If Darnold doesn’t go #1

Dkollidas

13 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I thought everyone is saying NYG want Rosen. I think Rosen fails in the NFL. I think if the Browns take Mayfield or Allen, then I see JR in NY.  Then you move earth & mountains with Indy to get Darnold. Darnold is the prize......always has been always will be.......

I dont think NYG are taking a QB.  I think they feel they can win now with the weapons coming back at WR and will look to add OL and RB help for Eli early.  I could be wrong, and certainly wouldn't be shocked if they took a QB, I just think the new regime sees enough there to get the team back on track before they start looking for a new future QB.  

And if Cle goes either Allen or Barkley #1, its now going to be very interesting to see what the NYG do because trading down there could be very enticing to get more draft assets if they dont plan to go QB.  I could see the Jets looking to leap the Broncos (or us or AZ too) to grab their guy assuming they haven't signed Cousins.  

My first 4 picks mock:

1. Cle - Barkely
  2. Jets (NYG trade down to 6) - Rosen
  3. Indy - Chubb
  4. Cle - Allen
  5. Broncos (signed Cousins)

Leaves Darnold and Baker there at #5 for a potential trade with Broncos for Bills or AZ.  Giants could still get a QB at 6 if they wanted, but I think they still go another direction and possibly even trade down again with Bills or AZ there.  

Arians loves Lamar and thinks the kid is special...so I think its not out of the question that AZ may share those feelings about Lamar and may see him as someone they can stay pat for and take without having to trade up.  Especially if he has a big offseason.

This is such a fun draft year, so many possibilities!!!  Impossible to predict!  There are also teams like Miami, Chargers, and even Washington that could see value in a slipping QB and draft a future guy (or in Miami's case, someone they feel is better than their own guy).  Not to mention as QB's start to slip, I could see Jax getting into a trade up scenario.

Edited by Alphadawg7

52 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I thought everyone is saying NYG want Rosen. I think Rosen fails in the NFL. I think if the Browns take Mayfield or Allen, then I see JR in NY.  Then you move earth & mountains with Indy to get Darnold. Darnold is the prize......always has been always will be.......

Not doubting you at all on Darnold.  Would love to have him.  Realistically, what would it take for us to get the #1 pick, to guarantee you get Darnold?  If the Bills brass really believes Darnold is the top QB in the draft, and a franchise type QB, I would think they go after him with everything.  I would think we could offer:

1st round pick 21.

1st round pick 22.

3rd round pick.

Cordy Glenn.  (Cleveland could then trade Joe Thomas for a pick, which I've seen rumored).

Tyrod Taylor.

Is that enough to get the #1 pick?  Is that giving them more than enough?

This years draft class is supposedly one of the very best in years for QBs. So why in the world would any of the top10 teams that need a QB or will very shortly need a QB not take one of the top four?

The NY Giants? How often can they expect to have a shot at one of the top two QBs in a draft without needing to give up the farm to get one? They would have to be seriously stupid to not select a QB in this year's draft. 

You can take it to the bank that the Browns, Giants, Jets, Broncos will all take a QB in this year's draft unless of course one of them signs Kirk Cousins. Shoot, both the Colts and Dolphins had serious injuries to their QB and should they want to go in a different direction then they also might go after a QB if one is still there that they like. There are possibly six QB that could be taken in the first round this year. Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, Rudolph, Jackson all could go in the first this year. 

On another note, let's revisit the 2012 NFL draft.

The Colts took Andrew Luck #1 overall.

For the #2 pick overall, the Redskins gave up three #1s, (a 2012 #1 pick), (a 2013 #1 pick), (a 2014 #1 pick), and a #2 in 2012 all for RG3 to the Rams :o

Miami took Ryan Tannehill with the #8 pick 

Cleveland took QB Brandon Weeden with the #22 pick :sick:

Denver took Brock Osweiler with the #57 pick, second round. :lol:

Seattle took Russell Wilson with the #75 pick, third round. (Buffalo traded up to take TJ Graham under Nix with the 69th pick) 

Philadelphia took Nick Foles with the 88th pick, third round.

Washington took Kirk Cousins with the 102 pick in the fourth round. 

Arizona took Ryan Lindley with the 185 pick in the sixth round.

Green Bay took BJ Coleman with the 243 pick in the seventh round.

Indianapolis took Chandler Harnish 253 pick in the seventh round ( Mr. Irrelevant) 

Washington thought they couldn't go wrong with RG3 with all the hype he had as an even better prospect than Luck by some scouts. That Heisman trophy winning running QB never evolved into an elite pocket franchise QB. This is probably what Buffalo could face in trading up with the 21st, 22nd picks to the #2 spot this year if Darnold isn't taken #1 overall.