Do NFL Teams Have A Way To Measure What They Need To Know Most About QBs?

This is a genuine question and maybe nobody here knows. But here goes.

The hardest thing for teams nowadays is to basically just guess in most cases, if a guy can make NFL reads and adjustments. Once you get a certain amount of physical skill, it is the most important thing that will make or break a quarterback. You have to see a lot that is happening and do it very. very quickly. It is a visual spatial task that is different from being smart. 

Excerpt from Beane.

"But the one thing that people I think miss a little bit when they're watching, you know, the college game schematically has just been so dummied down that these guys know before the ball's snapped right where they're going. There's no progressions. There's no audibiling. That's the challenge that the college guys have, and it's brutal. And these quarterbacks that are getting drafted high that have never taken a snap from center, have never called an audible. That's tough. "

So I see all the combine stuff and interviews they do. And they Pro days and looking into character and  background. None of which tell you anything at all about if they can do that visual-spatial-magical task of reading the coverage and picking out the open guy in a second and a half.

So I wonder do they do anything at all to try and figure that out with some kind of tests? Does anybody knnow?

My guess is that they don't because I have never seen a word about it. But I wonder does anyone here know if they do or not?

Edited by BadLandsMeanie

Probably the closest is the wonderlic. I'm not sure that could even predict that magical quality. Plenty of guys have the physical talent, " arm talent" all those terms we throw around.  The thing that truly makes a QB great, that " processor" the internal clock. What is sometimes referred t as the " it " factor. It's really unidentifiable until you see it in real life, at NFL speed in games. It's how a Brady slips through the cracks. You just can't tell. Crazy as it's the most important trait, and cannot be developed. Many more don't have it than do. Rob Johnson, for example. Had everything else, but the processor was a second slow. That's fatal in the NFL. 

19 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

This is a genuine question and maybe nobody here knows. But here goes.

The hardest thing for teams nowadays is to basically just guess in most cases, if a guy can make NFL reads and adjustments. Once you get a certain amount of physical skill, it is the most important thing that will make or break a quarterback. You have to see a lot that is happening and do it very. very quickly. It is a visual spatial task that is different from being smart. 

Excerpt from Beane.

"But the one thing that people I think miss a little bit when they're watching, you know, the college game schematically has just been so dummied down that these guys know before the ball's snapped right where they're going. There's no progressions. There's no audibiling. That's the challenge that the college guys have, and it's brutal. And these quarterbacks that are getting drafted high that have never taken a snap from center, have never called an audible. That's tough. "

So I see all the combine stuff and interviews they do. And they Pro days and looking into character and  background. None of which tell you anything at all about if they can do that visual-spatial-magical task of reading the coverage and picking out the open guy in a second and a half.

So I wonder do they do anything at all to try and figure that out with some kind of tests? Does anybody knnow?

My guess is that they don't because I have never seen a word about it. But I wonder does anyone here know if they do or not?

If the college quarterback agrees to it you could give them subtests on actual cognitive tests (WJ-IV, WAIS-IV) that measure visual/spatial skills, processing speed, and the ability to learn and retain new information.  More importantly though is what Gruden does on TV and just quiz the heck out of them with game film.

Good question, Badlands.  I think the answer is, "No!"  You can look at film and check the Wonderlic score.  You can maybe sit down with a prospect in an extended interview that includes video, but there is no sure fire way to identify where a prospect is with respect to intangibles like reading defenses and progressions he's never been asked to read before.  Some college QBs have been asked to do some of that, but it is a distinct minority.   

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

If the college quarterback agrees to it you could give them subtests on actual cognitive tests (WJ-IV, WAIS-IV) that measure visual/spatial skills, processing speed, and the ability to learn and retain new information.  More importantly though is what Gruden does on TV and just quiz the heck out of them with game film.

Gruden loves Peterman.