New SI article 3 NFL QB coaches on Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, Jackson & Darnold from the combine

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/03/06/nfl-combine-draft-notebook-results-quarterbacks

Baker:

“Baker threw it better than he did at the Senior Bowl,” said QB Coach A.

“I was pleasantly surprised with Baker,” QB Coach B told me. “The way the ball comes out of his hand was different than I thought it’d be. His arm was stronger. He was a little bigger than I thought he’d be. He seems to want to learn. He’s got a long ways to go. But I don’t think he’s a top-five pick.”

Rosen:

Rosen was the sharpest of all the quarterbacks Coach A met with at the combine in terms of how quickly he processed information and adapted to new terminology during one-on-one meetings: “He was very impressive. He knows football inside and out.” Coach B concurred: “It’s not close. He’s by far the most advanced.” Rosen’s showing on the field, though, also disappointed QB Coach B. "I think he started out nervous. I think tries to play it cool but you could tell he [was unsettled] when he dirted those two slants. I’ll be shocked if he’s not on point at his pro day.”

Allen:

“He was really erratic at the Senior Bowl,” said QB Coach A. “When he misses, he misses big, which results in interceptions. Reminded me of [Blaine] Gabbert in that regard. He was more consistent [in Indy], but it was a much smaller sample size. Still missed a couple that were way off.”

Said QB Coach B: “He has effortless power, a natural thrower of the football. You think it’ll kind of click for him at some point. He’s smooth and clean. There’s definitely something there.”

Darnold:

He was O.K. in our meeting with him,” said QB Coach C. “He wasn’t as far along as I thought he’d be.”

The coaches were also bothered that Darnold opted not to throw against the other quarterbacks. QB Coach B: “We’d heard that he was sore [from throwing too much in the lead-up to the Combine]. You’re supposed to be this competitor but then to say, ‘Aw, it was a decision that my team made.’ That didn’t sit well.”

Jackson:

I’m very intrigued,” said QB Coach C. “I liked him a lot. He’s just a playmaker and I think if you get him in the right situation, he could be a real asset because of those wheels. I actually thought his footwork in his drops [Saturday] was better than I expected.”

QB Coach B on Jackson: “I love the kid. We’re laughing and joking [in the meeting]. But he did not throw it well. He was very inconsistent. It didn’t come out of his hand well. He'll need to throw it a lot better at his pro day. I think he should’ve run the 40. Throw down a 4.4 to get the place to buzzin’.”

QB Coach A on Jackson: “He threw it better than I anticipated.”

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/7/2018 at 9:30 AM, smuvtalker said:

LOL @ Coach B re: Mayfield..

His arm was stronger....He was even bigger...He really wants to learn....

BUT I don't think he's a top 5 pick...

??

this is perfect iMO

Mayfield is the best QB in this draft IMO...  He checks the most boxes.. Much easier to move up to 6 - 10 than it is to move up to 1-5

• Like (+1) 1