So Tyrod hasent practiced in over a week and a half...

Steptide

Dont need to think there are 2 sides here. The Bills had no leverage, TT could have sat tight.

Try looking at it in terms of negotiation :

Old Contract : The Bills wanted to place a simultaneous bet on Taylor either as a spectacular success or bust. With the former, they had him locked up very long term at a pretty cheap rate. If the latter, they could dump him after one year. Taylor gave up all leverage with this trade-off, but received one major thing : His first real paycheck of starter QB money.

New Contract : The Bills still want maximum flexibility to keep or drop Taylor. This reflects the fact TT was neither a spectacular success or bust. The one outcome not covered by the old contract was the result. Meanwhile, Taylor gets a one year compensation slightly more than the old deal, but this time he gets flexibility afterwards. Given Taylor is known for an aggressive belief in himself, this puts him out on the open market, still young, with the chance to earn significantly more than the old contract numbers.

Options, Taylor : No one knows what Taylor might have got on the open markets. Probably nowhere near the guaranteed money of the old deal. Probably as good (or a little better) than the short term money of the new deal. But Taylor's future lies in a prove-me year. Not disparaging his team spirit, but I suspect he looked at likely landing spots like the Browns or Jets and thought Buffalo was the best vehicle for his career. If that's the case, then joke's on him, huh? He must have banged his head on the wall when the Bills dumped Watkins in a firesale. His prove-me year is now on a team that doesn't have this season as their primary focus

Edited by grb

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Options, Taylor : No one knows what Taylor might have got on the open markets. Probably no where near the guaranteed money of the old deal. Probably as good (or a little better) than the short term money of the new deal.

A link was provided that said Denver offered TT more money he chose Buffalo.

Great post grb.

My point was if TT was the super pro-bowl guy with all the awesome stats he would not needed to renegotiate.

I dont believe TT is a carry the team QB, but good enough to be a cog in the machine. Last year he dont not have the best of receiving group to work with in fairness.

A link was provided that said Denver offered TT more money he chose Buffalo.

They did before the 2015 season, for sure. I don't know if Denver ever signaled a serious interest in Taylor this off-season. If they had, TT might have been tempted - as the Broncos are a winning organization. But to leave the Bills and end up with, say, the Browns must have been a nightmare scenario. The Bills have seemed close the last two years : tighten-up the defense, fill a few holes, pull out some close games and they're at ten wins and a wildcard. That might still be the case - both the offense & defense might well perform significantly better or worse than last year's team - it could go either way. People stew over strength of schedule, but they did so last year with Arizona and Cincinnati.

My point was if TT was the super pro-bowl guy with all the awesome stats he would not needed to renegotiate.

I dont believe TT is a carry the team QB, but good enough to be a cog in the machine. Last year he dont not have the best of receiving group to work with in fairness.

Taylor's performance last season didn't justify a long-term commitment. That's true without question. But once the long-term option was off the table, I think Taylor & the Bills negotiated a deal which worked pretty good for both sides. That wouldn't be a very notable point to make, but some people aren't happy unless a contract is seen as one side ravaging the other.

Where have i crowned anything with Peterman. Please show me where. I really would love to see that.

Fact is he is a better QB throwing than TT. Is a Rookie and before going into a loaded QB draft should see what you have out of him.

Sorry you just cant accept that and think this is a playoff team.

You cant be serious.... if you are then let me know so I can just go ahead and talk to a dirt pile somewhere...