to drop the loot behind dumpster in the back, capiche?

...he'll be there early...he drives a black Yugo as undercover......nobody would expect "Uncle Nunzio" in a Yugo versus his Lincoln, right?.....