I need a vacation

21 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

One of my favorite lines came from my sister-in-law talking about family vacations to Disney or wherever: "It's not really vacation, it's just going away".  For me vacation is getting away from work to the point that I'm not thinking about work. Usually takes a few days to get to that point. 

My wife's family owns a big house on a lake in the Adirondacks. My wife goes every summer for 2 weeks. Some of her family spends a month and a half there. I can basically go whenever I want in the summer. It is the most BORING "vacation" I've ever had. I went 3 years in a row and never again. I would rather take a week off from work and sit at home and do nothing than drive 3 and a half hours to this place. Point is, technically this would be a vacation, but no thanks. To me, a vacation is somewhere tropical, or somewhere fancy like Paris or Ireland or somewhere you don't go frequently. I don't count Adirondack type places as vacation because you're not really getting away 

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

My wife's family owns a big house on a lake in the Adirondacks. My wife goes every summer for 2 weeks. Some of her family spends a month and a half there. I can basically go whenever I want in the summer. It is the most BORING "vacation" I've ever had. I went 3 years in a row and never again. I would rather take a week off from work and sit at home and do nothing than drive 3 and a half hours to this place. Point is, technically this would be a vacation, but no thanks. To me, a vacation is somewhere tropical, or somewhere fancy like Paris or Ireland or somewhere you don't go frequently. I don't count Adirondack type places as vacation because you're not really getting away 

Yeah, everyone has their own happy place when it comes to vacation. I have friends that do:

Lake George every year...I'd be unhappy doing the same thing every year but I know friends that have great memories and look forward to it.

The amusement park thing (Disney, Universal, et. al.)...I hate crowds and lines, but those parks have some awesome stuff.

The islands. Wifey has had skin issues so sitting in the sun all day isn't an option and I think I'd get bored. But man does that sound relaxing, especially the all-inclusives.

We tend to take road trip vacations usually involving national parks, a fair amount of driving and a ton of planning. During a recent trip (and after a long day)  I remember telling wifey that we didn't take relaxing vacations. And yet that's what we keep doing and love. Some of my friends don't get it. To each their own.