Insider Bush story...

My brother, who was credentialled at both the conventions, just returned from the RNC and told this story that was going around there.

Apparently, George Bush returned to his Crawford ranch recently carrying two good-sized pigs, one under each arm. A Secret Service Man assigned to the ranch politely said, "Nice pigs, sir." Bush smiled and told the agent, "These are no ordinary pigs. These are prize-winning, purebred, razorback hogs. I got one for Donald Rumsfeld, and one for Dick Cheney."

"Good trade, sir." The Secret Serviceman said.

My brother, who was credentialled at both the conventions, just returned from the RNC and told this story that was going around there.

Apparently, George Bush returned to his Crawford ranch recently carrying two good-sized pigs, one under each arm. A Secret Service Man assigned to the ranch politely said, "Nice pigs, sir." Bush smiled and told the agent, "These are no ordinary pigs. These are prize-winning, purebred, razorback hogs. I got one for Donald Rumsfeld, and one for Dick Cheney."

"Good trade, sir." The Secret Serviceman said.

19842[/snapback]

:(

:(

Just so I'm clear...is your brother saying that was a joke going around, or that it was being repeated as something that actually happened?

Either way, it doesn't make it any less funny...  :flirt:  :)  :)

19967[/snapback]

He heard it there as a joke going around. One interesting thing that he did tell me was that each of the major media outlets had a skybox at the venues, the Fleet Center and MSG. None other than Al Jazeera had their own skybox, but the Dems didnt allow Al Jazeera to cover it live at the convention, and the Republicans did. I don't know what that means, if anything, and he didn't either. I just thought it was interesting that the governing body in charge of these things gave press credentials and a skybox to Al Jazeera.

I just thought it was interesting that the governing body in charge of these things gave press credentials and a skybox to Al Jazeera.

20244[/snapback]

You don't happen to know who that governing body is, or how that's decided, do you? I've always just assumed it was the convention organizers who decided such things...

You don't happen to know who that governing body is, or how that's decided, do you?  I've always just assumed it was the convention organizers who decided such things...

20490[/snapback]

No, it's not. He told me there was some governing body that decides certain things for both parties. The parties don't have a choice in a few things. I forgot what he called it. I will send him an email and see what it is called. Obviously, the parties had a choice as to who was allowed to get press credentials, which is how the Dems decided not to allow Al Jazeera there.

He was one of the 6-7 bloggers that were given press credentials for the conventions. Even though he is a liberal, he was blasting the Dems when they gave him his credentials, because they thought he should be what he called "part of the team", which he refused to do. He doesn't mind admitting he is a democrat, but that is not the same as toeing the party line. They thought since they credentialled him that he would cover it favorably but he didn't. He just reported.

His blog is pretty cool. Notice the name is the upper corner. :rolleyes:

http://journalism.nyu.edu/pubzone/weblogs/pressthink/

He was chair of the journalism department at NYU the last few years, and is taking this year off on sabbatical to write a book on the Internet and the Press.

He said his favorite thing at the conventions was being in the arenas when they were completely empty early in the morning and looking at how the two parties had designed certain things for the effects they wanted to create. Then he said he looked up and saw all the skyboxes with the banners, FOX, CNN, ABC, NPR, MSNBC, PBS, etc., and then "Al Jazeera", which he thought was creepy.

DC, as an update, I just asked him...

He said that the "Press Gallery in the House of Representatives" rules on these things. You petition them for credentials and access to the conventions, which Al Jazeera did, and they deemed them worthy of the rights. Then the news organization, like AJ, must go to the Fleet Center or MSG and buy the rights to the box, which they did. But the parties have control over credentials, too, and the Dems didn't specifically allow Al Jazeera to cover the convention live from their box, and the Republicans did.

DC, as an update, I just asked him...

He said that the "Press Gallery in the House of Representatives" rules on these things. You petition them for credentials and access to the conventions, which Al Jazeera did, and they deemed them worthy of the rights. Then the news organization, like AJ, must go to the Fleet Center or MSG and buy the rights to the box, which they did. But the parties have control over credentials, too, and the Dems didn't specifically allow Al Jazeera to cover the convention live from their box, and the Republicans did.

20810[/snapback]

Somehow I think if the conventions had their order flipped, Al Jazeera's access may have been opposite as well.