Compensation

Yeah, I know this is ridculously early to bring this up, but if Donahoe really is going to sit on his hands and not make any moves during free agency, what kind of compensation could we get in the 2006 draft? A third rounder? Do you think Donahoe has been considering this, too?

Yeah, I know this is ridculously early to bring this up, but if Donahoe really is going to sit on his hands and not make any moves during free agency, what kind of compensation could we get in the 2006 draft?  A third rounder?  Do you think Donahoe has been considering this, too?

260010[/snapback]

I think JJ gets us a 3rd and PW a 5th.

Yeah, I know this is ridculously early to bring this up, but if Donahoe really is going to sit on his hands and not make any moves during free agency, what kind of compensation could we get in the 2006 draft?  A third rounder?  Do you think Donahoe has been considering this, too?

260010[/snapback]

I seriously doubt that TD is basing his decisions on whether to sign F/A's based on what compensatory picks he would get next year.

I seriously doubt that TD is basing his decisions on whether to sign F/A's based on what compensatory picks he would get next year.

260163[/snapback]

so why isn't he signing a guy like andruzzi??

Apparently he didn't think PW played that well last year. We could have offered a very cap friendly offer very close to the Vikes. JJ was way too much to sign. Bad day yesterday for the Bills. Edwards needs to step up big time. Our run defense just took a big blow. Remeber when we lost Ted Washington and we were going to stop the run with numbers in '01. How did that work out for us?

Apparently he didn't think PW played that well last year.  We could have offered a very cap friendly offer very close to the Vikes.  JJ was way too much to sign.  Bad day yesterday for the Bills.  Edwards needs to step up big time.  Our run defense just took a big blow.  Remeber when we lost Ted Washington and we were going to stop the run with numbers in '01.  How did that work out for us?

260171[/snapback]

Let's not forget the Bills still have Sam Adams. They need (at worst) a decent DT next to him to pick up the slack. I loved Pat Williams, but maybe TD and the coaches know something we don't.

Could this also be a precursor to a move to a 3-4 defense?

Do we have 4-6 LBs good enough to play the 3-4? I could see not signing PW if he was going to cost 5M/year. But signing him for a cap figure of about 3M/year for a great DT is very reasonable in today's NFL. Bad move by TD to not even lift a finger to get him back.

My guess is that he must be very tight with Crennel from their time together in NE and it was a done deal prior to F/A.

260180[/snapback]

right.......just like the only reason PW and JJ left is because they're greedy.........and the only reason mike wahle and marco rivera aern't being pursued by buffalo is because they're too expensive........it's got nothing to do with TD downgrading positions by being cheap.........

i understand that..........at very decent money.......so why didn't we try to land him?

260176[/snapback]

Let me ask you a question. How do you know Donahoe didnt make any calls to get him? Hmmm? I love it how we assume that one day of inactivity means that Donahoe slept in or something. Just because you dont hear about things doesnt mean that TD isnt actively working on signings or trades...none of us have a microphone in his office, so just sit back, relax and see what happens.

Some people just need to freak out I suppose.

Let me ask you a question.  How do you know Donahoe didnt make any calls to get him?  Hmmm?  I love it how we assume that one day of inactivity means that Donahoe slept in or something.  Just because you dont hear about things doesnt mean that TD isnt actively working on signings or trades...none of us have a microphone in his office, so just sit back, relax and see what happens. 

Some people just need to freak out I suppose.

260196[/snapback]

and some of us just like to make excuse after excuse for TD........

and some of us just like to make excuse after excuse for TD........

260201[/snapback]

I'm not making excuses for the man, I'm simply saying that overreacting after 24 hours of free agency is absolutely absurd. Before you organize your lynch mob, give Donahoe a few more days to piss you off.

I'm not making excuses for the man, I'm simply saying that overreacting after 24 hours of free agency is absolutely absurd.  Before you organize your lynch mob, give Donahoe a few more days to piss you off.

260209[/snapback]

it's not about the "24 hours of free agency"........it's about letting big pat and jonas get to free agency without even an offer in the last 8 months.......despite the fact he stated numerous times that he "wanted them back"..........it's no wonder they jumped on offers so quick -- it was obvious TD didn't want anything to do with them and treated them like garbage........

but wait, everyone told me i didn't know what was going on behind the scenes then too.......that TD was probably working on a deal in the background........that big pat would come crawling back........that JJ would find a "bad market" and not get anywhere close to 5M a season.......

same old story with TD.......looking to go for cheap, 2nd rate talent and downgrade the lineup of a non-playoff team........

but if you guys are happy with this, to each his own.......i disagree with the strategy, and i will continue to.........

right.......just like the only reason PW and JJ left is because they're greedy.........and the only reason mike wahle and marco rivera aern't being pursued by buffalo is because they're too expensive........it's got nothing to do with TD downgrading positions by being cheap.........

260193[/snapback]

Maybe...just maybe, they don't like Andruzzi as a player. It's only been one day. They need to address LT prior to LG in my opinion. If the draft passes a month and a half from now and we still haven't addressed LT and LG, then we should all be concerned.

Maybe...just maybe, they don't like Andruzzi as a player.  It's only been one day.  They need to address LT prior to LG in my opinion.  If the draft passes a month and a half from now and we still haven't addressed LT and LG, then we should all be concerned.

260216[/snapback]

and god knows they are never wrong in their talent evaluations of guards...... :doh:

ex. see pete kendall and his pro-bowl caliber season with the jets..

Do we have 4-6 LBs good enough to play the 3-4?  I could see not signing PW if he was going to cost 5M/year.  But signing him for a cap figure of about 3M/year for a great DT is very reasonable in today's NFL.  Bad move by TD to not even lift a finger to get him back.

260185[/snapback]

I said it yesterday and I 'll say it again, forget the 3-4 . Grey has absolutely no experience with it. Lets not forget that TD does not operate in a vacume. Remember a couple of weeks ago when Drew was let go after extensive grading by the coaching staff. Well, maybe, just maybe, Grey said after the same type of grading process that Pat was expendable if he cost more than X dollars, and that the boys behing could fill in. I am not one who tapes every game and goes back and dissects every play, or even understands what each players assisgment is on every play, so I am assuming Grey and TD know more than me.

Please do not lose sight of the fact that the two franchices that are looked at to be model franchices continually let"key" but old and or expensive players go. Todays NFL

Do we have 4-6 LBs good enough to play the 3-4?  I could see not signing PW if he was going to cost 5M/year.  But signing him for a cap figure of about 3M/year for a great DT is very reasonable in today's NFL.  Bad move by TD to not even lift a finger to get him back.

260185[/snapback]

As some one suggested in another thread, I don't think Jerry Gray is comfortable

with a 3-4 scheme, so much so that when he came with GW to the Bills they

scrapped the existing 3rd ranked defense usign 3-4 for a 4-3.

How do you know TD did not make an attempt. If the original deal is correct

then the bills did offer him close to 14M with a smaller bonus. May be if PW

came back with a proposal and they could have met somewhere midway and

done a deal. Don't blame TD on this. PW and his agent also have a say on

this.

May be if PWcame back with a proposal and they could have met somewhere midway anddone a deal.  Don't blame TD on this.  PW and his agent also have a say on this.

260227[/snapback]

why would big pat do any favors for the bills after they ignored him for 8 months? TD never even made an attempt to sign him, treating him like garbage........PW and his agent deserve no blame what so ever.........they did what they had to do........what were they supposed to do? wait until TD finally picked up his phone and rang? he had 8 months to do that and never bothered..........