Bills Arrive Air Cargo Center ETA 12:30am TONIGHT

Fadingpain

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

A 747 holds like 350 passengers, right? How many do the Bills travel with? Is the upstairs lounge used as a film room?

It's some rule where REPEATED landings aren't allowed. I think the plane was under a weight limit as well. They used to land DC-10's back in the 1970s at BUF, I don't see why a 747 couldn't handle it. It's runway length more than anything. 

26 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

It's some rule where REPEATED landings aren't allowed. I think the plane was under a weight limit as well. They used to land DC-10's back in the 1970s at BUF, I don't see why a 747 couldn't handle it. It's runway length more than anything. 

You guys need to stop guessing on this.

There are two things that determine suitability for an airport to be able to handle an airplane.

One is runway length, which is much more limiting regarding takeoff than landing.

In other words, in an airport's runways can handle the takeoff, they can surely handle a landing.

The other is the landing gear "footprint" weight.

How much weight can the existing runway, taxiways and ramp handle per tire.

BUF has no real problem handling a 747.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

A 747 holds like 350 passengers, right? How many do the Bills travel with? Is the upstairs lounge used as a film room?

Delta's 747 has 48 Business Class seats and another 42 Economy with the extra legroom, I believe they're on the upper deck.  After that, you go into economy, and if you want to sleep, find a middle row, raise the armrests, and stretch out.  It's only a little over 2hrs to BUF, so how much sleep time would you need?

Terry seems to favor 747's which is too bad because most of them are now gone from the USA.

34 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

BUF has 8800+ on 5-23.  Runway length is not an issue for 747's.

20 minutes ago, sherpa said:

You guys need to stop guessing on this.

There are two things that determine suitability for an airport to be able to handle an airplane.

One is runway length, which is much more limiting regarding takeoff than landing.

In other words, in an airport's runways can handle the takeoff, they can surely handle a landing.

The other is the landing gear "footprint" weight.

How much weight can the existing runway, taxiways and ramp handle per tire.

BUF has no real problem handling a 747.

That's what I meant in my post. Didn't know the bit about the gear weight, though. Thanks. 

17 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Terry seems to favor 747's which is too bad because most of them are now gone from the USA.

BUF has 8800+ on 5-23.  Runway length is not an issue for 747's.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Like I said, if they could handle DC-10's back in the day (before 5-23 was extended, I think), they should have had no issues with a 747. They brought an A340 a couple years ago for the London trip too. That's big iron. 

No worries.

BUF can handle any modern wide body airliner.

The issue has been demand, since it's not a big market.

Along those lines, it's quite easy to predict touchdown times, if you know the math.

That's why, in the other thread, prior to the Bills boarding the bus, I predicted 12:30am.

I'm not into that stuff, but I figured that there might be some New Year's party folks planning to greet them, and it was after somebody else posted a ridiculous ETA.

If you believed my post, made about 8:50, before they were on the bus to FLL, you nailed it.