Chris Brown Conveniently Forgets About Russ Brandon’s “Robust Analytics” Team

1 hour ago, GG said:

Beane didn't go into details on the exact work that Guilamo's team will do for them (for obvious reasons)

But this has been rehashed for years, and it's proven in other fields that analytics add another dimension to the decision making.  There's no reason it can't be applied to sports, whether it's personnel or game management.  We've had a front row seat of the massive gut-feel football failures.  Adding more analytical data certainly can't hurt.

Data (which comes from film review) has been collected and used for as long as gmaes have been put on film.  It's hard for me to figure how a guy who looked at Ctirix's sales number will give added insight to a coaching staff about what an opponent will most likely on 3rd and 6 on their own side of the field with under two minutes in a close game (for example.  My impression is that after hundreds of hours of film study, the coaching staff probably has a better idea than the data guy who doesn't understand the game of football.

Look, if they think it will help, they will pay for him.  It doesn't mean it has an actual positive effect. 

17 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

lyons1.jpg

Thank you for your service!

I also agree that football is the one discipline on earth for which data is not useful. 

All the data available should have told that guy not to go with the bowl cut....

32 minutes ago, simool said:

Data is useful in every discipline Jauronimo.  It is just a question of 1. Are you collecting the right data and 2. How you interpret that data.

Not true.  Football is too complicated for data and analysis.  Brain surgery, space travel, the stock market maybe, but NOT a game played by Neanderthals to satisfy the blood lust of simpletons. 

3 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Unbelievable that Brandon is still involved with our sports teams.  The main person responsible for the drought doesn't get canned when the new regime comes in but instead gets a promotion.  Now he is President of the Sabres too and at least in one instance was talking to Eichel after a game early in the season when Eichel was struggling.  That is just what we need.  Russ freaking Brandon, the ultimate jock sniffer questioning Eichel about why he might be struggling.  I can't think of anything that would make him want to run to Boston more when his contract is up than Brandon lurking over his shoulder.  Please Terry, do your fans a favor and ship this guy out of town.  It is last thing that needs to be done to erase the stench of the drought. 

Russ Brandon being involved with BOTH Buffalo professional sports organizations at the high level he is is truly the 8th wonder of the sports world: He must have compromising information or photos of the Pegulas, the Wilsons, and Jerry Sullivan. The fact that there is a flat our refusal to admit he still meddles baffles me: Why on earth would either organization entrust THIS guy with day to day decisions? EVER?

15 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

I disagree.  If the BN is writing a story about this, there’s at least one paragraph about the analytics team of the past.

I figured you disagree. You started the thread!