Draft two QB's in round one?

BADOLBILZ

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

IMO controversies start with underdogs..........not two guys on even playing fields.........that's competition........and it's rare to not have one favorite in a QB battle........but the great thing about the picks being back to back you can say that one wasn't really chosen over the other.    Say "we flipped a coin". :thumbsup:    

I am not entirely averse to the idea of picking 2 QBs with our first rounders. In addition to the competitive aspect, say both of them are close, we can flip them for a high pick in 2-3 years time. 

16 minutes ago, 1st&ten said:

I remember a few years back one poster was so frustrated he wanted to draft QB's in rounds 1-5. He was serious too.

The question you have to ask is.........are there any Bills draft picks from that year still on the team?

Probably not.:lol:

Not so crazy when you look at it like that.

I'll say this too........when McD's defense works it's because guys are hustling and playing smart..........and those aren't really the primary things teams look for in round 1.

The Pats just went to a SB with 16 UDFA's on their 53 man roster...........and aside from Malcom Brown, Gilmore(FA) and Butler(a UDFA)......really their entire starting defense was castoffs and vets that wouldn't get much attention on the open market.......and despite a terrible SB there were a great scoring defense for the prior 3 months.

I like talent all over the field.........it's fun to plug in talent on paper..........but give me a QB and some dudes to throw to and a coach who can get his defense to exceed the sum of it's parts and I will roll with that.

14 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I am not entirely averse to the idea of picking 2 QBs with our first rounders. In addition to the competitive aspect, say both of them are close, we can flip them for a high pick in 2-3 years time. 

:thumbsup:

Not totally unprecedented either.

Jimmy Johnson picked Troy Aikman #1 overall then just months later took Steve Walsh #1 in the supplemental draft.   

Then after Aikman separated he flipped Walsh to the Saints for a #1.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

No.

I'm a big fan of taking a lot of shots at QB. But certainly not two in the first. 

It's like when you have a rose. Wanna develop the blossoms? You have to prune off the majority and keep doing so. The plant only has enough energy to truly support a few blossoms. One of those guys would turn into a long-term development prospect, a guy who wouldn't get enough reps to know what you had till three or four years down the road. And while you can do that with a lower pick, doing it with a #1 would be a poor use of resources.

On the other hand, using both those picks for a QB (by trading up) makes a ton of sense.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We might be able to get 2 more in the 2nd too depending on how it falls. 

Look, you do what you've gotta do to get the guy. Cut Tyrod, cut Peterman, here's our draft:

21: R1P21
QB MASON RUDOLPH
OKLAHOMA STATE
22: R1P22
QB LAMAR JACKSON
LOUISVILLE
53: R2P21
QB LUKE FALK
WASHINGTON STATE
56: R2P24
QB MIKE WHITE
WESTERN KENTUCKY
96: R3P32
QB KYLE LAULETTA JR.
RICHMOND
123: R4P21
QB RILEY FERGUSON
MEMPHIS
160: R5P21
QB LOGAN WOODSIDE
TOLEDO
168: R5P29
QB BRANDON SILVERS
TROY

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Look, you do what you've gotta do to get the guy. Cut Tyrod, cut Peterman, here's our draft:

QB MASON RUDOLPH
OKLAHOMA STATE
QB LAMAR JACKSON
LOUISVILLE
QB LUKE FALK
WASHINGTON STATE
QB MIKE WHITE
WESTERN KENTUCKY
QB KYLE LAULETTA JR.
RICHMOND
QB RILEY FERGUSON
MEMPHIS
QB LOGAN WOODSIDE
TOLEDO
QB BRANDON SILVERS
TROY

I don’t know how I feel about this draft. Woodside is a reach but I like being able to secure Rudolph and Jackson. If Silvers pans out it’s a great draft.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

QB MASON RUDOLPH
OKLAHOMA STATE
QB LAMAR JACKSON
LOUISVILLE
QB LUKE FALK
WASHINGTON STATE
QB MIKE WHITE
WESTERN KENTUCKY
QB KYLE LAULETTA JR.
RICHMOND
QB RILEY FERGUSON
MEMPHIS
QB LOGAN WOODSIDE
TOLEDO
QB BRANDON SILVERS
TROY

Where's the other 6th rounder that McBeane is going to get for Shaq Lawson?:devil: