A new approach to QB projections shows the 2018 NFL Draft class doesn’t match its hype

Really interesting article, basically arguing the opposite of my Scouts Inc thread...this article basically says that this year's QB class is weak, and notably gives guys the following comparisons based on projected success at the next level (listed in order from high to low success rate). As you'll see below, the comparisons are downright frightening, but I would urge you to read the article anyways because it's a really interesting look at things using some advanced metrics.

Baker Mayfield: Russell Wilson

Sam Darnold: Colt McCoy

Mason Rudolph: Jared Goff

Logan Woodside: Nick Foles

Riley Ferguson: Zach Mettenberger

Nick Stevens: Mike Glennon

JT Barrett: Jake Locker

Luke Falk: Brett Hundley

Lamar Jackson: Brandon Weeden

Mike White: Jacoby Brissett

Josh Rosen: Brandon Weeden

Chase Litton: Tim Tebow

Josh Allen: Deshone Kizer

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/5/17046116/2018-nfl-draft-quarterbacks-josh-allen-sam-darnold-projections-hype

Edit: I should mention that this study focuses solely on passing, so for example, it would be reasonable to expect Lamar Jackson and probably Josh Allen and JT Barrett to outplay the expectations from this study.

Edited by DCOrange

Just now, 4merper4mer said:

Based on this input only, if given the choice, I would opt for Mayfield.

Lalueleluelaluletta doesn't even make the board?

I'm not certain, but I don't think the stats used for this study exist at Lauletta's level of competition.

That's a bizarre use of stats.

Football Outsiders uses these stats to grade the whole offense, not the QB. The writer pretty much agrees with this, saying you can't separate players out. Yet he's doing so.

He also seems to use pro stats, but only from the first four years. Which would really help fast starters and grade down guys who started slower. And because he uses some (reasonable) ways to cull the guys he might have looked at and is only looking at QBs from 2010 or later, he has only looked at 38 QBs college-to-pro results so far.

He points out that a guy like Rosen who sat for a year in college has a big advantage over guys who played early, and says the same thing happens for QBs who sit for a while as a pro at the beginning of their career, these numbers are better when they start later. 

I read most of the article, but it's night over here. I'm beat. Looks like an interesting avenue of approach but I don't he's putting this out there as much more than an interesting idea that he has to work more on, that shows some promise. He likes it better in showing ceilings. 

This is early in looking at this method. It's interesting, though.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

It is, but the section about a QB's ceiling was particularly interesting to me considering that there were zero outliers in the dataset.

41 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Football Outsiders uses these stats to grade the whole offense, not the QB. The writer pretty much agrees with this, saying you can't separate players out. Yet he's doing so.

He also seems to use pro stats, but only from the first four years. Which would really help fast starters and grade down guys who started slower. And because he uses some (reasonable) ways to cull the guys he might have looked at and is only looking at QBs from 2010 or later, he has only looked at 38 QBs college-to-pro results so far.

He points out that a guy like Rosen who sat for a year in college has a big advantage over guys who played early, and says the same thing happens for QBs who sit for a while as a pro at the beginning of their career, these numbers are better when they start later. 

I read most of the article, but it's night over here. I'm beat. Looks like an interesting avenue of approach but I don't he's putting this out there as much more than an interesting idea that he has to work more on, that shows some promise. He likes it better in showing ceilings. 

This is early in looking at this method. It's interesting, though.

Yeah, credit to him for showing his work in a way that Football Outsiders often doesn't, but I think he reaches some dubious conclusions.  First off, a 0.27 correlation is barely anything.  A century ago when I was in school, we were taught that 0.3 was the minimum correlation that could be considered significant.  Second, despite correctly noting that marginal explosiveness has essentially no correlation to QB success, he still throws into into his analysis anyway.