AJ Smith extended through 2009

Even though he left on less than perfect terms, congratulations AJ!

I met AJ once at a St. Francis HS game & he seems like a really nice guy. My friend who teaches there had a minor heart attack a couple of years ago & one of the 1st get well messages that he got was in an envelope with the San Diego Chargers return address-It was from AJ Smith.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2007332

I met AJ once at a St. Francis HS game & he seems like a really nice guy.  My friend who teaches there had a minor heart attack a couple of years ago & one of the 1st get well messages that he got was in an envelope with the San Diego Chargers return address-It was from AJ Smith.

266060[/snapback]

Unfortunately, he is having some success. Smith went out of his way to torch Ralph after he and Butler "bolted". For what? Wanting to win? Calling his GM every day? No question whatsoever that he and Butler had the Chargers jobs lined up way ahead of time, and that burns myass. Then to have to listen to that arrogant prik Smith tooting his horn coming into the playoffs, I was actually glad to see the JETS bounce that jagoff.

Unfortunately, he is having some success.  Smith went out of his way to torch Ralph after he and Butler "bolted".  For what?  Wanting to win?  Calling his GM every day?  No question whatsoever that he and Butler had the Chargers jobs lined up way ahead of time, and that burns myass.  Then to have to listen to that arrogant prik Smith tooting his horn coming into the playoffs, I was actually glad to see the JETS bounce that jagoff.

266067[/snapback]

Well, I am sure that there are two sides to every story. Ralph was less than respectful of Butler and Smith at times as well...all is well that ends well. I am glad to see AJ do well in San Diego, even though he is the one often given the mosty credit for bringing the magic mullet back into the NFL fold! Smith and Butler served the Bills well over the years!

I met AJ once at a St. Francis HS game & he seems like a really nice guy.  My friend who teaches there had a minor heart attack a couple of years ago & one of the 1st get well messages that he got was in an envelope with the San Diego Chargers return address-It was from AJ Smith.

266060[/snapback]

i'm a big fan of a.j. good for him!

Unfortunately, he is having some success.  Smith went out of his way to torch Ralph after he and Butler "bolted".  For what?  Wanting to win?  Calling his GM every day?  No question whatsoever that he and Butler had the Chargers jobs lined up way ahead of time, and that burns myass.  Then to have to listen to that arrogant prik Smith tooting his horn coming into the playoffs, I was actually glad to see the JETS bounce that jagoff.

266067[/snapback]

badol, i agree with you about 95% of the time, but you're letting your loathing of butler/aj cloud your judgment. look, i'm a booster of ralph, but never forget how ralph's background (essentially a spoiled rich kid who never had to work a day in his life for something that wasn't inherited) and how he operated the team from about 1970 up through the mid 1980s. the whole rich stadium deal was really, really ugly(circa 1972 thru the late 1970s), as you may know ...

as for butler, gimme a break. he didn't want to stay, and he left for big, big money that ralph never would have payed him. he fulfilled his contractual duties with the bills and did the best he could while he was here (regardless of what you think of his performance).

I met A.J. in Hawaii when he was our director of pro personell. I thought he was pretty cool. He used to send me a bunch of media stuff every year no matter where I was stationed. Took time out of his schedule to help out a young fan in the Marines. Thanks A.J. and congrats.