[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

https://theathletic.com/491172/2018/08/30/nhl-farm-system-rankings-no-1-buffalo-sabres/   (subscription require) 

Buffalo ranked as the #1 prospect pool by the Athletic. 

Buffalo has the top farm system and it isn’t really close. There are two reasons for that: 1. Rasmus Dahlin and 2. Casey Mittelstadt. Those are two pillar type talents you can build a franchise with, and along with Jack Eichel, Rasmus Ristolainen and Sam Reinhart you’re starting to see a future in Buffalo that looks the opposite of bleak.

Down the farm system, the Sabres have good depth, at the pro level particularly, but nobody that wows you, with those two top prospects carrying the bulk of value in this system. Rochester should be an interesting team to monitor next season though, as they have a few names Buffalo could be looking to as they try to turn a corner as an organization.

A No. 1 farm system is no guarantee of success. The Atlantic is very competitive, and Buffalo needs guys to develop well, while continuing to add talent. But in terms of adding value to their team from players who didn’t play in the NHL last season, nobody is in better shape to do that than the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://theathletic.com/491172/2018/08/30/nhl-farm-system-rankings-no-1-buffalo-sabres/   (subscription require) 

Buffalo ranked as the #1 prospect pool by the Athletic. 

Prospect Rankings
1. Rasmus Dahlin, D, Frolunda-SHL
2. Casey Mittelstadt, C, Minnesota-Big Ten
3. Alexander Nylander, LW, Rochester-AHL
4. Brendan Guhle, D, Rochester-AHL
5. Rasmus Asplund, C, Farjestad-SHL
6. Marcus Davidsson, C, Djurgardens-SHL
7. Oskari Laaksonen, D, Ilves-Liiga
8. Linus Ullmark, G, Rochester-AHL
9. Victor Olofsson, LW, Frolunda-SHL
10. Mattias Samuelsson, D, USNTDP-USHL

Organizational Top 10 (23 and Under)

Jack Eichel, C

Rasmus Dahlin, D

Casey Mittelstadt, C

Rasmus Ristolainen, D

Sam Reinhart, RW

Alexander Nylander, LW

Tage Thompson, RW

Brendan Guhle, D

Rasmus Asplund, C

Marcus Davidsson, C

• Thank you (+1) 1

Dahlin, Mittelstadt lead selections in prospects mock draft

ROUND 1

Morreale: Rasmus Dahlin, D, Buffalo Sabres
The easiest pick to make, not only because it's imperative to build your franchise from the defense out, but because Dahlin is the unquestioned best prospect on the board. He'll be a top-pair player in Buffalo as an 18-year-old rookie this season and a likely finalist for the Calder Trophy.

Kimelman: Casey Mittelstadt, C, Buffalo Sabres
Watching Mittelstadt seamlessly fit into the Sabres lineup at the end of last season, there's no question in my mind the 19-year-old is the best forward available, and an easy first-round pick for Team Kimelman.

ROUND 17
Kimelman: Mattias Samuelsson, D, Buffalo Sabres
Good teams need players to fill different roles, and Samuelsson (6-foot-4, 217) provides smart defensive-zone play, intimidating physicality and a developing offensive game. A left shot, the 18-year-old is smart and skilled enough to slide to the right side on Team Kimelman's top defense pair and allow Hughes to get the most out of his sublime talent.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Can Bogo stay in the lineup and finally contribute?   Would be nice, but that certainly can't be counted on.

Sabres' Bogosian is 100 percent to start the season

Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) - Zach Bogosian is back in Buffalo skating with the group at HarborCenter. He had his new No. 4 on his helmet, a number he wore as a kid and in Atlanta.

Bogosian couldn’t wear four or 44 when he was traded to Buffalo because they were being worn by Josh Gorges and Nick Deslauriers.

Bogosian had two separate injuries last season that cost him 64 games. He’s had a good summer of training and said he’s at 100 percent. He also said he pushed himself a lot, “It’s gone well, it was a long summer, longer than any of us would’ve liked, I had a good summer of training and it was nice to be back with the guys.”

Professional sports can be just as taxing mentally as they are physically. Bogosian has had a career full of injuries playing over 65 games just twice in his career. He said being healthy now is a huge load off his mind, “I think it’s huge, haven’t been 100 percent for quite some time, so it feels nice to be able to go out there and not be thinking about an injury, you go out there and just play your game.

“I know when I’m at the top of my game, I can be effective out there.”

I am a huge fan of the Sabres and I am really looking forward to this season. I can't wait to see Dahlin play. I think they will a lot better then last season and will surprise some people. 

One thing that does bother me is how little the media and people in Buffalo talk about the Sabres. They have a great rookie to look forward to and there is not much hype in Buffalo. Its BILLS BILLS BILLS all the time. Its a shame cause hockey is one of the best sports in the world and all anyone talks about is the BILLS. 

The Sabres represent Buffalo too. 

SABRES ANNOUNCE FULL ROSTER FOR 2018 PROSPECTS CHALLENGE

BUFFALO, N.Y. (September 4, 2018) — The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team’s full roster for the Prospects Challenge, which will run from Sept. 7 to 10 at Harborcenter.

**Buffalo’s Prospects Challenge roster can be found here.**

The Sabres will be joined by the Boston Bruins, New Jersey Devils and Pittsburgh Penguins to compete in a round-robin challenge featuring prospects from each team. The participating teams will each play three games during the course of the event, which will be held entirely at Harborcenter.

DmRfbljWwAI3CWU.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

SABRES ANNOUNCE FULL ROSTER FOR 2018 PROSPECTS CHALLENGE

BUFFALO, N.Y. (September 4, 2018) — The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team’s full roster for the Prospects Challenge, which will run from Sept. 7 to 10 at Harborcenter.

**Buffalo’s Prospects Challenge roster can be found here.**

The Sabres will be joined by the Boston Bruins, New Jersey Devils and Pittsburgh Penguins to compete in a round-robin challenge featuring prospects from each team. The participating teams will each play three games during the course of the event, which will be held entirely at Harborcenter.

DmRfbljWwAI3CWU.jpg

That is a very powerful line-up by the Sabres, on paper, they should cruise to the title.

• Like (+1) 1

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2018-19 - Prospect Challenge September 7-10
3 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

That is a very powerful line-up by the Sabres, on paper, they should cruise to the title.

33 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I like the defense corps quite a bit.

Stacked lineup for sure. 

I can not imagine any team in the tourney who will have a better top 6 defense than us-

Dahlin, Pilut, Guhle, Borgen, Hickey, Laaksonen/Stephens. 

And the forward group looks great too -

Mittelstadt, Nylander (who usually dominates against his age group), Asplund, Thompson, Olofsson, Oglevie and even Glotov, Cornel, Pekar and Peterson (if for nothing else but his age(24)/experience) are worth mentioning. 

With Luukkonen in net... 

That is a ridiculous lineup for a prospect tournament. Very excited to watch. 

• Like (+1) 2

Dahlin and Mittelstadt are big names at Prospects Challenge,...

Casey-Mittelstadt-1024x746.jpg

The Sabres don’t want their Prospects Challenge to be three games of shinny. Sure, the young players will have freedom to make plays (and mistakes), but there will be structure this week.

It’ll be vital for the players to heed the coaches. It could mean the difference between a long look in Buffalo or a quick trip out of town.

“We’re going to add a couple different new things to what we want to do system-wise,” said Rochester coach Chris Taylor, who will lead the Sabres’ prospects. “We’ll see who can grasp it the most and who is willing to take advantage of what they’ve got before the main camp.”

The Sabres announced their roster for the tournament Tuesday, and it includes top prospects Rasmus Dahlin, Casey Mittelstadt, Alex Nylander, Rasmus Asplund, Brendan Guhle, Tage Thompson and Victor Olofsson. Dahlin and Mittelstadt are the only ones with golden tickets to opening night in Buffalo. The rest will need to capture the attention of management and the coaching staff if they hope to start the year with the Sabres.

Dahlin Set to Take Ice for Sabres in Prospects Challenge

Rasmus Dahlin will play against NHL peers for the first time when the 18-year-old defenseman, chosen No. 1 by the Buffalo Sabres in the 2018 NHL Draft, joins teammates for the Prospects Challenge at HarborCenter beginning Friday.

The Sabres host the round-robin tournament, featuring prospects from the New Jersey Devils, Boston Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins. Each team will play three games in four days.

"I'm just so motivated to win hockey games so I'll bring everything I can to this team and try to win hockey games," Dahlin said in June just before the start of Buffalo's development camp, his first time on the ice as a member of the Sabres. "That's what I think about."

Sabres Could Have Special Rookie Class

BUFFALO – Right away, the rookie’s skill set – the heavy shot, soft hands and slick speed – wowed Sabres winger Kyle Okposo.

To Okposo, a 10-year NHL veteran, the newcomer “seems to have all the tools” to succeed at hockey’s highest level.

“His release is, I mean, he scored a few goals just kind of in informal skates that just kind of make your eyes open, for sure,” Okposo said Wednesday following a late-summer skate. “What impressed me, obviously, was his release, how good it is, but how soft his hands are around the net, how fast he is. Like, he’s able to just get up and go. …

“I’m looking forward to see how he does in camp.”

So, Okposo was describing Rasmus Dahlin, the defenseman the Sabres drafted first overall, right? Well, no. How about Casey Mittelstadt, one of hockey’s top center prospects? Not exactly.

Try winger Victor Olofsson, the Sabres’ seventh-round pick in 2014 and the Swedish Hockey League’s reigning goal king. Olofsson, 23, is about to start his first season in North America.
  • Like (+1) 2

9-6: Amerks' Coach Chris Taylor with The Instigators (12:45)

#Amerks head coach Chris Taylor joins @TheInstigators right now on WGR!

Taylor on Alex Nylander - I think we all forget how young he really is. He had some up and downs with injuries last year, but he had a good finish last season and earned his call up. We want him to get off to a good start this camp after a good summer. #Sabres

Taylor - He's still maturing. These two years he's spent in Rochester and this past season with the playoffs, I think he realizes how much he has to step up. But everyone now realizes what it takes to play in the AHL playoffs. #Sabres

Taylor - He's gifted offensively, but I thought he did better at tracking back and playing defensively for us. #Sabres

Taylor on Brendan Guhle - He's a great kid. He understood the situation he was in last year and did a great job for us. Here and there I thought he was ready for the NHL, but he knew he needed some work and he really worked on his game in Rochester. #Sabres

Taylor - You need internal competition to make guys better in this organization. We want Brendan to push guys and compete for a job in the NHL. If he's not ready, he'll come back and compete in Rochester. #Sabres

Taylor - We have to develop from within. Our job is to push these guys in Rochester, which will allow them to push for jobs in the NHL. #Sabres

• Like (+1) 1