Question about practice squads

Going to show my NFL ignorance here with what I hope isn't too stupid of a question: How do practice squad QB's work? Assuming the Bills don't keep 3 Qb's on the 53 man roster, would the low man on the totem pole then automatically be relegated to the practice squad? Or would the low man be outright cut, and another PS QB brought in?

Hypothetically, If one of the 3 Qb's on the roster was obviously way behind the other 2, would getting work with the PS be beneficial? I can't imagine a 1st round QB has ever been put on a PS, and I would imagine AJMAc would likely hang up the cleats if he doesn't make the 53 man, but what about a guy like Peterman?

8 minutes ago, RollBillsRoll said:

Going to show my NFL ignorance here with what I hope isn't too stupid of a question: How do practice squad QB's work? Assuming the Bills don't keep 3 Qb's on the 53 man roster, would the low man on the totem pole then automatically be relegated to the practice squad? Or would the low man be outright cut, and another PS QB brought in?

Hypothetically, If one of the 3 Qb's on the roster was obviously way behind the other 2, would getting work with the PS be beneficial? I can't imagine a 1st round QB has ever been put on a PS, and I would imagine AJMAc would likely hang up the cleats if he doesn't make the 53 man, but what about a guy like Peterman?

You have to be eligible for the PS. I will find a link that shows the relatively new rules. You have to be put on waivers first, so any team has a right to claim your third QB if he is released. If he clears waivers then he can be signed to your PS. And workout with the team but not dress for games. At any point, a team can try to sign him off your practice squad with no competition.

What happens is, the player's agent informs the team that another team has offered your guy a contract. You can then offer him that same contract or even more, and then the player chooses which team he wants to sign with.

Here are the rules...

https://www.hogshaven.com/2017/9/2/16246584/how-it-works-nfl-practice-squad-rules-eligibility-salary-and-more-redskins-nfl

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You have to be eligible for the PS. I will find a link that shows the relatively new rules. You have to be put on waivers first, so any team has a right to claim your third QB if he is released. If he clears waivers then he can be signed to your PS. And workout with the team but not dress for games. At any point, a team can try to sign him off your practice squad with no competition.

What happens is, the player's agent informs the team that another team has offered your guy a contract. You can then offer him that same contract or even more, and then the player chooses which team he wants to sign with.

S o is it fair to say, that with a rookie, and a question mark at OL, carrying 3 Qb's would be a wise move? Man, roster limits are brutal...

2 minutes ago, RollBillsRoll said:

S o is it fair to say, that with a rookie, and a question mark at OL, carrying 3 Qb's would be a wise move? Man, roster limits are brutal...

I doubt they carry three. Teams used to carry three. Two has been more of the norm in the last few years. I would put money on Peterman being cut, no one taking him, and then he goes to the PS. There is no reason to keep him on the active roster. You would never dress him for the game. If one of your two ahead of him get hurt in a game you just put him on the active roster. No one is going to sign Peterman to their active roster off the Bills PS. One thing I didn't mention is that if the other team offers a contract to your PS guy they MUST put him on their active roster for at least three games. They can't put him on their own PS. And if you match or beat their offer he must be put on your active roster of 53.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RollBillsRoll said:

No teams can decide to keep however many players they want from a position on the 53 man roster. If they want to keep 5 QBs they could keep 5.

Most teams either keep 2 or 3. 2 is dangerous because we have seen plenty of games where both QBs go down, but then again, if you get to the point where your 3rd string QB has to play, whats the chance you win the game anyway versus just handing it off almost every play or running some trick plays? Probably about the same honestly.

I'd be surprised if the Bills keep 3 on the active roster. It would either mean all 3 have had great camps and pre-seasons or Allen's has been a bit disappointing. If either of the other 2 are disappointing they will be cut (and Peterman maybe brought back for the PS). 

15 minutes ago, Dalton said:

They kept 3 last year and it was required for 1 game.  Of course, Webb was kept just for his package

The 3rd QB played 278 Special Teams snaps (over 63%). Somehow I don't see any of the 3 this year doing that...

20 minutes ago, Dalton said:

They kept 3 last year and it was required for 1 game.  Of course, Webb was kept just for his package

They didn't keep Webb as the third QB as you well know. Yes, he could play it in a pinch but if he didn't play ST so well he wouldn't have been on the team let alone active on gameday.