Would we Trade for Garoppolo?

The juice

On 11/5/2017 at 6:40 PM, The Frankish Reich said:

Niners are in kind of a weird situation here - you're 0-8, losing today, keeping pace game-for-game with the Browns for the #1 pick.  Play Jimmy G. and you'll probably win a couple games even if he isn't that great (because that's how rough CJ Beathard has been).  But you want to see if Jimmy G. is worth that big contract extension you're contemplating. Or do you keep him sitting so that he remains a largely unknown quantity to hold the bidding down?

You play him half a game and other QB other half.  The argument is you are giving him experience with the not stated expectation the season will be a dog.

On 11/5/2017 at 11:51 AM, Buffalo30 said:

He is so unproven, I would not be willing to throw a 1st rounder for him.  He is a short QB who can run well...sound familiar?  He played sparingly in a system that helps the QB play well and throw the ball quickly before any pressure can get to him.  Not convinced he will be a great or even above average QB going forward.  I agree the cost isn't that bad but I'd rather draft our guy if we were looking to replace Tyrod.  This team just needs to be patient and fill in the holes in the mean time until they get the opportunity to draft the right guy.  Watson might have been the biggiest miss so far even though he resembled Tyrod perhaps too much for people's liking.  We must be patient.  

I would be concerned about durability too.

I would absolutely trade a 1st for garoppolo.  First of all, he is a quarterback... so there is a premium to be paid for the position alone.  Additionally, he has had success in the NFL (thus far) and he also had success in college.  If that does not qualify someone to be worth a first round pick, then I don't know what does! 

8 hours ago, berg1029 said:

I would absolutely trade a 1st for garoppolo.  First of all, he is a quarterback... so there is a premium to be paid for the position alone.  Additionally, he has had success in the NFL (thus far) and he also had success in college.  If that does not qualify someone to be worth a first round pick, then I don't know what does! 

2.5 games = success?

ok. 

6 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

That's more NFL success than any 1st round qb will have had

Que?

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'd be really happy getting a guy whose only chance at playing meaningful football ended after about 14 seconds due to injury.

It was 1.5 games. 

To be fair.  

Then Jacobey went 1 game before injury and 1.5 total games before getting shut out by a Rex Ryan defense 

What did Indy give up for JB?

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

Que?

Ok, let me put this another way.  He has had more NFL success than any rookie QB chosen in the first round will have had.  In other words.. he is more de-risked than any draft pick.  Look at the list of QBs chosen in the 1st round for the last 10 or so years.  Tell me that you wouldn't take Garoppolo over at least 80% of them. 

11 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Please pass me that joint.  

Example 1 

#6: Matt Ryan (Falcons, 2008) The No. 3 pick in the 2008 draft, Ryan led Atlanta to the playoffs in his first season after the team went 4-12 the year before.

I swear, you're not reading, you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.  But nevertheless, I'll clarify again: 

I said, tell me you wouldn't take Garoppolo over 80% of them.  Of course there are individual examples of 1st round QBs that haven't sucked.  Obviously, anyone would take a QB like Matt Ryan over him.  Duh.  But chances are, he will be better than a large majority of the QBs that have been selected in the first round. 

3 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

I swear, you're not reading, you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.  But nevertheless, I'll clarify again: 

I said, tell me you wouldn't take Garoppolo over 80% of them.  Of course there are individual examples of 1st round QBs that haven't sucked.  Obviously, anyone would take a QB like Matt Ryan over him.  Duh.  But chances are, he will be better than a large majority of the QBs that have been selected in the first round. 

I agree 100 % with this......With JG, we know he can make NFL throws and can handle the pressure....with a 1st pick, it's all unknown.....the only argument you could make is the $'s....with a pick, you have the player for 4-5 years without breaking the bank....