I watched all of the Lord of the Rings movies

there was one main character...the guy who was actually a normal man.

i don't think i ever caught what his name was in nearly 10 hours of the three movies.

another thing i never heard....what were those creepy looking enemy monsters called?  the ones with really bad dental hygene? 

these movies were so unsorted with so little consistancy.... are you supposed to have to watch them twice to understand them?

266434[/snapback]

I realize that an epic like LOTR might be too complicated for you simple people. Personally, I loved all three movies and consider them the best movies ever made.

To answer your questions, I assume you are referring to Aragon as the "man" throughout the movie. And the foul looking creatures are Orcs (smaller) and Uruk-hai (larger).

BTW: How are the movies inconsistant? Did you watch them in the wrong order?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I loved all three movies and consider them the best movies ever made.

266535[/snapback]

That's really sad. Like some of the older posters might say "They made movies before 1998".

No, I haven't seen the LOTR movies, but there is NO way a movie whose biggest selling point is it's special effects beats out this, a classic, a pure masterpiece:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068646/

That's really sad. Like some of the older posters might say "They made movies before 1998".

No, I haven't seen the LOTR movies, but there is NO way a movie whose biggest selling point is it's special effects beats out this, a classic, a pure masterpiece:

266550[/snapback]

LOTR isn't about special effects. Of course there are some great effects in the movie but if you think LOTR is just about the effects, then you are sadly mistaken.

Don't get me wrong, Godfather was a great movie, but IMO nothing holds up to the LOTR Trilogy.

But that's just me and you know I love soccer too. :D

266550[/snapback]

If you take all three movies as one giant epic (which, in reality, it is), I'd say that LotR is a better movie than Godfather. It all depends on perspective though and on what you're rating.

I'm not sure what I'd personally rank as "the best movie ever" (I don't know that it's even possible), but LotR is definately up there for more than just the special effects.

CW

266550[/snapback]

Wow, for the first time ever on this site I actually agree with something stevestojan has posted.

LOTR better than The Godfather or Apocalypse Now???? :D:w00t::doh:

266550[/snapback]

Steve, come on now. LOTR is not about the special effects. That is not what made the movies great. What made them great was the ability of Peter Jackson to capture the innovative and creative story Tolkein told while being able to depict the world Tolkein imagined. The movies are fantastic.

However, I will not agree that the LOTR movies were the best movies ever made. That honor goes to "Joe Dirt."

I would suggest that people read The Hobbit before watching the trilogy. That is much more accesible, and sets up the trilogy well. It's also a pretty quick read.

I think the books AND the movies are amazing. Of course I love to read and have read the trilogy 6 or 8 times.

There's more to LOTR than just being entertained with special effects, although that is really cool. The story itself is excellent. Tolkien actually invented his own friggin LANGUAGE for the Elves, with grammar and everything. You can actually learn to speak this language. Pretty friggin amazing, IMHO.

I hate to sound like a snob, but if what you want to get out of a movie is to be entertained by explosions, go rent Die Hard or something. LOTR will make you think. If you don't like to think, don't bother.

I hate to sound like a snob, but if what you want to get out of a movie is to be entertained by explosions, go rent Die Hard or something. LOTR will make you think. If you don't like to think, don't bother.

266582[/snapback]

Not an action fan myself, personally one of my favorites in Memento - so I love movies that make you think. Maybe sometime soon I'll have 9+ hours to kill, but it just doesn't seem like a genre I'm at ALL interested in...

Not an action fan myself, personally one of my favorites in Memento - so I love movies that make you think. Maybe sometime soon I'll have 9+ hours to kill, but it just doesn't seem like a genre I'm at ALL interested in...

266587[/snapback]

Well, it certainly isn't for everybody. If you're into computers and stuff the giant linux cluster they used to render all the battle scenes is pretty wild. But I'm a geek.

266587[/snapback]

Memento rules. Great film.

A girl at work lent me one of them. It's been sitting on my desk for about 3 weeks. Why? Its 179 minutes long! 3 hours? A movie that long better come with a "happy ending" if I'm gonna watch it...

So you can't spend a few hours watching it but you can spend a bunch of time on a message board ripping it without even having seen it?

I bet if John Stamos was in it and it was 23 minutes long, you'd be rubbin' one out. :D

So you can't spend a few hours watching it but you can spend a bunch of time on a message board ripping it without even having seen it?

I bet if John Stamos was in it and it was 23 minutes long, you'd be rubbin' one out.  :D

266717[/snapback]

Oh that's good...

LOTR is a great trilogy! But the ttile of best film ever is going to be disputed forever. That could be its own thread. You have to mention Godfather, Star Wars, Reservoir Dogs, Wizard of Oz, Casablanca, Joe Dirt, Swingers, and yes, even Titanic. You can argue it forever, so just appreciate it for what it is, and place it in the upper echelon of movies.

Oh that's good...

LOTR is a great trilogy! But the ttile of best film ever is going to be disputed forever. That could be its own thread. You have to mention Godfather, Star Wars, Reservoir Dogs, Wizard of Oz, Casablanca, Joe Dirt, Swingers, and yes, even Titanic. You can argue it forever, so just appreciate it for what it is, and place it in the upper echelon of movies.

266730[/snapback]

Swingers! One of the greatest flicks ever.......truly a great film. Damn you, Puhonix!

Actually, I think you can count me among the few(?) who were disappointed (although only moderately) in the movies. I think the problem is that the trilogy is SOOO big/long, that even in a 9+ hour movie, it can't fully cover the story. That said, if you take the movies by themselves, ignoring the fact that they're based on books, I could see how people could say that they're confusing. There's a lot going on.

That said, I personally preferred story of The Hobbit to the LOTR & am looking forward to when/if Jackson makes it/them.

Swingers!  One of the greatest flicks ever.......truly a great film. Damn you, Puhonix!

266758[/snapback]

You know ajzepp, you're money baby, you're money and you don't even know it.

Though my Fav line is:"We'll be up five-hunny by midnight."

Ahh, must see that tonight. I never bought the special edition DVD, anyone know if it's any good?

Ahh, must see that tonight. I never bought the special edition DVD, anyone know if it's any good?

266763[/snapback]

it has been years since i saw this movie...but my favorite scene is when the guy is on the phone leaving a message for the girl and he keeps running out of message space.....finally she picks up and says, "don't ever call me again".

it has been years since i saw this movie...but my favorite scene is when the guy is on the phone leaving a message for the girl and he keeps running out of message space.....finally she picks up and says, "don't ever call me again".

266768[/snapback]

See, that wasnt funny, that was painful. ouch....

266763[/snapback]

Damn, now I'm gonna have to pick it up again too..........lol

You know, tell me if you agree or not.......but if there was ever a film that was a true "man" test, this would have to be the film. If you're a guy who sits down with this film and either can't relate to it, or can't understand its genius, then you are nothing but a girly man.

Hey, Puhonix.....it's been two days.....you should call that girl.....