DEADWOOD (2nd Season)

I too waited to read this thread because I Tivo'ed it from Sun and watched it last nite. What a great fight between Al and Bullock! I think the acting on this show is top-notch and can't wait to see it week to week. IMO it is one of the best shows on right now. I dont watch too much tv, but this is a definate cant miss!

(ps what was up with Alma's hairy armpits, but beautifully manicured legs?)

The show is all about language and I don't mean just the cursing.  They actually speak very formally as compared to how we speak.  They speak like aristocrats for half a sentence and then like drunken sailors for the last half.  Did you notice how Bullock and the widow address each other as Mr. and Mrs. so-and-so even though they are doing the nasty so much Al is complaining that Bullock is not doing his job as Sheriff?  The language more than anything draws you into the show.  They often speak in long, complex sentences with unecessary flourishes and tangents that force you to listen closely.  Just when you have picked up the tune they drop in a string of combinational cursing that is foreign yet immediately recognizable that knocks you back on your heels.

265339[/snapback]

Absolutely. This is what I try to tell my wife, but she can't seem to get past all the cursing. The writers for this show should be winning awards, it's the best show on TV.

Absolutely.  This is what I try to tell my wife, but she can't seem to get past all the cursing.  The writers for this show should be winning awards, it's the best show on TV.

266278[/snapback]

Said the same to my wife and she just walked away. She cant stand the language. I told her that the language makes the show!

Yes, Deadwood is an awesome series. I really got hooked last year and this first episode didn't disappoint except that it wasn't long enough. : )

Speaking of another HBO series. Does anyone watch Carnivale?

I was wondering if this year is the last season of Carnivale and did anyone watch it after Deadwood?

Jonsey and the tar-n-feathering he got? I never thought about it before, but if the tar was boiling hot, that would have been extremely painful...

Al Swearengen made comments about and exhibited symptoms that lead me to believe he is suffering from a serious physical ailment, possibly kidney stones. Given he faces threats and rules his empire with a strong physical presence/threat of violence, and the fact that 1876 medicine is cruder and sanitary conditions are no where to be found, his illness and whatever subsequent treatment are going to be a major force in the direction of the plot.

Al Swearengen made comments about and exhibited symptoms that lead me to believe he is suffering from a serious physical ailment, possibly kidney stones. Given he faces threats and rules his empire with a strong physical presence/threat of violence, and the fact that 1876 medicine is cruder and sanitary conditions are no where to be found, his illness and whatever subsequent treatment are going to be a major force in the direction of the plot.

266593[/snapback]

Agreed...every time he winced (before the fight) it was while he was pissing and/or he poked in his kidney area.

Should be interesting. I actually just started watching this series last week...watched the entire season 1 during my days off on HBO On Demand. Needless to say, I'm hooked.

Agreed...every time he winced (before the fight) it was while he was pissing and/or he poked in his kidney area.

Should be interested.  I actually just started watching this series last week...watched the entire season 1 during my days off on HBO On Demand.  Needless to say, I'm hooked.

266597[/snapback]

Looks to me like Al has syphillus.

Al is one of the best characters on TV.

Deadwood is great.

Anyone catch the first episode of the second season.  Holy Crap,

that sure started off with a bang.  IMO the best show on TV right

now!

265199[/snapback]

definitely the best show on TV

Yes, Deadwood is an awesome series.  I really got hooked last year and this first episode didn't disappoint except that it wasn't long enough. : )

Speaking of another HBO series. Does anyone watch Carnivale?

I was wondering if this year is the last season of Carnivale and did anyone watch it after Deadwood?

Jonsey and the tar-n-feathering he got?  I never thought about it before, but if the tar was boiling hot, that would have been extremely painful...

266552[/snapback]

I have tried VERY hard to watch Carnivale but just can't. I love the dark mood and the mystery with the gypsy/fortune teller/taro card ...whatever she is! The writing is just great, but it's kind of like watching paint dry. You find yourself glancing at a clock, at least I do.

Jeff

I have tried VERY hard to watch Carnivale but just can't. I love the dark mood and the mystery with the gypsy/fortune teller/taro card ...whatever she is! The writing is just great, but it's kind of like watching paint dry. You find yourself glancing at a clock, at least I do.

Jeff

266956[/snapback]

I really like Carnivale, but one of the things that disappoints me a bit is the fact that everything in the plot is leading toward a final conflict, yet it is taking absolutely forever to reach it.

Obviously, the writers don't want us to reach the end game too quickly or the series ends too fast, but there are just too many episodes where the plot gets us nowhere closer to that final conflict and I'm left thinking the episode, while entertaining, was just "filler" to extend the series longer.