Connor Williams

Bill from NYC

I haven't had much time this year to really scout the draft. That said, I was watching the NFL Channel today and saw Connor Williams in drills.  He looks like a huge, mean blocker. This is something that the Bills desperately need, and have needed for some time.

Tyrod is no longer here to run away from trouble. The left side is gone and we already sucked at RT. I want this kid on the Buffalo Bills.

What do you all think?

7 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I haven't had much time this year to really scout the draft. That said, I was watching the NFL Channel today and saw Connor Williams in drills.  He looks like a huge, mean blocker. This is something that the Bills desperately need, and have needed for some time.

Tyrod is no longer here to run away from trouble. The left side is gone and we already sucked at RT. I want this kid on the Buffalo Bills.

What do you all think?

Solid player, would make a good RT for us.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2018 at 8:13 PM, Bill from NYC said:

What do you all think?

I think Dallas got a steal, Bill.  But I think we did okay with Wyatt Teller.  He's a grabber though.  He's going to have to lose that in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JoeF said:

I think Dallas got a steal, Bill.  But I think we did okay with Wyatt Teller.  He's a grabber though.  He's going to have to lose that in the NFL.

As I said in another thread, the Bills OL might go back to sucking once again. Tyrod won't be there to but a band aid on it.

McCarron did wonderful things at Bama but he played behind probably the best OL in the history of college football, especially the year they destroyed Notre Dame. ND was obviously a good team but they had zero chance against the Tide OL from the very first play.

It's too bad because a weak OL would really harm the Bills chances at making the playoffs. We Bills Fans are just too accustomed to this. :(

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

As I said in another thread, the Bills OL might go back to sucking once again. Tyrod won't be there to but a band aid on it.

McCarron did wonderful things at Bama but he played behind probably the best OL in the history of college football, especially the year they destroyed Notre Dame. ND was obviously a good team but they had zero chance against the Tide OL from the very first play.

It's too bad because a weak OL would really harm the Bills chances at making the playoffs. We Bills Fans are just too accustomed to this. :(

I agree with you that Connor Williams would be a plug and play type player. The Bills certainly could have used a top shelf lineman like him to bolster an at best average OL. But there were other priorities. Getting a legitimate franchise qb prospect was certainly more important than getting a stud lineman. And with our second pick that was a made in the first round who can complain about the selection of Edmunds who also filled a critical need. 

When this new regime took over it did so with the intention of rebuilding a mismatched roster. I believe that it will take nearly four years to rework the roster that was inherited. (I'm not going to exaggerate my evaluation of the roster because of our luck in making the playoffs last year.)

I get the sense that the McBeane brain trust has a blueprint on what needs to be done, and it is steadily adding the bricks to get it done. There is no debate that getting the qb was the most important task in building a foundation for more sustained success. Even more important than getting a stud lineman.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I agree with you that Connor Williams would be a plug and play type player. The Bills certainly could have used a top shelf lineman like him to bolster an at best average OL. But there were other priorities. Getting a legitimate franchise qb prospect was certainly more important than getting a stud lineman. And with our second pick that was a made in the first round who can complain about the selection of Edmunds who also filled a critical need. 

When this new regime took over it did so with the intention of rebuilding a mismatched roster. I believe that it will take nearly four years to rework the roster that was inherited. (I'm not going to exaggerate my evaluation of the roster because of our luck in making the playoffs last year.)

I get the sense that the McBeane brain trust has a blueprint on what needs to be done, and it is steadily adding the bricks to get it done. There is no debate that getting the qb was the most important task in building a foundation for more sustained success. Even more important than getting a stud lineman.  

I agree with your entire post. I don't remember being happier with a Buffalo Bills draft (to include 2 udfas from the Crimson Tide :)).

John, I don't know if the draft will work out well, but I love the theme of it. Now, were it up to me I would have allocated more resources to  blockers but I an not the GM and again, the draft was quite sound imo. Now, if they don't bolster the OL next year I will be pissed off.

PS: This OL class didn't appear to be that great. There will be some studs coming out of you know where in 2019. Trust me. ;)

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

I agree with your entire post. I don't remember being happier with a Buffalo Bills draft (to include 2 udfas from the Crimson Tide :)).

John, I don't know if the draft will work out well, but I love the theme of it. Now, were it up to me I would have allocated more resources to  blockers but I an not the GM and again, the draft was quite sound imo. Now, if they don't bolster the OL next year I will be pissed off.

PS: This OL class didn't appear to be that great. There will be some studs coming out of you know where in 2019. Trust me. ;)

Your reasoning behind the importance of the OL is inextricably linked with the success of Josh Allen. I don't envision him as a prolific west coast passer like Goff or a Rosen type qb. I see him more of a Ben Roethlisberger type qb who throws the ball downfield but relies on a running game to promote the more play action type throws. 

There is still so much more to be done to enhance the roster before the Bills become a serious team. Upgrading OL and improving the receiver corps are still needs on our shopping list. I would have also liked to see another running back added to the mix but you can't do everything at one time. 

What makes me optimistic is that when you compare the Whaley mismatch philosophy to roster building to the more thoughtful and coherent approach that McBeane has exhibited during their short stint you have to be excited about the future. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.