Another article of overspending in free agency

NFL's free-agent frenzy about more hype than hope

Sure, in all but a few cases, your teams were overpaying for players who couldn't possibly fulfill their attendant hype and bloated price tags. And yes, your teams were likely detonating their caps for years to come for the false promise of immediate results -- as if one player, in this Patriots age, could be the difference-maker, the missing piece to a championship puzzle. It didn't matter that individual players simply don't equal titles; hell, in the one league more competitively balanced than any other (and it ain't even close), one guy's brilliance doesn't even bring the second wild card

So if your boys passed on the opportunity to pay wideout Plaxico Burress waaaay too much jing to underperform for you as he has for Pittsburgh for the past five years, smile. If your team declined the chance to make jettisoned cornerbacks Samari Rolle or the injured, 31-year-old Ty Law (three-time Super Bowl champ or not) the overpaid saviors they'll never be, exalt. And if you're not a fan of the Redskins -- who signed underwhelming left tackle Chris Samuels to a seven-year, $47 million deal (with a team-record $15.75 million bonus) -- hug the one you're with. Because it means your team is rational and financially sound and (best of all) honest enough to realize that headlines don't win games, solid 53-man rosters do.

I dunno, maybe Ole' Whitey is doing something right...

Then again, it feels so much better to say "SIGN SOMEONE,ANYONE TD...OR WE'RE DOOOOOOMED!!!!"

B-)

NFL's free-agent frenzy about more hype than hope

I dunno, maybe Ole' Whitey is doing something right...

Then again, it feels so much better to say "SIGN SOMEONE,ANYONE TD...OR WE'RE DOOOOOOMED!!!!"

B-)

262458[/snapback]

i find it entertaining that article references the patriots "one player doesn't make a difference" style.........the same team that offered derrick mason a boatload of cash.......

i find it entertaining that article references the patriots "one player doesn't make a difference" style.........the same team that offered derrick mason a boatload of cash.......

262469[/snapback]

and summarily cut Brown and Patten to do so.

262469[/snapback]

And the same team that just cut many of their "name" players.

and summarily cut Brown and Patten to do so.

262475[/snapback]

brown's cap number over 5M.........and patten was a free agent, he wasn't cut..........

i think your missing the point.........by going after a marquee free agent they demonstrate they feel the cheap option is not always the way to go........sometimes you have to pay "market value" to fill a need...........

brown's cap number over 5M.........and patten was a free agent, he wasn't cut..........

i think your missing the point.........by going after a marquee free agent they demonstrate they feel the cheap option is not always the way to go........sometimes you have to pay "market value" to fill a need...........

262497[/snapback]

OK, and you're the same one complainig about MW's price tag? The guy was a fourth overall pick. Why do you think he'd have been valued any less?

if by "name" you mean overpaid backups, you are correct........

262500[/snapback]

Oh. Brown was a backup? Interesting.

You really might want to start basing your evaluations in reality. We paid some of our best defensive players "market value" (your new buzzword, i've noticed). Takeo Spikes, Sam Adams, London Fletcher, Milloy. We've also resigned some of our own players "market value" to keep them, such as Schobel and Moulds.

Quite frankly, I've forgotten your point. What was it again? That we don't pay for players we need, or sign the ones that we should? Do you even have a point you can support with facts?

262469[/snapback]

Where do you get "a boatload of cash?" Do you know what New England's offer was, beyond the fact that it was higher than Baltimore's? His contract with Baltimore pays less on average than what New England was due to pay Troy Brown this year. While the contract was by no means a pittance, by "first couple of days of free agency" perspective it's rather small for a receiver...don't you think?

OK, and you're the same one complainig about MW's price tag? The guy was a fourth overall pick. Why do you think he'd have been valued any less?

262509[/snapback]

the dead cap money to cut brown was less then a millon..........we can't do anything with MW (cut or trade him) do the salary cap acceleration that would happen........

i realize a 4th overall pick gets a contract like that.........i questioned the logic of investing that kind of money in a RT, as many others on this board have.........

the dead cap money to cut brown was less then a millon..........we can't do anything with MW (cut or trade him) do the salary cap acceleration that would happen........

i realize a 4th overall pick gets a contract like that.........i questioned the logic of investing that kind of money in a RT, as many others on this board have.........

262538[/snapback]

Come on, you and I both know that the plan was to move him to LT.

and I'll bet you he does this year.

262469[/snapback]

Let's see 5 years, 20 mil from the Ravens... What exactly was the "boatload" offer from NE 5 years, 25 mil ?

Yeah what a blockbuster ... B-)

Oh. Brown was a backup? Interesting.

brown was the #4 WR and a nickel/dime back.......how is that not a backup?

You really might want to start basing your evaluations in reality. We paid some of our best defensive players "market value" (your new buzzword, i've noticed). Takeo Spikes, Sam Adams, London Fletcher, Milloy. We've also resigned some of our own players "market value" to keep them, such as Schobel and Moulds.

Quite frankly, I've forgotten your point. What was it again? That we don't pay for players we need, or sign the ones that we should? Do you even have a point you can support with facts?

my point in this thread had nothing to do with the bills.........we are talking about the pats........and it is obvious they will spend and not always go with the "cheap" route when filling a need...........

262538[/snapback]

Maybe because he was drafted to be a LT?

Whether he has performed up to the pre-draft billing is a different issue from what you pay a No. 4 draft pick slated to become your franchise LT.

ps - Why doesn't your logic in overpaying for "franchise" LTs carry over to MW's contract?

brown was the #4 WR and a nickel/dime back.......how is that not a backup?

my point in this thread had nothing to do with the bills.........we are talking about the pats........and it is obvious they will spend and not always go with the "cheap" route when filling a need...........

262547[/snapback]

That's interesting. Neither do the Bills. Right?

Where do you get "a boatload of cash?"  Do you know what New England's offer was, beyond the fact that it was higher than Baltimore's?  His contract with Baltimore pays less on average than what New England was due to pay Troy Brown this year.  While the contract was by no means a pittance, by "first couple of days of free agency" perspective it's rather small for a receiver...don't you think?

262527[/snapback]

i think it defantiely shys away from the author's point is that the pats don't spend big and go for cheap alternatives........obviously they were willing to pay big for mason........

Maybe because he was drafted to be a LT?

Whether he has performed up to the pre-draft billing is a different issue from what you pay a No. 4 draft pick slated to become your franchise LT. 

ps - Why doesn't your logic in overpaying for "franchise" LTs carry over to MW's contract?

262549[/snapback]

well, i guess we better switch him over to LT then.........seeing that is what his contract demands.......forget the fact he's better suited to play RT........

That's interesting. Neither do the Bills. Right?

262555[/snapback]

Exactly

Need : QB (at the time it was a HUGE need) .... answer: Paid for Drew

Need : ILB (due to Cowart injury) ... answer : Fletcher

Need : OLB ... answer: TKO

Need : Safety .... answer : Milloy

etc....etc....