Pardon my ignorance, but...

Matt JOnes will never be an NFL QB. If you draft him as a TE, you are drafting for potential only. That's not the first time a player has been drafted with the notion of having him switch positions. Some teams have successfully done it, but that there is a risk is undeniable.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerpro.../mattjones.html

Matt Jones

Official Bio College: Arkansas Height: 6-61/4

Position: Wide Receiver Weight: 242

Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.39

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Has amazing athletic ability...Very good size...Has a lot of potential and showed he has the ability to make the move to wideout in Mobile at the Senior Bowl...Very tough...Appeared to have good hands...Fiery player with a great competitive spirit.

Weaknesses: Very raw and has never played a position other than quarterback...Will need a lot of work and development...May lack a killer instinct and be too laid back...Is he truly dedicated to the game of football or was basketball his true love?

Notes: Was also a top high school basketball player and saw some time on the court with the Razorbacks...Could also project to quarterback or tight end in the pros...Interesting prospect who really doesn't have a clear position.

- Scott Wright

As a QB or WR?  I heard he looked bad as a QB and had trouble as a WR.  But as a TE he's got a lot of potential and a decent set of hands, among other things.

266026[/snapback]

The NFL Network did a profile during the combine and they were gushing all over his receiving skills - they showed iso's of him at the Senior Bowl practices schooling the top corners. He's big and he's fast and it was the first time he played wideout. Now admittedly, it was only a few plays they showed but for not having ANY experience, this guy has the look of a big, speedy H-back with decent hands.

In college I thought he was a decent QB but it was amazing to see him outrunning DBs when he scrambled. A 6-6, 240 guy running a 4.4 - sheesh, that's Moss-like. Given that his measurables are freakish, it really is too bad that he wasn't asked to play wideout in college.

I think he's jumped into the late 2nd or early 3rd round with his potential. If we didn't already have needs at tackle and kicker, I'd seriously consider him with our 3rd. But TD's somewhat of a riverboat gambler, so you never know ...

p.s. Did I mention he looks like a fast tall Jeremy Shockey?

The NFL Network did a profile during the combine and they were gushing all over his receiving skills - they showed iso's of him at the Senior Bowl practices schooling the top corners.  He's big and he's fast and it was the first time he played wideout.  Now admittedly, it was only a few plays they showed but for not having ANY experience, this guy has the look of a big, speedy H-back with decent hands. 

In college I thought he was a decent QB but it was amazing to see him outrunning DBs when he scrambled.  A 6-6, 240 guy running a 4.4 - sheesh, that's Moss-like.  Given that his measurables are freakish, it really is too bad that he wasn't asked to play wideout in college.

I think he's jumped into the late 2nd or early 3rd round with his potential.  If we didn't already have needs at tackle and kicker, I'd seriously consider him with our 3rd.  But TD's somewhat of a riverboat gambler, so you never know ...

p.s.  Did I mention he looks like a fast tall Jeremy Shockey?

I'd take him in a second with the Bills' 1st pick (2nd rounder). Then maybe trade-up in the 3rd to land Nuge. Tackle can be had later in the draft, since I'd rather it were filled in FA.

http://www.hogcall.com/funstuff/

Scroll down and hit Matt Jones at the combine to see a catch that will amaze you.

266108[/snapback]

Nice link, also worth it to check out the other videos also. One shows how much of a mismatch he is against DB's, and the other shows his speed on a QB draw for a long TD, that was great.

He's definitely be a great value with our 2nd rounder if he's there.

Guest BackInDaDay
Matt Jones 

Official Bio College: Arkansas  Height: 6-61/4

Position: Wide Receiver Weight: 242 

Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.39

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Has amazing athletic ability...Very good size...Has a lot of potential and showed he has the ability to make the move to wideout in Mobile at the Senior Bowl...Very tough...Appeared to have good hands...Fiery player with a great competitive spirit.

Weaknesses: Very raw and has never played a position other than quarterback...Will need a lot of work and development...May lack a killer instinct and be too laid back...Is he truly dedicated to the game of football or was basketball his true love?

Notes: Was also a top high school basketball player and saw some time on the court with the Razorbacks...Could also project to quarterback or tight end in the pros...Interesting prospect who really doesn't have a clear position.

- Scott Wright

Gil Brandt helped revolutionize scouting when he worked for Tex Schramm's Dallas Cowboys back in the 60's. As Director of Player Personnel, he enlisted the help of a big 'ol IBM mainframe to digest all of the vital statistics of the upcoming graduating class. So coming from him, this really counts for something..

"I wish I could stick a needle in a boy's arm to measure desire."

The biggest worry mentioned about Jones is the "Is he truly dedicated to the game of football" question. He has size, speed and he's an athlete (saw the clip of him outjumping the CB for the ball in a fade route), but how much does he want it? If he commits himself to the game, some NFL team will make sure he receives the coaching necessary to develop into a very good offensive TE.