Broncos Bench Trevor Siemian for Brock Osweiler

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Nothing surprising there. He "could" take over if Osweiler (as expected) sucks and the Broncos fall out of any realistic shot at the playoffs.  Remember, the Broncos have the Eagles today and then the Pats next week, so it's not like Brock is getting a soft transition back to starter.  Some might even say he's being set up to fail.  I'll go one further: he "will" take over for the final 4 games if that happens. Paxton, after all, is still Elway's guy, and given what we know about Siemien's and Brock's performance, he's the only guy who has yet to prove himself incapable of being a quality NFL starter. Faint praise ...

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

Nothing surprising there. He "could" take over if Osweiler (as expected) sucks and the Broncos fall out of any realistic shot at the playoffs.  Remember, the Broncos have the Eagles today and then the Pats next week, so it's not like Brock is getting a soft transition back to starter.  Some might even say he's being set up to fail.  I'll go one further: he "will" take over for the final 4 games if that happens. Paxton, after all, is still Elway's guy, and given what we know about Siemien's and Brock's performance, he's the only guy who has yet to prove himself incapable of being a quality NFL starter. Faint praise ...

They better hope that Lynch shows Goff like improvement from his rookie year.

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They better hope that Lynch shows Goff like improvement from his rookie year.

Lynch played very little, and in the little he did play he showed nothing.  The best sources around here in Colorado think Elway (by the way, nobody even considers the ridiculous notion that Vance Joseph is making these decisions) wants Lynch in there for at least a few games this year to decide whether the keep him around to let him compete next year or to just cut ties with him and find a real starter (draft or free agency).  

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Elway has done a nice job in Denver except for identifying their next QB. 

Obviously you have to try to find your guy. And I thought that Lynch had a chance from what very little I saw out of him. But have no idea what he saw in Osweiller outside of big dude/big arm, nor Seimien who to me is the QB equivalent of the dime a dozen RB.

On 11/2/2017 at 12:57 PM, SoTier said:

After watching the how well Taylor played for the Bills and then how poorly Siemian played for the Broncos, I began wondering if it had been Dennison as his OC last season who made him look like a decent QB ... and that Siemian looked like he could use some mentoring. I've been impressed with the improvement that Taylor's made this season, and I was one of Dennison's hardest critics early on.

I'm impressed that Dennison's got Vlad Ducasse playing okay at RG. That's a shocker. Ducasse has failed everywhere else he's been.

I think that QBs taken in the bottom half of the first round are pretty unlikely to amount to much. Of the QBs drafted in the bottom half of the first round between 2000 and 2014, one's career has been compromised by injury (Teddy Bridgewater) so I haven't counted him. That leaves 14 others, and the only three who weren't busts were Chad Pennington (2000), Aaron Rodgers (2005), and Joe Flacco (2008). That's only about 1 in 5 of those QBs being worth a first rounder. It doesn't look good for Lynch.

I understand that this is what motivated Whaley to trade down only to pick 16 - technically the top half of the first round! - to take EJ Manuel.