Ave Maria

/dev/null

It's not following the same track.

It might hit the Carolinas. It'll most likely miss Florida.

Yeah. Said "if". Like you said a while back (week ago or more)... Most of these Cape Verde storms, almost all slam into east coast.

You can see the pattern shifting as the northern hemi heads into the autumnal equinox. Irma was such a strange track.

PR is getting crushed right now. Hope my friends are safe.

We've had boats all month going down to Caribbean. Just had two catamarans this morning heading to Virgin Islands. I said: "Hope something is left" :-( :-(

Co-worker is from PR... He's a bit nervous for his family. Mother is in Florida and hard drive up here to get away from Irma. PR is in rough spot? Where do you go? Mountains?

Good Bless them!

Yeah. Said "if". Like you said a while back (week ago or more)... Most of these Cape Verde storms, almost all slam into east coast.

You can see the pattern shifting as the northern hemi heads into the autumnal equinox. Irma was such a strange track.

Hurricanes go where they do based on atmospheric pressure.

They generally follow the trades from Cape Verde or further west until they encounter a stronger jet stream or pressure systems over our continent.

We rarely see strong winds aloft in the August time frame south of 30 north latitude, so there is nothing to shear them.

They also draw energy from warm water, over 80 degrees.

That's why they generally head into the warmer Gulf of Mexico early in the season, and follow the Gulfstream, more or less, later on.

Ultimately, they are easily steered by pressure systems aloft, and that's why it's tough to predict them over 72 hours.

Thanks for thinking about me. I am ok. Actually going to these first couple Bills games have kept me out of PR for the storms. Currently in FL before flying north Friday.

Reports I have been getting from friends down there are pretty bad. I know my patio doors got blown off and there is broken glass in my living room/kitchen area.

No big deal about doors and maybe some wet furniture as long as everyone is safe. I'll be keeping an eye on more reports as the days go by.

After the initial damage is done however, I worry about recover time. Could be awhile (as in months) before power is restored.

I am supposed to go back Monday morning. Part of me says I should stay with friends on the mainland. Part of me says go back and help out. I'm gonna evaluate reports and make a decision.

Glad to hear damage to your house not catastrophic.

Tough choice I am sure whether to go back or not. No power in the tropics has got to be rough! But certainly understand your desire to help out.

I also feel for the folks in the hospitality industry, lord knows when tourists will return in numbers.