Public Employees Salaries In WNY

Good, i'm glad she'll be out earning me. Her job is a hell of a lot more important.

My point is it is not a cakewalk from the beginning. In my eyes she'll earn everything she gets. With all the government waste, the last place people need to be looking right now is at teachers salaries. Clean up the other messes then we'll talk.

And how in the hell can any job have more responsibilty then educating Americas future?  ;)

276801[/snapback]

I'm not arguing Importance. What job could be more important than the job of a soldier?

Yet, a private is paid NOTHING.

That argument is tired, to say the least. The teachers' union is so corrupt and so merciless, IT is what has destroyed education. By relentlessly fighting for tenure and other such outdated ideas, they've created an environment where good teahchers die a stultifying career death and old, jaded teaches sit around and wait for retirement.

AGAIN, I know. I see it every time I socialize with my wife's coworkers. Half of the people she works with would have been thrown out of private-sector jobs instead of coddled and spoiled and given everything without earning anything.

Is it a hard job? Yes. Is it a thankless job? Yes, it often is. But compared with the life of a Sanitation Worker or Army Private, it's EASY. And, you only have to do it for 9 months out of the year.

In America, you are paid what you are truly worth, not what you THINK you are worth.

That's life.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most teachers are underpaid - as are most non-teachers.

But now if we are talking about the top supervisors / administrators / presidents / ceos / whatevers - then we can talk about being overpaid.

And why should the entertainment industry make so much money I'll never know.

And why should the entertainment industry make so much money I'll never know.

276830[/snapback]

Volume. An actor that only works in a local theatre makes a pittance. An actor that works in a medium where MILLIONS of people pay money to see the end production such as a movie theoretically is getting a % which translates into beaucoup bucks. It sucks, I agree that actors (and other entertainment figures such as athletes) make WAY MORE than they are worth, but whatta ya going to do?

Volume. An actor that only works in a local theatre makes a pittance. An actor that works in a medium where MILLIONS of people pay money to see the end production such as a movie theoretically is getting a % which translates into beaucoup bucks. It sucks, I agree that actors (and other entertainment figures suck as athletes) make WAY MORE than they are worth, but whatta ya going to do?

276869[/snapback]

Vee could alvays communize, Komrade.

It sucks, I agree that actors (and other entertainment figures suck as athletes) make WAY MORE than they are worth, but whatta ya going to do?

276869[/snapback]

Bring back the gladiator games? If the probability of death is at stake then they deserve the money!

Bring back the gladiator games?  If the probability of death is at stake then they deserve the money!

276882[/snapback]

Works for me. I've said those stupid survivor reality shows are disingenuous unless they allow for death as a possibility.

Tell me a 'The Running Man' type of TV Show wouldn't get huge ratings...

;)

Works for me. I've said those stupid survivor reality shows are disingenuous unless they allow for death as a possibility.

Tell me a 'The Running Man' type of TV Show wouldn't get huge ratings...

;)

276887[/snapback]

That's why I also think they should bring back public hangings. States are missing out on a ton of money they could get from pay per view execution.

Let me add a counterweight to your emotional rant.

Let me preface this by saying both my wife and my mother are teachers, so I KNOW what teaching is like.

Teachers work 9 months out of the year. You gave an example of a median income of 50K. Let's assume that is correct. That comes to $4166 dollars a month, gross. In my estimation, the teacher earning that sum should only be paid $38,000 a year. Why?

Because if you or I worked in the Private Sector for 9 months a year, you or I would only be paid for when we worked. Why should Education be any different?

Also, teachers get an INCREDIBLY generous pension, one that will pay them their final salary for the REST OF THEIR LIVES once they retire. Find another job that has THAT little perk. Oh, and when they die, their spouses get a HANDSOME death benefit from the pension.

But wait, there's MORE! Teachers get every conceivable holidy, including an AUTOMATIC 2 week break at Christmas. Let's not forget the snow days, either. And while we're on the topic of time off, in my wife's district, they get something like 15 paid sick days each year that ROLL OVER to the following year.

I won't even get in to tenure and union protection.

Yeah, let me tell you, those teachers SURE have it rough living off the public dime.

276194[/snapback]

Following your 9 month theory. Teachers have trained for their profession. What job can they do in the other time that wouldn't be considered anything but minimum wage?

Is it the teachers fault kids need time off from learning. Little Johnny cant go to school 50 weeks a year like an adult. Dont blame teachers for that. They need a fair salary for their profession. That same pay scale exists pretty much in California where $4100 bucks a month oesnt get you much. Your house payment or rent alone is going to be 1500 to 2000 a month.

If you think it such a cruise with cushy benefits why dont you jump on the paork barrrel band wagon? No ? Could it be becuase you know its harder than you make it out to be.

My wife pays most of her own salary into the pension. The govt doesn't match all that much if any. So spare me the pension thing.

Everything you write about is part of your job. Of course there are some parts of it that are hard. If it was all fun and games, they wouldn't have to pay you to do it.

I hear your rant from teachers, in particular, all the time. It goes something like, "I'd like to see you do my job." That's so childish. I didn't choose your job; you did. Stop whining about all of the things that go into doing your job, and just do it.

In answer to lots of your other complaints, see JSP's post. (Good god... did I just use JSP as a source? <Washes mouth out with soap.>)

276249[/snapback]

Then dont complain about a teachers salary. I dont complain about or begrudge you your salary.

i agree that teachers are underpaid in society (while brainless !@#$s like 50 cent make millions) but teaching gets much easier over the years...you keep teaching the same stuff over and over again so you won't need to change your lesson plans too much

i'd love to teach at a primary school level after working in the private sector for several years

276623[/snapback]

Except for when a new political machine comes in and changes everything all over again. Retraining, new policies, procedures, etc, etc. It never stays constant.

Following your 9 month theory. Teachers have trained for their profession. What job can they do in the other time that wouldn't be considered anything but minimum wage?

My sister makes thousands of dollars in the summer as a private tutor for students.

How many teachers simply choose not to work in the summer? The suggestion that someone who can afford to take 2-3 months unpaid vacation every year is underpaid is laughable.

Is it the teachers fault kids need time off from learning. Little Johnny cant go to school 50 weeks a year like an adult. Dont blame teachers for that. They need a fair salary for their profession. That same pay scale exists pretty much in California where $4100 bucks a month oesnt get you much. Your house payment or rent alone is going to be 1500 to 2000 a month.

If you think it such a cruise with cushy benefits why dont you jump on the paork barrrel band wagon? No ? Could it be becuase you know its harder than you make it out to be.

My wife pays most of her own salary into the pension. The govt doesn't match all that much if any. So spare me the pension thing.

277081[/snapback]

Oh horsesh!t. The pension, at least here in PA is like $100 a paycheck. PEANUTS.

And nonsense that kids can't learn 52 weeks a year. Some districts do it already. The summer off thing had to do with when kids worked on farms. They get MORE than a fair salary for their profession, considering what they do.

I would jump on the "pork barrel band wagon" but I have this thing called a family. To support a family, I have to have a job. Jobs take time. Time is one thing a student teacher doesn't have. If I was 20 and single again, I would do it 100 times out of 100.

CA must have a sh---ola pension for teachers, but I doubt that. Tell me, what other retirement plan GUARANTEES your final salary for the rest of your God-given life?!?! Sign me up.

And compared to MY job, teaching is a snap. I deal with retarded computer illiterates all day. At least kids you can tell to stay in their desk and work. And I don't get GUARANTEED RAISES and TENURE and ALL HOLIDAYS.

Fair salary....I'm LMFAO.

My sister makes thousands of dollars in the summer as a private tutor for students.

How many teachers simply choose not to work in the summer?  The suggestion that someone who can afford to take 2-3 months unpaid vacation every year is underpaid is laughable.

277094[/snapback]

BINGO.

Anyone who has a job where it's OPTIONAL to work in the summer cannot be underpaid.

Tell me, what other retirement plan GUARANTEES your final salary for the rest of your God-given life?!?! Sign me up.

277095[/snapback]

Please, please, PLEASE tell me where this magical school district is. I want my fiancee to get a job there.

All of the responses here prove my point that being a teacher or admin is the hardest job in America. They have to put up with !@#$s like you all on a daily basis.

277130[/snapback]

Don't worry, apparently your wife will be getting her final salary every year until she dies. ;)