Time to rebuild

On 2/6/2018 at 9:33 AM, Chuck Wagon said:

I'd argue we've never honestly tried to rebuild.  Over the last 20 years we've rarely been in a position to draft top 5, never 1, and the times we have we never took a QB.  The only QBs we've drafted highly were in the middle/end of the 1st round (EJ / Losman) and even then everyone knew it was a reach taking them.  We've rarely traded veteran players for draft picks, instead either letting them walk in FA in their primes (and then drafting a replacement) or holding onto them until it was clear they had very little left.  Most of the teams over the last 20 years have been the same, good enough to be assured of 6 wins, bad enough to never win more than 9 games, ie never bad enough to completely turn off fans but never good enough to give legitimate hope of anything more than a token playoff appearance.  

....realistically, look at the FO/Administration over the last 20 years post Polian after Littman's hissy fit got him fired...RW goes to the other extreme to atone and hires Donohole who insisted on being named "El Presidente", first in club history, fitting for his egotistical/control freak nature....worked wonders.....next up as a patchwork FO/Admin consisting of people promoted to positions NOT qualified for or people well beyond their prime, all because of the "trust" factor.....a dark, dismal loss of 20 years IMO.....I still think this gang is dramatically different (on paper so far).....McBeane assembled a staff consisting of many former VP's of Player Personnel or Personnel Directors and already one has been hired away and another awaits a 2nd interview...unfortunate?.....yes?.....an indicator that McBeane hired quality personnel (on Pegula's nickel) when other clubs come poaching already?...yes again IMO.....remember McBeane was hired POST 2017 draft.......so much is to be learned with the upcoming 2018 draft, McBeane's staff and McD/McBeane working in tandem....stay tuned..............

Cities have personalities and one trait of Buffalo is magical bullet thinking.  If only bass pro would move into downtown then buffalo would be reborn.  Heh.  I never understood that one whatsoever.  Wtf was that?  Downtown is doing a lot better now that we left those ideas of some single, monolithic gamble righting the ship and instead our planners diversified and did the needful.  

The sabres are another example.  The magic bullet is not bad but a bullet alone was not going to do it.

In short, I do not want to see the Bills give away the draft for a hope that the QB they draft in the top 10 picks is the magic bullet.  How many QBs drafted in the top 10 over that past 25 years have gone on to do not much of anything?  What are the odds of that magic bullet working out better than the sum of all those picks we left on the table?  It's a bad gamble born by wishful thinking.  

2 minutes ago, sleeby said:

Cities have personalities and one trait of Buffalo is magical bullet thinking.  If only bass pro would move into downtown then buffalo would be reborn.  Heh.  I never understood that one whatsoever.  Wtf was that?  Downtown is doing a lot better now that we left those ideas of some single, monolithic gamble righting the ship and instead our planners diversified and did the needful.  

The sabres are another example.  The magic bullet is not bad but a bullet alone was not going to do it.

In short, I do not want to see the Bills give away the draft for a hope that the QB they draft in the top 10 picks is the magic bullet.  How many QBs drafted in the top 10 over that past 25 years have gone on to do not much of anything?  What are the odds of that magic bullet working out better than the sum of all those picks we left on the table?  It's a bad gamble born by wishful thinking.  

Because why try what we never do? That’s worked out well, eh?

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Because why try what we never do? That’s worked out well, eh?

Because we can instead learn through other's mistakes.   Why go all in on a top 3 QB and stick him with our O line and WRs?  

I could buy a $400 driver but I would still suck at golf as my irons, chip shots and putting is all either mediocre else crap.

1 minute ago, sleeby said:

Because we can instead learn through other's mistakes.   Why go all in on a top 3 QB and stick him with our O line and WRs?  

I could buy a $400 driver but I would still suck at golf as my irons, chip shots and putting is all either mediocre else crap.

Can we win 10+ games consistently with the QBs on the roster today?

6 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Can we win 10+ games consistently with the QBs on the roster today?

Can the sabres make .500 with their one great player?  The bills will not be great, or even perennially very good, with a stud QB and so many other holes left exposed.  Colts for example.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, sleeby said:

Can the sabres make .500 with their one great player?  The bills will not be great, or even perennially very good, with a stud QB and so many other holes left exposed.  Colts for example.

Or the Packers.

It works both ways.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Or the Packers.

It works both ways.

True.  It's a gamble.  Just that it's a very big gamble on one guy for us.  It's been a very long time as we all know.  Let's not pull a homer Simpson bet and gamble everything on the singular chance to win huge else ruin Christmas (where they get the race dog pet from). 

Let's spread those picks and get a QB at 21 and, hopefully, several other starters as well.  2018 is not our year either way.  Grab another QB next year as well.  Or get cousins.  Just let's not go all in on the roulette wheel. 

This is buffalo - our luck has not always favored us after all.  I just mean that, if we sell the farm for a top 3 QB this year and it's a bust then we probably set ourselves back a couple of years relative to had we been more careful here.

I mean, hopefully 'The Process' isn't "put it all on red 13."

3 minutes ago, sleeby said:

True.  It's a gamble.  Just that it's a very big gamble on one guy for us.  It's been a very long time as we all know.  Let's not pull a homer Simpson bet and gamble everything on the singular chance to win huge else ruin Christmas (where they get the race dog pet from). 

Let's spread those picks and get a QB at 21 and, hopefully, several other starters as well.  2018 is not our year either way.  Grab another QB next year as well.  Or get cousins.  Just let's not go all in on the roulette wheel. 

This is buffalo - our luck has not always favored us after all.  I just mean that, if we sell the farm for a top 3 QB this year and it's a bust then we probably set ourselves back a couple of years relative to had we been more careful here.

I mean, hopefully 'The Process' isn't "put it all on red 13."

They HAVE to land a QB this year, and not some round 4 scrub. It's not optional, it's not something we can pass on. It's critical to the long-term success of the team, and it HAS to be addressed this year by any means necessary. They simply can not punt on the position any more.