Election Day Wrapup 2017 - idiots everywhere

I’ll start....

One of our local mayoral candidates is a woman, polling showed she was in a close race with the male candidate. She lost, could not even carry her own neighborhood, lost that at almost a 2-1 margin. Anyways, she’s blaming her loss on being a woman. Forgets that we’ve had a female mayor for the last 8 years. 

Sorry Juanita. People didn’t vote for you because they didn’t like you. Not your gender. 

I agree, Juanita was a weak candidate who was not wholly embraced by the Democrat party or even the Democrat mayor. I know teachers, who are usually Democrat voters, who said they didn't think she was up to the job and thought Walsh would do a better job. Hopefully he will truly be independent and not a Repub in Indy clothing. He will have to work with a County Legislator that became more Democratic.

Trump's claim that Gillespie lost because he didn't embrace Trump more just doesn't hold up to facts. Exit polling showed those that voted against Gillespie and Republican control in Virginia were motivated to send a message against Trump by 50% more than those that voted against Trump in 2016.

how bad is it for the anti gay political party when a transgender Dem win "her" race?

22 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

Trump's claim that Gillespie lost because he didn't embrace Trump more just doesn't hold up to facts.

Gillespe was following Trumps stumping by calling out Dems for not being "hard" on MS13, leaving Confederate  statues where they are and  opposing sanctuary cities, which don't exist in Va (from what I have heard) 

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

sanctuary cities, which don't exist in Va (from what I have heard) 

They don't exist anywhere.  It's a political talking point used by both sides to get people riled up.  DHS and ICE couldn't care less about some loony lefty mayor making proclamations regarding illegals in their cities.

2 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

They don't exist anywhere.  It's a political talking point used by both sides to get people riled up.  DHS and ICE couldn't care less about some loony lefty mayor making proclamations regarding illegals in their cities.

They do.  But "sanctuary" is limited to "Local law enforcement will not cooperate with ICE in any way, shape, or form."  

Which, given that ICE demands that local law enforcement be specifically empowered to enforce immigration law, is not something I objectively have a problem with.  Subjectively, though, you're right - it's always presented hyperbolically for scoring political points.

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

how bad is it for the anti gay political party when a transgender Dem win "her" race?

Gillespe was following Trumps stumping by calling out Dems for not being "hard" on MS13, leaving Confederate  statues where they are and  opposing sanctuary cities, which don't exist in Va (from what I have heard) 

VA doesn't have any cities that have designated "sanctuary legislation," because it would be a violation of state law. 

But there's quite a few cities that will go way the hell out of their way to avoid putting an immigrant in to the justice system, to avoid having to report their fingerprints to the FBI or DHS (which is required by law in VA for all arrests).  You can actually get away with a surprising amount in some cities in VA as an immigrant that would get you arrested as a resident (off the top of my head, what I've seen first-hand: criminal harassment, trespassing, DWI, hit and run.)

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

They do.  But "sanctuary" is limited to "Local law enforcement will not cooperate with ICE in any way, shape, or form."  

Fair enough, but add another thing to the list of "**** ICE doesn't care about." 

Saratoga Springs PD basically got a courtesy call from ICE about a half hour into their spook operation this past June.  "Oh, by the way, we're snatching illegals off the street as we speak...no, no we don't need any of your officers around.  Bye now."

And Saratoga contributed much to the ERO that day.  Huzzah!