Public Employees Salaries In WNY

All of the responses here prove my point that being a teacher or admin is the hardest job in America. They have to put up with !@#$s like you all on a daily basis.

277130[/snapback]

As long as teachers keep sucking up tax money for their overpaid salaries, we taxpayers have every right to complain and scream and yell.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe NYS teachers get 60% of their final salary once they put in 30 years.

277210[/snapback]

That's true. Here is a table to show what you get. Table.

There is a whole formula to work it out. Depends on tiers, service credits, average salary. There is a calculator here.

For example, a tier 4 teacher with 35 years of service with a final average salary of $50,000 will have a maximum pension of $35,000

Please, please, PLEASE tell me where this magical school district is. I want my fiancee to get a job there.

277107[/snapback]

Sure, Allentown School District in Allentown PA. Or any other PA school district.

The formula goes like this:

Final average salary (top 3 years) X 2.5% X years of service.

So let's say someone in PA starts teaching at age 21, and retires at age 56 with a final salary of 50K.

That's 50,000 * .025 * 35 or $43750. Damn close to 100%.

So hey, kegtapr and FISD...Tell me again how teachers have it rough.

Let's assume this teacher lives to be 80. That's 24 years * 43750. A cool $1 million PLUS. AND that's not taking into COLA, Social Security and all the other numerous drains on taxpayer resources this retired teacher is responsible for. Did I mention they get cut-rate health insurance on the state too? With all due respect to the HUGE sacrifices your wife makes, FISD, there is NO way she put in $1 million over her career. NO EFFING WAY.

Oncce again, prove me wrong you mullets. Prove this hard-working, ECONOMY-GROWING taxpayer wrong.

That's true. Here is a table to show what you get. Table.

There is a whole formula to work it out. Depends on tiers, service credits, average salary. There is a calculator here.

For example, a tier 4 teacher with 35 years of service with a final average salary of $50,000 will have a maximum pension of $35,000

277227[/snapback]

GUARANTEED.

For life.

Find another retirement plan that even comes close to that, and it's ALL on the public dole.

Yeah, for guys who put their LIVES ON THE LINE.

Check the formula for PA it's ABSURD.

277523[/snapback]

You obviously didn't attend a city school. :w00t:

I also didn't say I agreed with it. No one should get more than the military, which is 50% of nothing after 20 years of getting paid same. All for the right to live in a tent, eat Meals Refused by Ethiopians, and have people try and kill you. Great fun.

Then dont complain about a teachers salary. I dont complain about or begrudge you your salary.

277085[/snapback]

You don't pay my salary, and have no say in what I make. I, on the other hand, pay yours.

Now, tell me where I complained about what you get paid. I didn't. And yet, you gripe and grouse about your salary and job. What kind of example is that for your students? Think they can't sense your apathy? Every teacher who bitches about their job, and that's most of them, passes that resentment and bitterness on to the students.

The ones who truly enjoy teaching shine through.

Tell me, what other retirement plan GUARANTEES your final salary for the rest of your God-given life?!?!

That's 50,000 * .025 * 35 or  $43750. Damn close to 100%.

277486[/snapback]

So the final salary is GUARANTEED, yet someone who has a final salary of 50,000 gets 43,750 for their pension. Let's see, according to what i learned in 3rd grade 50000-43750=6250 difference. In NYS that would be a $15,000 difference as the same teacher would only get 35000 in a pension. Last I checked, teachers around here don't get 401k's. I don't know about you, but with wise savings and investments I plan on having this kind of money for my own pension as I'm already ahead of 95% of people my own age. And guess what, I won't be paying in that amount on my return either. Fancy that.

No where did I say teaching is the hardest job in the world. And no where did I say that soldiers should get paid less. I'd be willing to have my taxes raised to pay soldiers more (after the waste is cut of course.) Both of these jobs are vital to the country and they both deserve respect and good pay. Stop using these tired old arguements because no one here is debating this. At this point, it's the same as yelling FLIGHT SUIT!

Many younger teacher are for performance pay, my fiancee is one of them. She'd rather stake her future on her ability to teach rather then what the union can provide her. She see's how some of the worst teachers continue to get a free ride. Some changes do need to be made, but cutting salary and pension for the sake of cutting salary and pension doesn't make sense.

Who do you want teaching your kids? Some of the brightest minds or Billie Joe from a trailer in Alabama? The brightest and best are ususally drawn to higher paying careers so if you pay teachers jack, you'll get idiots teaching your kids.

You certianly seem to have an issue with educators. Why am I under the impression that you pee'd your pants while giving a book report in 4th grade and Mrs. Johnson pointed and laughed?

It would be easier to take you seriously if you didn't prove your own overstatement by embellishing the amount in the first example for the sake of grandstanding.

Mind if I print that and file it under "T" for Tard?

So the final salary is GUARANTEED, yet someone who has a final salary of 50,000 gets 43,750 for their pension. Let's see, according to what i learned in 3rd grade 50000-43750=6250 difference. In NYS that would be a $15,000 difference as the same teacher would only get 35000 in a pension. Last I checked, teachers around here don't get 401k's. I don't know about you, but with wise savings and investments I plan on having this kind of money for my own pension as I'm already ahead of 95% of people my own age. And guess what, I won't be paying in that amount on my return either. Fancy that.

Let's go through this paragraph by boneheaded paragraph. 1st: If someone offered me a GUARANTEED 43,750 a year for the rest of my life when I retire, and all I had to do was put $100 a paycheck into it, I'd take it. And no, teachers can't get a 401(k), but the can use 403(b) plans and Roth IRAs. My wife and I do. So NYS' pension sucks? Got a solution: Move to PA. The percentage is MUCH better.

No where did I say teaching is the hardest job in the world. And no where did I say that soldiers should get paid less. I'd be willing to have my taxes raised to pay soldiers more (after the waste is cut of course.) Both of these jobs are vital to the country and they both deserve respect and good pay. Stop using these tired old arguements because no one here is debating this. At this point, it's the same as yelling FLIGHT SUIT!

Soldiers should far outpace teachers in pay. Why? Their job involves the possible loss of life or limb. Hard to argue against that.

Many younger teacher are for performance pay, my fiancee is one of them. She'd rather stake her future on her ability to teach rather then what the union can provide her. She see's how some of the worst teachers continue to get a free ride. Some changes do need to be made, but cutting salary and pension for the sake of cutting salary and pension doesn't make sense.

Huh? What are you talking about? EVERY teacher in PA is a member of PSEA (the state branch of NEA). EVERY teacher gets their tenure at 5 years, when they get their level 2 certification. NYS must have implemented some sort of reform. If it's true, good for them, but I HIGHLY doubt it.

Who do you want teaching your kids? Some of the brightest minds or Billie Joe from a trailer in Alabama? The brightest and best are ususally drawn to higher paying careers so if you pay teachers jack, you'll get idiots teaching your kids.

Guess what? We in PA are paying out the arse and STILL getting idiots teaching our kids. Do we have good teachers? Yes, and my wife is one of them. But for every good teacher, there are two that blow.

You certianly seem to have an issue with educators. Why am I under the impression that you pee'd your pants while giving a book report in 4th grade and Mrs. Johnson pointed and laughed?

God I miss that :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: smiley. I don't hate teachers you ****. I just think they are over-paid.

It would be easier to take you seriously if you didn't prove your own overstatement by embellishing the amount in the first example for the sake of grandstanding.

Mind if I print that and file it under "T" for Tard?

OK, so it's only 85%. So sue me. Still a golden egg, no matter how much your shriveled little brain tries to reconcile it.

277725[/snapback]

You didn't excel at reading comprehension in school did you? You didn't argue one of my points.

Let's go through this paragraph by boneheaded paragraph. 1st: If someone offered me a GUARANTEED 43,750 a year for the rest of my life when I retire, and all I had to do was put $100 a paycheck into it, I'd take it. And no, teachers can't get a 401(k), but the can use 403(b) plans and Roth IRAs. My wife and I do. So NYS' pension sucks? Got a solution: Move to PA. The percentage is MUCH better

Yeah, so? That is exactly what I said. I was just showing that your were overstating your arguement. It's damn good, I never said it wasn't. It's not the 100% you were implying though. Falsehoods are falsehoods and you got caught trying to push one.

Soldiers should far outpace teachers in pay. Why? Their job involves the possible loss of life or limb. Hard to argue against that.

Once again, no one is arguing that. If I were to play devils advocate for a moment though, someone earlier said teachers knew what the were in for when they took the job so they can't complain. Well, soldiers know what they are in for when they take the job too. if you want to use that logic, it applies across the board. You're starting to run out of ways to yell flight suit.

Huh? What are you talking about? EVERY teacher in PA is a member of PSEA (the state branch of NEA). EVERY teacher gets their tenure at 5 years, when they get their level 2 certification. NYS must have implemented some sort of reform. If it's true, good for them, but I HIGHLY doubt it.

If you could please take a moment to break out what little reading comprehension skills you do have, you'llsee I didn't say anywhere that things have changed. What I did say is that many young teachers are for performance pay. They see how the old system is hurting some classrooms.

Guess what? We in PA are paying out the arse and STILL getting idiots teaching our kids. Do we have good teachers? Yes, and my wife is one of them. But for every good teacher, there are two that blow.

Finally, something we agree on. This is why many young teachers are for performance pay. If that is how the system worked people like you would lose their arguement.

God I miss that :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: smiley. I don't hate teachers you ****. I just think they are over-paid.

Don't be so sensitive Alice. I apologize for bringing up painful memories that you no doubt had suppressed.

OK, so it's only 85%. So sue me. Still a golden egg, no matter how much your shriveled little brain tries to reconcile it.

Still got caught overstating your arguement. A regional arguement at that.

i wouldn't mind paying teachers 100k if they were good and the students did well. Unfortunately, you can't pay the good ones 100k and the bad ones 30k thanks to (drum roll please....) THE UNIONS.

I was at a school in Houston last month and watched a teacher take an online quiz designed for 3rd graders. She had to pick a state  from multiple choice options - the state was Michigan. Her first choice? Connecticut. Her second choice? South Carolina.....

275252[/snapback]

Where?.... And this is important as I am relocationing to the Houston Area and need to find a good school district..

Once again, no one is arguing that. If I were to play devils advocate for a moment though, someone earlier said teachers knew what the were in for when they took the job so they can't complain. Well, soldiers know what they are in for when they take the job too. if you want to use that logic, it applies across the board. You're starting to run out of ways to yell flight suit.

That would be someone *ELSE'S* argument, let's try to keep this limited to our convo? Thanks.

If you could please take a moment to break out what little reading comprehension skills you do have, you'llsee I didn't say anywhere that things have changed. What I did say is that many young teachers are for performance pay. They see how the old system is hurting some classrooms.

Good for them. Now let's see them push their unions to change the system> like I said, I'll believe it when I see it.

Finally, something we agree on. This is why many young teachers are for performance pay. If that is how the system worked people like you would lose their arguement.

Yer damn right I would, and I'd be happy to. All i want to see is teachers EARN what they get.

Still got caught overstating your arguement. A regional arguement at that.

Shame on me for not sitting down and calculating what turnes out to be at best a 12-15% difference. Shame, shame, shame. Also shame on me for not being up to snuff on NYS' education retirement system. I have a life and a job.

277822[/snapback]

I have a life and a job.

277822[/snapback]

278054[/snapback]

Well at least you're making attempts to stimulate that weak brain of yours. :doh:

Seriously, good debate. That was fun. Those are very rare around here now days which is why I haven't been around like I used to. Don't take anything I said personal.

Now like you, I must make a living and try to get some actual work done. Is it Friday yet?