Recall comments from McNally about our line...

SDS

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line:  I'd like to snag another guy like Chris Vilarial a few weeks into the FA period at a reasonable price than overpay just to pull the trigger quickly.

260722[/snapback]

Sigh...

The problem with that is that V was one of the better guards available last year, and he was signed on the first day of FA...not a few weeks in.

I would agree on getting another player of his talent level, but it sure isn't going to happen in a couple of weeks.

Sigh...

The problem with that is that V was one of the better guards available last year, and he was signed on the first day of FA...not a few weeks in.

260744[/snapback]

And every player is different. CV wanted to be here. He wasn't entertaining other offers.

And every player is different.  CV wanted to be here.  He wasn't entertaining other offers.

260751[/snapback]

He didn't have time. TD called him at 12:01 and gave him one of those take it or leave it offers I believe, the same way he did with Posey. The only reason it took until the next afternoon was the fly him here and sign him.

You're right about the fact that CV did want to be here though and that every player is different. Moreover, for all we know, TD could have been on the phone with every single player we jokers have been clamoring for, and they have either priced themselves out of the ballpark, said we're talking to everyone, said let's talk later, are presently negotiating with us, desperately want to come here but are terrified of being called an assclown on TSW, or any number of reasons why they haven't signed here yet.

And every player is different.  CV wanted to be here.  He wasn't entertaining other offers.

260751[/snapback]

I agree, and that's why I said earlier that I'm not freaking out yet. There is still time to bring people in.

I think my problem right now is that there has been no news about ANYONE being contacted or brought in. I know very well that doesn't mean we aren't talking to anyone, it just makes it harder to keep my cool. Even if we talked to someone that signed elsewhere I would know they are TRYING.

I agree, and that's why I said earlier that I'm not freaking out yet.  There is still time to bring people in.

I think my problem right now is that there has been no news about ANYONE being contacted or brought in.  I know very well that doesn't mean we aren't talking to anyone, it just makes it harder to keep my cool.  Even if we talked to someone that signed elsewhere I would know they are TRYING.

260773[/snapback]

I'm glad there is no news. That means we're not being used as leverage for a better deal elsewhere and that idiot Jerry Sullivan is probably eating his own flesh.

260744[/snapback]

CV signed a reasonable 4-year, $12 million deal. That's a whole lot better than dropping a double-figure signing bonus on an above average O-lineman just so we can get on SportsCenter in week one of FA.

I believe McNally was quoted as saying he'd like to move MW to LT or LG.

260553[/snapback]

The more I think about it, the more it's possible the big plan for the OL involves a move of MW to LT. Follow me here:

1) TD is ALL about value

2) TD gets Moulds to restructure - yet MW (the BIGGER CAP HIT) hasn't

3) MW's cap hit is $9M - for a RT?

4) LT's are the most expensive OL's out there

5) McNally interested in reshuffling the line

6) Bills make no move to resign JJ

7) Bills want an offense that can move JP out of the pocket - is MW the prototypical RT that you want in front of a rolling JP? I say no, you want someone a bit more athletic.

8) If JJ Shelton was the answer at LT, the Bills probably would have thrown in a pick with Henry and pulled the trigger already.

TD's on record saying the O wasn't good enough - maybe he's saving his $$ to spend on a FA TE.

I agree with you completely. Recall that almost every year for the past 5 years, we are given this same damn message 'we will be fine with what we have'. Bulls**t ! We continually ignore the OL and go through another year of mediocrity. While JJ may not have been the best at his position, retaining him would have provided some consistency and still given McNally a chance for the shuffle dance. We need to get some half-way decent FAs as the draft is a crapshoot.

last thing I want is to design an offense on JP's scrambling capabilities alone and turn him into a Vick type of player. I would rather he develop into a favre-type player who scrambles when plays break down.

If we do not give JP a decent OL, he will suck and then we will pronounce him a bust giving YET ANOTHER excuse for not making the playoffs in 2005.

Again, I am not hitting the panic button, but I don't see any FA OL left out there who are decent. I am just hoping TD is working behind the scenes and not just prepping us for 'we have all the talent we need' nonsense.

260737[/snapback]

2001 - Jennings

2002 - Teague and Williams

2004 - Villarrial and McNally

I don't think the line has been ignored almost every year for the last 5 years, unfortunately our line was pretty awful to begin with and there is only so much that can be done at one time, especially since the team was so horrendously bad at most positions when TD had to make all those salary cap cuts (it was not just the loss of the starters but we had very little 'up and coming' talent / depth when he took over either).

That being said I do hope we bring in at least one other decent lineman and resign Price as the front does look a little thin right now.

2001 - Jennings

2002 - Teague and Williams

2004 - Villarrial and McNally

I don't think the line has been ignored almost every year for the last 5 years, unfortunately our line was pretty awful to begin with and there is only so much that can be done at one time, especially since the team was so horrendously bad at most positions when TD had to make all those salary cap cuts (it was not just the loss of the starters but we had very little 'up and coming' talent / depth when he took over either).

That being said I do hope we bring in at least one other decent lineman and resign Price as the front does look a little thin right now.

262051[/snapback]

True, TD has devoted resources to the OL. The problem was Mr. Butler (rest his soul) in terms of blocking. While other teams such as the Steelers were bringing in monster linemen, we were getting Spriggs, Nails, Panos, Farris, Loucheiy and other bad players.

To make things worse, he signed a stiff, Jerry Ostroski, to a huge long term deal, and John Fina is a rich man today with the money he was paid for being a bad LT. Our OL was garbage when TD arrived.

I believe that there is never a bad time to draft players who can block. I also hope that TD has is eye on a particular OG in this draft class. Ruben Brown excelled as a rookie. Others have done well.

The only problem I see is that the Bills are in a near crisis situation at CB. This will have to be addressed as well.

Remember those rumors.....Henry for Surtain? THAT would have been great! It would have allowed TD to focus more on the OL.

Good point SDS you might be right and I forgot about that article.  I think that a need for a center is in the mix if that is the case.  It could be that TD is talking to one right now via fa.  They do generally come cheaper than ot and this might be a smart plan, if thats what he's up to.

If Mc Nally were to rearrange the line it could look like this:

(LT) Williams  (LG) Tucker  © ???????  (RG) Villarial  (RT) Teague

This makes sense doesn't it?

260686[/snapback]

no-teague is a natural LT with balance adn quick feete and MW is better suited for RT since he is strong and powerful, but not quick enough to handle speed rushers.

Absolutely stupid to move them just to fit some pre-ordained salary configuration.