Serious Josh Allen Question

Jesse

18 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Rivers sat behind Brees.

Yes, you can do it.

Okay, now Josh Allen is comparable to Philip Rivers coming out of college?? Not even close!!

12 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

The only players NFL ready are Rosen and Mayfield. One is 6 ft tall and a walk-on and one is 6'4" and a prodigy. The choice sees obvious. Anyone else you are taking a chance on 

Lamar Jackson. I bet he can come here and give Peterman and McCarron a run for their money. (Didn't mean run literally)

17 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

The kid was scrawny when he first entered college and grew into his bigger frame. Plus, he only played two years in College and his last year was on a very bad team. He played much better in the senior bowl with better coaching and a better surrounding cast.

I think it should take less than two years to develop him as an NFL starter. But wow, a possible Big Ben, Aaron Rodgers at the end of that development time.  

I think his development is more about his mechanics and defensive reads

I think he's going to be really good

12 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Okay, now Josh Allen is comparable to Philip Rivers coming out of college?? Not even close!!

Lamar Jackson. I bet he can come here and give Peterman and McCarron a run for their money. (Didn't mean run literally)

Did I ever say he was equivalent to Rivers?

Nope.

Not once.

You didn't even remember what YOU said that I responded to.

Here, I'll repost it for you:

1 hour ago, the skycap said:

Can't do this with top 10 pick!! They need to play immediately 

Which my response was that Rivers was drafted #4, and sat.

So, your assertion that a top10 needs to play immediately was what i was referring to.

6 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I think his development is more about his mechanics and defensive reads

I think he's going to be really good

My phrasing:  I think he has a good shot at being really good. I started out an Allen skeptic because I just thought he was being overrated based on his accomplishments. Now it seems the backlash is pretty extreme. This is turning into one of those "scouts vs. stats" Moneyball era debates in baseball. The scouts guys see (using baseball terms):  big frame, projectable, fastball sits at 95-97, occasionally hitting 100. Need to develop feel for his secondary pitches and continue to establish fastball command.  Projects as a #1 starter. The stats guys see:  uneven/erratic performances against less than elite competition. Elite stuff hasn't translated into elite strikeout numbers. BB rate remains too high.  May be better suited to a late relief role.  Meanwhile, Baker Mayfield is the stats favorite, but the scouts say, "smaller frame less projectable; stuff may not translate to higher levels."

And you know what? Nobody knows. I'm not gonna be that guy, the one who says Josh Allen is garbage and should be avoided at all costs. Some of these scout guys, they know what they're talking about ...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

It really boils down to WHY teams believe he’s inaccurate. Is it because he’s not coordinated enough I figure out where the receiver will be when his pass arrives? Or is it the messy footwork making it difficult to throw it with consistency? The latter is fixable. The former is not. 

The first thing that stood out in the video is the very bad footwork.  No doubt poor accuracy stems from it.  Can that even be fixed once someone has played with it for years?

2 hours ago, LA Grant said:

This.

The other thing is they're going to take a guy they know they can work with. I don't think that will be Josh Allen, but if it is, I have some faith they will know what they're doing.

I know Allen looks like EJ Manuel 2.0, and he probably will be exactly that... but in fairness to EJ, he was never considered a 1st round pick by anyone except Doug Whaley or Buddy Nix, whoever gets the credit/blame for that one. EJ wasn't the guy that Marrone & Hackett wanted. They took the job hoping for Ryan Fitzpatrick. They said that publicly in one of their interviews. 

If it is Allen, it will be because there's consensus with Beane & McDermott & Daboll... they've earned a degree of trust, I think.

ALSO

I've never heard of this guy — Kyle Pernick, I think? Can we draft him?? Looks like a more accurate Allen!

Kyle Pernick actually looks pretty good in the workout.  Can we get rid of PetermanPick5 and sign him 

• Like (+1) 1