Bucky Brooks Scout's Notebook: Stop Overdrafting Quarterbacks!

18 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That was 40 years ago............and then the QB position meant considerably less.   

Face it.........the current NFL is set up to be all about the QB..........and the owners like it that way because they only HAVE to pay ONE player...........everyone else is dispensable.

The dumbest thing they could do from a business aspect would be to legislate the game to make other positions more closely valued to the QB.

Would you rather have Andrew Luck or Fletcher Cox and David DeCastro and Lavonte David and Russel Wilson and TY Hilton?

That is what the opportunity cost of trading two #1s, two #2s, and 1 #3 in 2012

51 minutes ago, Pete said:

Would you rather have Andrew Luck or Fletcher Cox and David DeCastro and Lavonte David and Russel Wilson and TY Hilton?

That is what the opportunity cost of trading two #1s, two #2s, and 1 #3 in 2012

Let me know the next time a team has 3 round draft like that..........because it will be the first.

Has NEVER happened in 50 years = not realistic = NOT your opportunity cost.

Your odds of getting a franchise QB with a top 5 pick are MUCH higher than NEVER.    It ACTUALLY happens.

Greatest draft class of all time was 1974 Steelers.........they drafted 4 HOF'ers in that entire draft.........none of whom make the HOF without Terry Bradshaw who they had drafted #1 overall 4 years earlier.

But nobody else has come anywhere close to that class.

Now Shaq, Ragnuts and Adolphus on the other hand.........THAT actually happened............and the Bills were commended by analysts and the vast majority of fans for those picks. 

"Off the bus starters!":lol:

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

yup.   and don't forget if you hit on a qb draft pick you have him for at least a dozen years, whereas some players like Barkley might have a prime career of half that time. 

Exactly........but the way things are now.......top QB's are good for 15-20 years........which was what I meant by "get your QB then you can stick to your draft board for the next 15-20 years".      

The example I always point to is the Chargers LaDanian Tomlinson/Drew Brees draft.........you could scarcely draft a more productive player at his position.......dude was incredible.........but the last time he was a real star at RB was 2007.......Drew Brees might still be a star QB in 2019 or even 2020.      That's ridiculous value disparity.

As I've said.........the Bills haven't picked many QB's in round 1 during the last half century.........and since the drought started, despite all the high picks.......we are lucky if the AVERAGE Bills first rounder complete his first contract with the team.

• Like (+1) 2