Our O line next year...

keithg

I think we are going to go with Trey as our LT and we will sign either DeMulling or Womack as our LG. We will keep the right side with Villy and Big Mike the same for continuity and then in the draft, we should take one of the top centerslike Chris Spencer or David Baas with our first pick and plug him in from day one.

That way we have Tucker as a back up C/G, Gandy as a back up G/T, WomackDeMulling who can slide over to T if injuries crop up and then fill in with McFarland, Peters and L Smith.

TT/FW or RD/Draft C/Villy/MW would be a good O line...one that would get better as the season went by and one that wouldn't break the bank...any thoughts? :blush:

I'm not too thrilled about Teague at LT. I do like the idea of getting one of the top centers in the draft. I wouldn't stop there, though. I'd also go after a top notch guard prospect as well. Depth AND talent is needed in the interior of our OL.

I think we are going to go with Trey as our LT and we will sign either DeMulling or Womack as our LG.  We will keep the right side with Villy and Big Mike the same for continuity and then in the draft, we should take one of the top centerslike Chris Spencer or David Baas with our first pick and plug him in from day one.

That way we have Tucker as a back up C/G, Gandy as a back up G/T, WomackDeMulling who can slide over to T if injuries crop up and then fill in with McFarland, Peters and L Smith.

TT/FW or RD/Draft C/Villy/MW would be a good O line...one that would get better as the season went by and one that wouldn't break the bank...any thoughts? :blush:

272338[/snapback]

I like your thought but worry a bit about Teague at LT, Is he good enough to be solid there?

As far as the rest, its an upgrade at LG, push at RG and RT, maybe a drop at the C position even if we land Baas (I thought Teague was pretty good last year).

I hope that Teague does a good job at LT, we grab DeMulling or Womack, and manage to get Baas.

I'm not too thrilled about Teague at LT.  I do like the idea of getting one of the top centers in the draft.  I wouldn't stop there, though.  I'd also go after a top notch guard prospect as well.  Depth AND talent is needed in the interior of our OL.

272346[/snapback]

Great minds think alike Rich...

I really want the Bills to draft either Wilkerson or Spencer, depending on who grades the best in the weeks prior to the Draft since I really believe that both will be around for us when we pick at #55. And our 3rd rounder should also be spent on O-Line...Guard...Tackle...whatever, as long as we get the best O-Lineman available in the 3rd.

I know how you feel about Teague BUT if McNally thinks he can handle the position I feel he would be adequate. He is supposed to be the most athletic guy of our O linemen and if Mouse can improve his technique or footwork from his Denver days he should be a decent starter for the next year or so til we groom Peters or McFarland or a draft choice for the future.

I really want the Bills to draft either Wilkerson or Spencer, depending on who grades the best in the weeks prior to the Draft since I really believe that both will be around for us when we pick at #55.  And our 3rd rounder should also be spent on O-Line...Guard...Tackle...whatever, as long as we get the best O-Lineman available in the 3rd.

272357[/snapback]

I'm also on the "draft OL with 2nd and 3rd round picks" bandwagon. I'm seeing Bass being listed as a OC at some draft sites and OG at others. Does he have experience at OC and can he step in and play the position from day one?

I'm also on the "draft OL with 2nd and 3rd round picks" bandwagon.  I'm seeing Bass being listed as a OC at some draft sites and OG at others.  Does he have experience at OC and can he step in and play the position from day one?

272365[/snapback]

Baas would be the best option for us because he is amazingly versatile and dominant...sadly, his stock has been soaring lately and he'll easily be gone by our pick. A shame too because I remember the Bills front office spending a lot of time with him at the Combine, according to the Buffalo News, so clearly they are interested in him. I just dont think he'll be around when our pick comes up.

For our 3rd rounder, I'd like to see the Bills go after Tackles Wesley Britt or Michael Munoz...or Guards Evan Mathis or Logan Mankins.

Mathis is very interesting to me because he played the majority of his career at tackle, so there is another versatile O-Lineman for McNally to play with.

I'm also on the "draft OL with 2nd and 3rd round picks" bandwagon.  I'm seeing Bass being listed as a OC at some draft sites and OG at others.  Does he have experience at OC and can he step in and play the position from day one?

272365[/snapback]

Absolutely. IMO, he is the next Steve Hutchinson who can play C or G. I watched him several times last year and he dominates at the point and never lets anyone get through. Hart (a Syr guy BTW) ran for most of those yards behind Baas. Not sure why he isnt talked about as a sure fire 1st rounder. I think hes great and would start and play well at G day one. As for C, he may need some time to make the right line calls.

Baas would be the best option for us because he is amazingly versatile and dominant...sadly, his stock has been soaring lately and he'll easily be gone by our pick.  A shame too because I remember the Bills front office spending a lot of time with him at the Combine, according to the Buffalo News, so clearly they are interested in him.  I just dont think he'll be around when our pick comes up.

For our 3rd rounder, I'd like to see the Bills go after Tackles Wesley Britt or Michael Munoz...or Guards Evan Mathis or Logan Mankins. 

Mathis is very interesting to me because he played the majority of his career at tackle, so there is another versatile O-Lineman for McNally to play with.

272371[/snapback]

I think Munoz might go higher because of his last name .... The Bucs took Simms high because of his name

I really want the Bills to draft either Wilkerson or Spencer, depending on who grades the best in the weeks prior to the Draft since I really believe that both will be around for us when we pick at #55.  And our 3rd rounder should also be spent on O-Line...Guard...Tackle...whatever, as long as we get the best O-Lineman available in the 3rd.

272357[/snapback]

I hope you're not considering my mind as great. I'm sorry if you are.

Here's how I would rate the centers. I still have Baas as a guard, where he's the 2nd best player behind Elton Brown. Top centers:

Chris Spencer of Mississippi

Jason Brown of North Carolina

Ben Wilkerson of LSU (he'd be first were it not for the injuries)

Scott Mruczkowski of Bowling Green

Vince Carter of Oklahoma

Junius Coston of North Carolina A&T

Dylan Gandy of Texas Tech

Richie Incognito of Nebraska

Geoff Hangartner of Texas A&M

Jeb Paulsen of North Carolina State

I hope you're not considering my mind as great.  I'm sorry if you are.

Here's how I would rate the centers.  I still have Baas as a guard, where he's the 2nd best player behind Elton Brown.  Top centers:

Vince Carter of Oklahoma

272376[/snapback]

I'm a big Spencer fan, and if I remember correctly he's another O-Lineman who can play more than one position. I'd like him as our center obviously, but its always good to have versatility on the line. Its funny, because I hear some peoeple say that Spencer would be rated higher if he had more experience at center, but to me thats a positive since he dominated his one year at center so well, he can only get better at it.

Vince Carter of Oklahoma

272376[/snapback]

I know Incognito was injured(knee?) at the combine. Any word on how serious?

I know Incognito was injured(knee?) at the combine.  Any word on how serious?

272400[/snapback]

He had a negative MRI, but nobody knows to date how serious it is. He did look good at the combine though. Still, he has a laundry list of disciplinary problems, so I'd be wary of drafting him. Then again, it could be all in the past for him.

I was surprised at how well Rob Hunt of North Dakota State did. I had heard about him on Matt & Marty's site as a possible sleeper, but he blew people away at the combine. He could be one of the best centers in this draft now. The love affair w/Ben Wilkerson still puzzles me, as he has done NOTHING since his season-ending injury, and, to the best of my knowledge, LSU hasn't even scheduled a day for him to work out for scouts. He didn't participate in the combine. Spencer looked very good, as did Baas. I really hope we land a center from this crop of good choices.

I'm not too thrilled about Teague at LT.  I do like the idea of getting one of the top centers in the draft.  I wouldn't stop there, though.  I'd also go after a top notch guard prospect as well.  Depth AND talent is needed in the interior of our OL.

272346[/snapback]

Well if the Bills sign DeMulling they need to try to get Shelton here, whether that's through a trade involving Travis or just a pick in the draft, it needs to get done. I do not want Trey Teague as our LT this year. If we can get DeMulling and Shelton in here our line is solid.

RT- Mike Williams

RG- Chris V

C- Trey Teague

LG- Rick DeMulling

LT- LJ Shelton

That's a pretty solid line folks.

Then we can use the draft to upgrade the depth and possibly find some future starters.

272365[/snapback]

Move over, I jumping on.

Draft 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th. Get the best available O-linemen period.

If we sign.................

you can't say "I don't think our O-line is too bad" when you include that statement.

They way it stands right now, our O-line isn't going to cut it! JP will be running for his life!

Good thread and discussion here.

I'm sorry, but I have some cold water to throw around in here. First, bear in mind that, traditionally, the Bills devote only 9-10 roster spots for OL. What I'm counting here, if more FAs are signed that means someone currently in the group gets the red card in the locker on cut day. This kind of talk also implies that JM doesn't know how to do his job, which includes development as one of his fortes. I'm all for drafting a C high and possibly a G later and cut L. Smith. If a FA is signed, that wastes the input to either McFarland or Peters. But the one-track acquisition frenzy isn't the best mindset, played out in how TD is operating.

But the team also has a big hole on the line on the other side of the ball. Don't think this is going to be ignored. DT will also be a priority on day one if the right guy is there.

Good thread and discussion here.

I'm sorry, but I have some cold water to throw around in here. First, bear in mind that, traditionally, the Bills devote only 9-10 roster spots for OL. What I'm counting here, if more FAs are signed that means someone currently in the group gets the red card in the locker on cut day. This kind of talk also implies that JM doesn't know how to do his job, which includes development as one of his fortes. I'm all for drafting a C high and possibly a G later and cut L. Smith. If a FA is signed, that wastes the input to either McFarland or Peters. But the one-track acquisition frenzy isn't the best mindset, played out in how TD is operating.

But the team also has a big hole on the line on the other side of the ball. Don't think this is going to be ignored. DT will also be a priority on day one if the right guy is there.

272448[/snapback]

You make a good point about the DT issue. As for the OL, I've said numerous times we need depth and talent. There is no getting around that and they need to address it this offseason, whether through the draft, free agency, or both. So far, they've signed one interior OL who projects to be a backup. If we're hanging on the words of McNally, then we believe that they're also looking for an upgrade at center, since MnNally himself has talked of Teague being tried at LT (from what other posts have said). That only makes sense, because although Teague improved in terms of line calls and shotgun snaps, he still looked way overmatched against bigger DTs when pass blocking and did not get a good push in the running game. Drafting a guy like Chris Spencer of Ole Miss or Jason Brown of North Carolina, two guys who are very strong in the interior, could help in terms of stopping bigger DTs, which are becoming more prevalent in the NFL nowadays.

Getting back to DT. If they decide to look at the available free agents (even after the June cap cuts) or make a trade, I could see it. As for the draft, this draft is not very strong in DTs. There's a couple good ones and the rest are average at best. I would take a flyer on a prospect like Lynn McGruder of Oklahoma, who is gifted athletically but considered a bit of an underachiever, and I wouldn't do that until after the 3rd round.

The water wasn't so cold.