So Boldin retired?

It is entirely possible that Charlottesville was the final straw that broke the camel's back. I get how emotional people get over that stuff. Even so, I can't imagine it being the primary reason. In my opinion, the timing of it allowed him to use it as THE excuse when it was likely just one of multiple factors. It allowed him to bury any discussion about his situation in Buffalo because nobody is ever going to push him hard about it. (nor should they)

He knows darn well that whatever he does in the next 6 months could be done starting in January. And that measly $1.75 million he gave up could have been used in some productive way to promote his anti-racism pursuits - or used in any other way he saw fit for that matter.

(Wawrow disagrees) You're entitled to. Care to explain why?

PolishDave, with respect - because you can't imagine it being a primary reason, does not mean it can't be a primary reason for someone with a different POV. No one involved in human events gets a "do over" so it's really impossible to say something like "he knows darn well that whatever he does in the next 6 months could be done starting in January". Maybe, maybe not. You may believe that and he may believe differently, but you don't get to pronounce "he knows darn well".

I do agree with you that it's probably one of several factors. The day after a game is no doubt tough, and gets to be too much for a guy if his heart and head aren't fully in it. I'm sure that's a factor. He looked slow and perhaps he saw he's really lost a step and can't contribute as he'd like to - but I don't think any competitor ever really believes he's done for and really can't cut it. I mean, I respect him too but look at FredEx saying he still wants to play when you could see, with the Seahawks, how much he'd lost and how frustrated he was to get stopped short by tackles he must know he would have evaded 1-2 years previously. If Boldin still wanted to play, he'd believe that Darby was a fluke and he just needs some more sprint work to get back into playing shape or something. So that really comes down to "he realized his heart and head aren't fully into it now".

I guess what puzzles me is, why not take a guy at his word? Why what amounts to a seeming religious faith (ie no arguments will sway it) that the guy must be lying?

With regard to Wawrow, he interviewed Boldin. Yolo posted his link earlier in the thread, or google search Wawrow and Boldin.

Will this thread remain active longer than Boldin's Bills career?

It hasn't already?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PolishDave, with respect - because you can't imagine it being a primary reason, does not mean it can't be a primary reason for someone with a different POV. No one involved in human events gets a "do over" so it's really impossible to say something like "he knows darn well that whatever he does in the next 6 months could be done starting in January". Maybe, maybe not. You may believe that and he may believe differently, but you don't get to pronounce "he knows darn well".

I do agree with you that it's probably one of several factors. The day after a game is no doubt tough, and gets to be too much for a guy if his heart and head aren't fully in it. I'm sure that's a factor. He looked slow and perhaps he saw he's really lost a step and can't contribute as he'd like to - but I don't think any competitor ever really believes he's done for and really can't cut it. I mean, I respect him too but look at FredEx saying he still wants to play when you could see, with the Seahawks, how much he'd lost and how frustrated he was to get stopped short by tackles he must know he would have evaded 1-2 years previously. If Boldin still wanted to play, he'd believe that Darby was a fluke and he just needs some more sprint work to get back into playing shape or something. So that really comes down to "he realized his heart and head aren't fully into it now".

I guess what puzzles me is, why not take a guy at his word? Why what amounts to a seeming religious faith (ie no arguments will sway it) that the guy must be lying?

I don't think he lied dude. I think he conveniently neglected to mention that his situation in Buffalo was at least PART of his decision to retire. There is a difference between lying and withholding additional details. And I think he knows that he has absolutely nothing to gain at all by mentioning the situation in Buffalo. The only thing it does is cause certain people (Beane & McDermott) unnecessary grief. And that is totally avoidable by simply not mentioning it at all. Nobody has anything to gain by Bolding mentioning anything at all about the Buffalo Bills.

That's all. I have absolutely nothing against the guy.

I don't know him personally. It is entirely possible I am completely wrong and that the receiver/offense situation in Buffalo had absolutely ZERO to do with his decision (I don't believe that for a second).

But, If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, I am calling it a duck.

You and everyone else are free to disagree. It's just an opinion from a guy who doesn't know him personally.

@salsports

Boldin says the killing of his cousin 2 years ago began thought of retirement; Charlottesville was the tipping point

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/boldin-killing-cousin-began-thoughts-retirement-charlottesville-was-tipping-point

That was a good read. Givrd some perspective on where his mind is at.

I respect that once he felt that football was not 100% his main passion and primary focus anymore, he chose to walk away from it and pursue what he sees as his new calling in life. I can respect that. I wish him all the best and hope he is able to make a difference.

I also respect that he chose to retire instead of just taking the Bills money for a season while not being fully committed.

@salsports

Boldin says the killing of his cousin 2 years ago began thought of retirement; Charlottesville was the tipping point

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/boldin-killing-cousin-began-thoughts-retirement-charlottesville-was-tipping-point

I'm guessing someone will come in and claim that his statement is code for him having no faith in the Bills and was upset over them hoodwinking him into signing.